Marquette County
Michigan

Negaunee City Hall

Postcard 1940's from Paul Petosky


Negaunee, although mines were in operation and the Marquette & Bay de Noquet railroad had been built to that place, dates its real beginning from 1865, when the construction of the Soo canal opened the Upper Peninsula iron deposits to the outside world. In 1865, J. P. Pendill and the Pioneer company made two separate plats of the village, the latter naming its village Iron and the former taking the name of Negaunee, which means “pioneer” or “first." In the fall of that year, it was incorporated as a village, and a jail and town hall was built at a cost of $10,000. The following year witnessed the erection of a Union school at a cost of $8,000. The burning of the Pioneer Furnace in 1874 caused a local panic that for a time threatened the prosperity of the place, but the community soon recovered, and today it, and its sister city Ishpeming, are the center of the iron mining in this section of the country.
Source: A history of the upper peninsula of Michigan ... Author: Fuller, George N. (George Newman), 1873-1957.



Negaunee, MI (City Hall) (1906) - contributed by Paul Petosky



Negaunee, MI (Fire Hall) (1911) - contributed by Paul Petosky



Negaunee, MI (Iron Street) (1909) - contributed by Paul Petosky



Negaunee, MI (Iron Street) (1909) - Contributed by Paul Petosky



Negaunee, MI (Iron Street) (1940)- contributed by Paul Petosky



Negaunee, MI (Iron Street) (1940)- contributed by Paul Petosky



Negaunee, MI (Teal Lake Bluff) (1940s) - contributed by Paul Petosky



Negaunee, MI (Cedar Lake Cliffs Drive) (1910) - contributed by Paul Petosky



Negaunee, MI (Maas Mine) (1910s) - contributed by Paul Petosky



Negaunee, MI (Maas Mine) (1914s) - contributed by Paul Petosky



Negaunee, MI (Mary-Charlotte Iron Mine) (1907) - contributed by Paul Petosky



Negaunee, MI (Kelly's Slide) (Interior View) (1950s) - contributed by Paul Petosky



Negaunee, MI (Union Station) (1919) - contributed by Paul Petosky



Negaunee, MI (Saw Mill) (1908) - contributed by Paul Petosky



Negaunee, MI (Jackson Monument - First Iron Ore Discovered here in 1855) (1930s)
- contributed by Paul Petosky



Negaunee, MI (Negaunee Nursery & Greenhouses) (1909) - contributed by Paul Petosky



Negaunee, MI (Negaunee Baseball Team -1910) - contributed by Paul Petosky



Negaunee, MI Hospital 1910 - contributed by Paul Petosky



Negaunee, MI - Athens Mine 1930 - contributed by Paul Petosky



Home