Custer Township

Mason Co Michigan

In the Full of J. J. Gidding and eighty-five others made application to the board of supervisors to set off from the township of Eden that portion of said township embraced in the surveyed Town 18 north of range 16 west, and to erect and organize the same into a separate township. The application was granted by the board, and the new township was called Custer. The first inspectors of election were Hugh Mcculloch, Henry C. Hansom and John Smith. The first election was held at Black Creek stationhouse the first Monday in April, 1879. Henry C. Ransom was the first clerk of the township, and Albert J. Potter the first treasurer. The present clerk is E. M. Comstock, the treasurer is J.R. Bissell, and supervisor H. C. Ransom.

The township is bounded on the north by Sherman, on the east by Branch, on the south by Eden, and on the west by Amber and Riverton.

There are three schoolhouses in the township outside of Custer village.

The F & P. M. Railway extends across the township from east to west.

There are already a good number of well improved farms in the township, and good crops are produced.

About one-third of the township is clay and the reminder sand. The timber is principally beech, maple and elm. This township belonged to the Indian reservation. The population in 1880 was 650, and the total vote 166.

VILLAGE OF CUSTER

The village of Custer is situated in about the center of the township. It is a station on the Flint and Pere Marquette Railroad and is a thrifty business point. The village was platted in the Fall of 1878 by Charles E. Resseguie, of Ludington, who owned a large tract of land in Eden Township. He erected a store and other buildings, and the same Fall J. L. and C. T. Wicks built a sawmill which is now owned by Mr. Resseguie. In the Spring of 1880, Harlin started a wooden bowl factory and a store, and about the same time a tannery was started. The lumber and manufacturing interests give employment to a large number of men. New buildings are continually being erected, and the village has even appearance of thrifty growth.

SWEETLAND

The village of Sweetland is situated upon the dividing line between Amber and Custer Townships. The village is a station on the Flint and Pere Marquette Railroad, and is also on the line of the state road running north and south. In 1879 James Sweetland built a sawmill at this point, which he operated for ahout a year. In 1880 Messrs. Crowly & Scott bought the mill and built a store, and named the place Sweetland. Other business enterprises followed until quite a village hns been built up. In the Spring of 1882, Charles Blain, of Ludington, and Hiram E. Scott, of Sweetland, platted the village and called it Scottville. There are in the village several stores, a wagon shop, blacksmith shops and a hotel, all of which do a thrifty business.

BIOGRAPHICAL.

Dr. L. T. Southworth was born in Monroe County, N. Y., May 25, 1842. Settled in Clinton County, Mich., in 1856. Enlisted July, l862, in the Fourth Michigan Cavalry; served till the close of the war as lieutenant. Received his classical and medical education at Ann Arbor, graduating in medicine in 1871. The same year he commenced the practice of his profession at Ludington. In 1876, he made Custer, Mason County, his home, still continuing the practice of his profession with other duties. Married December 24, 1864, Mary E. Doak, who was born in Vermont, February, 1845. Two children—Minnie and Maud.

Edwin M. Comstock was born in Washtenaw County, Mich., February 26, 1846. Settled in Custer, Mason Connty, in 1875, and was its first postmaster. He established a grocery business in 1882. Married March 14,1871, Imogene Wattling, who was born in Washtenaw County, October 3, 1861. Two children—Grade F., Goldie A.

Isaac Wood was born in Simcoe County, Ont., July 28, 1840. His occupation for a term of years was railroad bridge builder. Settled in Allegan Comity, Mich., in 1878. and in Section 32, Custer, Mason Comity, in 1876. Married October, 1871, Emma N. Fairbanks, who was born in Allegan County, Mich., in 1858. Four children.