Mecosta County, Michigan
Genealogy and History
VILLAGE OF MECOSTA
The village of Mecosta is but over four years old, and owes its existence and prosperity to the construction of the D., L & N. railroad through this county. The opening up of a rich agricultural and lumbering district, by this road, made a station near the center of the county, where several years previous a large number of hardy tillers of the soil had settled to the south and east, and already had many thousand acres of land well under cultivation, an absolute necessity; for the farmer needed a marker for his grain and produce, as well as a place to purchase supplies, while the lumbermen needed a shipping point and base of supplies in order to carry on the business of manufacturing the sturdy pine (of which there is an immense forest to the north) into lumber, lath and shingles for transportation over the new railroad. Foreseeing this necessity, Weber Bros., of Ionia, who also had a large interest in the pine land at this point, E. B. Moore, of Edmore, and Giles Gilbert, of Stanton, formed themselves into a stock company and platted what has since been known as the village of Mecosta. The plat, which was duly recorded July 17, 1870, contains 120 acres, and is beautifully located on the East Branch of the Little Muskegon, at the junction of the Alma and Clinton State road with the D., L. & N. railroad, 16 miles southeast of Big Rapids and 12 miles northwest of Millbrook, and is about four miles east of the geographical center of the county. The company gave Amos S. Johnson, formerly of Sherman City, full power of attorney, and made him the resident agent for the sale of lots.
At that time nearly the entire plat was heavily timbered although the greater portion of it is now cleared. The first lot was sold to Charles Cummings, of Stanton, shortly after the plat was recorded. The first building was put up by D. O'Brien about the 1st of October, 1879. H. W. Bassingwaite, George Evans and A. S. Johnson put up buildings the same month, and John Van Vleck and son commenced the erection of a steam saw and shingle mill. During the fall and winter of 1879-80, several more building were put up by actual settlers, but not until the first of May, 1880, when trains commenced running regularly over the new road, did the young village experience a healthy growth.
The first store was a general grocery and supply store, kept
on Main street, where is now Parks Brothers' hardware store, by
H. W. Bassingwaite. The post-office was established in December,
1879, and John Van Vleck was appointed Postmaster. His widow is
The first religious society was the Baptist denomination, organized by John Van Vleck, and held its meetings in the log school-house. In the fall of 1880, the Methodists sent a minister by the name of Hoag, who remained about one year, also preaching in the log school-house. Rev. J. Berry at present holds services in the town hall, but the society is preparing to erect a church on the west side of the river, at a cost of $2,500.
The first and only bank is the private bank of Gilbert and
The following are the first village officers of Mecosta,
elected April 2, 1883:
The business interests of the village are represented by the following firms:
Beard, Henry, wagon shop
Among the professional men are C. B. Patterson and J. H.
Waller, physicians, and N. W. Bush, lawyer.
source: Portrait and Biographical album, Mecosta County, Mich. ... Chicago, Chapman Brothers 1883
All data on this website is © Copyright by Genealogy Trails with full rights reserved for original submitters.