The Tillabawassee River flows into Jerome from Edenville Township on the north. The stream takes a southerly and then easterly course, and leaves this township at the point where the line separates Lincoln from Homer. The Salt River rises in Isabella County, flows east and enters Jerome near the northeastern corner of the township, whence it takes a southeasterly direction and empties into the Tittabawassee.
The productions of Jerome are lumber, grain, vegetables and game, such as bear and deer, the former valuable for its flesh, which is used as food, and for its skin, of which robes are made; also, bear oil in large quantities are obtained from this animal. From the deer, venison is procured, and the hides are used for making gloves, moccasins, etc.
Jerome contains the village of Sanford, situated in the eastern part of the township, on the Tittabawassee River, and at a place where this stream is crossed by the Flint & Pere Marquette Railroad, thus giving to this town the advantages of both river and railroad traffic. Communication is kept up between this point and the village of Edenville several miles north by means of the stage, which carries all mail both to the latter place and Wright's post-office. Sanford was platted in the summer of 1870, by Charles S. Sanford. Wells, Stone & Co. erected the first store in the village; Geo. Higgins was the first blacksmith; the first physician was A. E. Rockwell; the first sermon was preached by Rev. Cogsall, of the Methodist denomination, in the school-house. Jacob Seguin opened the first hotel, and Charles S. Sanford built one soon afterward, which was destroyed by fire May 15, 1884. The Flint & Pere Marquette Railroad was completed as far as Sanford in the spring of 1871. The first postmaster was Phineas Hamilton.
This village was about 100 inhabitants, and is a convenient trading point for 1umbermen and agriculturists in that vicinity.
A salt well was sunk on section 24, in 1841, under the supervision of Prof. Douglass Houghton, the State Geologist. This was the first salt well dug in the State.
Geo. Butts was the first settler in the township, and located on section 75; Charles S. Sanford came next, locating on section 24, where the village named in his honor now stands. The Board of Supervisors erected the township of Jerome in the year 1836. In 1862, a resolution was passed by that body by which townships 15, 16 and 17 north, of range 1 west, and township 16 north, of range 2 west, were added to Jerome. These tracts were afterward organized into separate townships.
Jerome has been successful in electing men of good judgment and ability to represent her in the county Board of Supervisors. Their names are:
Portrait and biographical album of Midland County, Mich: containing - By Chapman Brothers 1884