City of Marquette
Marquette County Michigan

Birds Eye View 1912 from Paul Petosky
Marquette was created on September 14, 1849, with the formation of the Marquette Iron Company. Robert J. Graveraet, who had prospected the region for ore; Edward Clark, agent for Waterman A. Fisher of Worcester, Massachusetts, who financed the company, and Amos Rogers Harlow were the three men that made Marquette get its start. It was first named Worcester, with Amos Rogers Harlow as the first postmaster. On August 21, 1850, the name was changed to honor Jacques Marquette, the missionary who had explored the region. Another postoffice was named Carp River and opened on October 13, 1851 by Peter White. Harlow closed his post office in August 1852. The Marquette Iron Company failed, while its successor, the Cleveland Iron Mining Company flourished. The plat was recorded by Peter White.

Marquette was first platted by the Cleveland Iron Mining company in August, 1854, and recorded the same year before the county register, Peter White. The original plat included that part of the city extending from a point below Fisher street to halt a block north of Spring street and from the bay to Fifth street. A thirty-six acre addition was platted shortly after for John Burt. Edward Cook, M. L. Hewitt, Charles Johnson, and Eliza T. Duncan of the Cleveland company. The two additions of Harlow, Hewitt's addition, Burt & Ely's addition, and the additions of Penny & Vaughn were all made before the village was incorporated by the legislature in 1859. The great fire of 1868 that laid waste the community destroyed all the village records, so that the village officers before that time are not known. On April 5, 1869, the people of the village, stimulated to action by the disastrous fire, voted a loan of $100,000 for the establishment of a waterworks and fire system. Through a technicality the vote was declared illegal and on the following August, the amount of $50,000 was voted for the same purpose. The Holly Manufacturing company secured the contract to supply pumps that would have a total capacity of 2.000,000 gallons daily and the T. T. Hurley contracting concern was awarded the contract for building the engine house on lighthouse point. The waterworks, still located in the same place was remodeled in 1890 to triple the daily capacity, and the city of Marquette, drawing its water from a point seven hundred feet in the lake, has as good a supply as it is possible to secure.

In July, 1867, the council granted the Marquette Gas Light company the right to erect buildings and lay mains, so that by 1869 the city was lighted by that means. In 1890, the city council granted a franchise to the Marquette & Presque Isle railway which began laying its tracks that summer and has since served the people of this community.

Marquette was incorporated as a city by an act of the legislature approved February 27. 1871, and on April 3, that year, these city officers were elected: II. II. Safford, mayor; Arch Benedict, recorder; F. M. Moore, treasurer; John G. O'Keefe, school inspector and justice of the peace; Jacob Dolf, constable; and T. T. Hurley, P. C. Parkinson, and James M. Wilkinson, aldermen. Source: A history of the upper peninsula of Michigan. Author: Fuller, George N. (George Newman), 1873-1957.

Originally established in Houghton County as Carp River on January 12, 1847 with William B. McNair as the first postmaster. Changed to Marquette COunty on June 29, 1848. The Carp River Post Office discontinued operation on April 2, 1851 and was re-established on October 13, 1851 with Peter White as postmaster. On April 17, 1856 is was changed to Marquette #2 Post Office and is currently an active post office today. The Worchester Post Office was established on September 14, 1849 with Amos Rogers Harlow as its first postmaster. On August 21, 1850, the Worchester Post Office became the Marquette #1 Post Office (named in honor of Jacques Marquette, the french Jesuit missionary) and discontinued operation on August 16, 1852. The Carp River Post Office and the Worchester Post Office were in direct competetion at the same time.

Historical Facts: The old Marquette, MI Post Office and Custom House pictured was built at a cost of over $81,000 and construction was completed in 1889. It was located at the corner of West Washington and North Third Streets in Marquette. The last day at this post office building was February 1, 1936. This building was demolished in February 1936 to make way for the new Post Office and Court House at this same location. The Official Opening of the new Marquette Post Office and Court House took place on April 10, 1937. City Hall which is pictured to the left, is still standing today next to the new post office and court house.


Granite Island Light Station (1920s) Contributed by Paul E. Petosky


Marquette, MI (Lighthouse) (1940s) Contributed by Paul E. Petosky


Marquette, MI (Court House) (1940s) Contributed by Paul E. Petosky


Marquette, MI (Father Marquette Monument) (1930s) Contributed by Paul E. Petosky



Marquette, MI (St. Mary's Hospital) (Built in 1890) - contributed by Paul Petosky



Marquette, MI - Morgan Hts., Sanitarium 1950's - contributed by Paul Petosky



Marquette, MI (Front Street) (1905) - contributed by Paul Petosky


Marquette, MI (Front Street) (1910) - contributed by Paul Petosky



Marquette, MI (Front Street) 1940's - contributed by Paul Petosky



Marquette, MI (West Washington Street) (1920s) - contributed by Paul Petosky



Marquette, MI (State Fish Hatchery) (1920) - contributed by Paul Petosky



Marquette, MI (Birchmont Cabins) (1950s) - contributed by Paul Petosky



Marquette, MI (The Harbor) (1905) - contributed by Paul Petosky



Marquette, MI (Lakeside Park) (1940s) - contributed by Paul Petosky



Marquette, MI (Queen City Motel) (1950s) - contributed by Paul Petosky



Marquette, MI (Raikko's Motel) (1950s) - contributed by Paul Petosky



Marquette, MI (Bishop Baraga School & St. Peter's Cathedral) (1912)
- contributed by Paul Petosky



Marquette, MI (Captain Johnston Residence) (1915) - contributed by Paul Petosky



Marquette, MI - K I Sawyer AFB 1960's - contributed by Paul Petosky



Marquette, MI - Opera House 1917 - contributed by Paul Petosky



Marquette, MI - Vandenboom Dairy 1922 - contributed by Paul Petosky

Home