Mason County Michigan
VICTORY TOWNSHIP

In the Fall of 1867 application was made to the board of supervisors for the erection of a new township, to be known by the patriotic name of Victory. The board ordered the erection of a new township, bounded as follows: The territory in Town 10, north of Range 17 west. The first annual meeting was held at the schoolhouse in Bird settlement on the first Monday in April, 1868, and Ambrose P. Coflan, J. M. Sweetland and Austin A. Hadsell were appointed to preside at the meeting, and act as inspectors of election. The application for the erection of the township was signed by Henry Wilkenson, Richard Ravne, J. M. Sweetland, Daniel W. Billings, Martin Harris, M. D. Bumes, S. E. Holcomb, A. M. Fisher, H. Harrington, S. A. Crouch, N. L. Bird, H. Stone, Timothy Knox, M. D. Hadsell, J. B. Hathaway, A. T. Colfax, Richard Coflan and H. R. Brown.

Among the early settlers were also John Blodgett, Elias Parker, Terrence Costello, Jacob Clark, Simon Warner and Frank Horner. The first settlers came in and took up homesteads, which they have labored hard to improve, and at the present time there are a large number of farms under a good state of cultivation.

The soil is mostly clay and productive of good crops of grain, grass and vegetables. There is considerable fruit grown, but not as much as in some other townships. G. H. Blodgett put out the first large orchard in 1870. He has 800 plum trees, which are just beginning to bear.

“Victory Corners,” in the south part of the township, was started in 1866, and was at one time quite a pretentious place. At one time it. even aspired to become the county seat. The first schoolhouse in the township was built at the Comers in 1860. There were a hotel and saloon, wagon and blacksmithshop, a general store, and several dwellings. About 1871 the place began to wane, and when the railroad reached Ludington in 1874, it ceased to be a business point.

There are six good school houses in the township, and the Free Methodists have a class organized, and hold service in the schoolhouse at the Corners.

Within the last three years a Danish settlement has been started, and these settlers are rapidly clearing good farms.

Sugar Grove is four and one-half miles east of the Cornel's, and was formerly known as Clark’s Corners. James Barnes is post- master, and also runs a country store.

Chapel Comers is another place that once had a postoffice, but the office has been discontinued. A chapel was started here about 1874, but it has never been completed. The postoffice was kept by a local preacher, named Chambers.

The population of the township in 1880 was 515, and the total vote 174.

The present supervisor is C. C. Fisher, and the town clerk R.B. Tyler.

Victory is bounded on the north by Grant, on the east by Sherman, on the south by Lincoln and Amber, and on the west by Hamlin.
History of Manistee, Mason and Oceana counties, Michigan 1882