Mecosta County Michigan
Fork Township is situated in the northeast corner of Mecosta County,and is Congressional township 16 north, range 7 west; and
is bounded on the north by Osceola County, on
the cast by Isabella County, on the south by Sheridan Township, and on the west
by Martiny Township. It is watered by Chippewa River, the North and South Branches of the
same, Rat-Tail Creek and Chippewa Creek. The
last two are tributaries of the North Branch, which
they join in about the center of the township. These
streams, especially the South Branch, are the outlets
of a score or more of lakes, of which but three or
four are in Fork Township. The others are mostly
in Chippewa and Martiny Townships. Fork has no
railroad, no village, and but one post-office,—Fork.
The territory above described was organized into
a township in October, 1867, and William Creevey
was elected the first Supervisor. The first white
settler was Marvin A. Rogers, w ho located on section
28, in the winter of 1865-6. Among the other early
settlers, who came between 1866 and 1868, were
John H. Gibbs, Charles Rogers, Chauncey Rogers, Charlie Powers, Almond Mott, Leonard Chroshaw, Walter Kendall, Philip Chroshaw, William Brown, J. H. Groom, Oliver Bark and Leland
Roe. The first white child born was Gazelle
Murphy, daughter of James and Josephine Murphy,
Aug. 21, 1866. The first death was that of John
Nicholson, in the fall of 1869. The first marriage
was that of Marvin A. Rogers and Alice Ford, in the
fall of 1867, solemnized by Elder Z. W. Shepherd.
The first frame building in the township was erected
by L. W. Roe, in the fall of 1870. The first school house was a log building put up on section 25, in the
summer of 1870; and the first school was taught by
Mrs. Cynthia L. Brown, during the same summer.
The first store was opened by Lewis E. Wolcott, in
1875. The first and only post-office, Fork, was established in the spring of 1860.
In 1870, the population of Fork Township was
163; in 1880, this had more than doubled, being
343. In 1878, Fork had 1,670 acres of improved
land. In 1881, under a different rule of assessment,
it had 1,219. Its equalized valuation in 1868 was
$64,096; and its present valuation is $122,705. The
total vote in November, 1882, was 43.
Portrait Biographical Mecosta MI 1883