to
Midland County Michigan
Genealogy and History
CITIES, TOWNS, VILLAGES


TOWN OF SANFORD


Sanford, MI Post Office (1950's) - Contributed by Paul Petosky

 

Jerome Township contains the village of Sanford, situated in the eastern part of the township, on the Tittabawassee River, and at a place where this stream is crossed by the Flint & Pere Marquette Railroad, thus giving to this town the advantages of both river and railroad traffic. Communication is kept up between this point and the village of Edenville several miles north by means of the stage, which carries all mail both to the latter place and Wright's post-office. Sanford was platted in the summer of 1870, by Charles S. Sanford. Wells, Stone & Co. erected the first store in the village; Geo. Higgins was the first blacksmith; the first physician was A. E. Rockwell; the first sermon was preached by Rev. Cogsall of the Methodist denomination, in the school-house. Jacob Seguin opened the first hotel, and Charles S. Sanford built one soon afterward, which was destroyed by fire May 15, 1884. The Flint & Pere Marquette Railroad was completed as far as Sanford in the spring of 1871. The first postmaster was Phineas Hamilton.

This village has about 100 inhabitants, and is a convenient trading point for lumbermen and agriculturists in that vicinity.

 

 

 

 




All data on this website is © Copyright by Genealogy Trails with full rights reserved for original submitters