EDEN TOWNSHIP

Mason Co Michigan

At the annual meeting of the board of supervisors, in October, 1874, it was voted to erect a new township, to be culled Eden, from the parts of Riverton and Amber, respectively, embraced in the territory known as Township 17, north of Range 16 west, and Township 18 north of Range 16 west. The first township meeting was held at the schoolhouse known as the “Peter Robinson" schoolhouse, on the first Monday in April, 1875, and William W. Bates, George Hull and Cornelius Hall were appointed inspectors of election.

In the Fall of 1875 a reporter for the Ludington "Appeal" visited this township, and we quote from his description as follows:

At Weldon Creek there are but few buildings as yet, owing to the fact that there is but little land there that parties can buy and secure a title, and those who have such land, from some cause, do not feel disposed to sell off lots. It possesses one of the best water powers in the country, and already they have commenced the erection of a saw and shingle mill upon this stream. There is also a steam sawmill almost completed. Messrs. Gould & Livesly, of Ludington, are proprietors. There is one store doing a fine local trade, owned by Mr. J. J. Gidding. There is also a public house, which is kept in good style, with Mr. and Mrs. Q. A. Boswell as host and hostess. A number of other parties are talking of locating there, and no doubt this new village will have a rapid growth. As soon as good titles can be had of lots upon which to elect buildings.

Preparatory steps are being taken for the opening of a school in this locality the coming Winter.

The settlers thereabouts have commenced in real earnest, and already quite extensive improvements are to be seen upon their homesteads. We find that nearly all homestead entries made in this locality are being located upon, especially upon the north side, of the railroad. In close proximity to this point we find the farms of Messrs. Lampman and Marsh, upon each of which are quite large improvements. They have been about seven years in this vicinity. To the north of them is Mr. Aspinwall, an old up-river resident, who has a very desirable farm. Immediately north of him Mr. Isaac Myers has erected a house and located on a desirable tract of land. W. T. Kimsey has also erected a substantial and roomy house, and has a tract of land, which to our view is second to none in that section. A mile west of him we find our distinguished townsmen, Messrs. Haight, Southworth and Kenfield, all located near each other, with comfortable residences and quite extensive improvements already made. East of them we find the two families of the two Messrs. Drake, who have log houses, and from ten to twelve acres each cleared. A little south is Mr. Ransom, a new settler, but one who is determined to make the forest yield to the blow of the woodman's axe. The settlers throughout this section manifest much enterprise, and are a class of people well calculated to develop and beautify a new country, as public schools, churches and other public enterprises are being talked up almost as soon as settlements are effected.

The west half of the township is well settled and contains good farms; the balance is largely pine. The township is bounded on the north by Custer, on the east by Branch, on the south by Oceana County, and on the west by Riverton.

There are two schoolhouses in the township. The population in 1880 was 580, and the total vote 80. There are four small lakes and numerous streams in the township.

J. W. Griswold is the present supervisor, and S. C. Croff the township clerk. Their postoffice address is Marble.

History of Manistee, Mason and Oceana counties, Michigan 1882