A History of the Upper Peninsula of Michigan
By George Newman Fuller (1873-1957) PG 100

Menominee, the county seat, has a population of about 10,000 persons and has long held a leading place among the lumber cities of the Upper Peninsula. The J. W. Wells Lumber company is one of the leading establishments of its kind in this section of the peninsula and is the successor of the Girard company. The Menominee River Sugar company, organized in 1902, erected a million dollar factory in 1903 and began operations. For the first few years of its existence, it was hampered by the slowness of the farmers in growing Sugar beets, but as the advantages of such agricultural employment was demonstrated to them, the business has grown to be one of the largest and most important industrial enterprises of the city. With an annual production amounting to nearly $20,000,000 pounds of sugar, the company brings to the farmers of the county nearly half a million dollars. The canning business has grown to large proportions, the annual production of canneries in this vicinity amounting to 3,500,000 cans of vegetables, 2,500.000 cans of preserves, and 100 carloads of pickles. The Lloyd Manufacturing company, making children's carriages and furniture, is an unusual yet highly successful undertaking that brings the name of Menominee before the entire country. The Menominee Stained Glass company presents still another phase of the industrial life of the community, for it specializes in the making of cathedral glass, mirrors, and stained window and plate glass. A steam pump and engine works, box factories, a chemical plant, saw mill machinery plant, hardwood flooring factory, packing plant, and electric supply plant increase the list of diversified industries that make for the stability and commercial prestige of the city.

Menominee was incorporated as a city in 1883, at which time it was divided into five wards and Samuel M. Stephenson was elected the first mayor. It owns its own water system, has an electric street railway, and every sanitary precaution to safeguard the health of the community.

Stephenson was incorporated as a village in 1898. It is located twenty-two miles north of Menominee and has a bank and a weekly newspaper. It is the largest community in the county outside of Menominee and is the focal point of a rich agricultural community.

Daggett, also in Stephenson township, is one of the important villages of the county. It has a bank and good village schools. Cedar River is the oldest settlement on the Bay Shore; Ingalls and Wallace are located north of Menominee on the Chicago & Northwestern railroad, the former having been settled in the early Fifties; Nadeau is on the same railroad thirty-six miles north of Menominee; and Powers is at the junction point of the main line of the Chicago & Northwestern and the Menominee Range branch.