Cedar River, MI

Menominee County

Cedar River is the oldest settlement on the Bay shore, and has been mentioned as having had the pioneer saw-mill of the real lumbering era, and the history of that mill has already been traced to the firm of S. Crawford & Sons, who now own and operate it. Its cut in 1910 was sixteen million feet of lumber, principally hemlock, tamarack and white pine, but with some white cedar, basswood, elm, ash, maple, birch and spruce. The cut of shingles during the same year was fourteen million, and of hemlock and fine lath five and one-fourth million, and the gross value of the cut about $235,000, besides a large amount of bark, poles, posts, ties and pulp wood. The mill has a daily capacity of 100,000 feet of lumber, 150,000 shingles, and 50,000 lath in ten hours. The company has an up-to-date logging outfit including traction road engine and cars with steam louder, etc. This Company also owns and operates a large general store and is practically the owner of the village. There is a good hostelry called the American Hotel, and one general store belonging to Jacob Rosenberg, while tin* government maintains a light-house station at this point.
(A history of the northern peninsula of Michigan and its people;. by Alvah Litterfield Sawyer 1854-1925)



Cedar River, MI (A Load of Supplies) (1910)



Cedar River, MI (J. W. Wells State Park) (1940s) - Contributed by Paul Petosky




Cedar River, MI (1911) - Contributed by Paul Petosky




Cedar River, MI (1910s) - Contributed by Paul Petosky




Cedar River, MI (1910s) - Contributed by Paul Petosky