Mason County, Michigan
Genealogy and History
VILLAGE OF CUSTER
The village of Custer is situated in about the center of the township. It is a station on the Flint & Pere Marquette Railroad and is a thrifty business point. The village was platted in the Fall of 1878 by Charles E. Resseguie, of Ludington, who owned a large tract of land in Eden Township. He erected a store and other buildings, and the same Fall J. L. and C. T. Wicks built a sawmill which is now owned by Mr. Resseguie. In the Spring of 1880, Harlin started a wooden bowl factory and a store, and about the same time a tannery was started. The lumber and manufacturing interests give employment to a large number of men. New buildings are continually being erected, and the village has every appearance of thrifty growth.
source: History of Manistee, Mason and Oceana Counties, Michigan. Chicago, H.R. Page & Co. 1882
All data on this website is © Copyright by Genealogy Trails with full rights reserved for original submitters.