Mecosta County MI

COLFAX TOWNSHIP

This is township 15 north, range 9 west, Congressional survey, and is bounded on the north by Grant Township, on the east Martiny Township, on the south by Austin Township, and on the west by Big Rapids Township. The township is drained principally by Ryan Creek, which flows west through the northern part of the Township. There are several good-sized lakes and a number of smaller ponds in Colfax. The largest is Clear Lake, on section 21. In the northwest corner are Long Pond and Town Line Lake. On the northern boundary is Pickerel Lake; and in the northeastern part of the township are Colby Lake, Cook Lake, Mud Lake and Twin Lakes. In the southwestern part of the township is the Grand Rapids & Indiana railroad, which crosses section 31. On this road is Byers’ station and post- office. The Detroit, Lansing & Northern railroad runs through sections 18, 17, 16, 15, 14 and 13. In section 13 the Chippewa branch connects with the main line, and at this junction is the new village of Rodney, which has good prospects for future growth.

The township of Colfax was organized in 1869, and its first Supervisor was Sidney L. Rood. The first white settler was Lloyd W. Simonds, who located on section 19, in 1860. The first death was that of Helen A. Rood. The first couple married were Noble D. Rood and Martha A. Edwards. The ceremony was performed June 30, 1869, by Lloyd W. Simonds, Justice of the Peace. The first frame building was a barn erected by L. W. Simonds in 1868. The first mill was a portable steam saw-mill, put up by Henry Escott, in 1860. The first school- house was a frame building erected on section 31, in 1870.

The population of Colfax Township in 1870 was only 146. In 1874 it had increased to 263; and the census of 1880 showed a further increase to 669. It had 2,001 acres of improved land in 1881. The present equalized valuation of the real and personal property of the township is $264,842. Its total vote in November, 1882, was 94.