VILLAGE OF LAKE CITY
Lake City, Mich. (Main Street - 1950's) Contributed by Paul Petosky
The settlement formerly known as
Reeder is incorporated as a village, under the name of Lake
City, in 1887. It is now a pretty place of nearly eight
hundred people. Lake City is a leading receiving and
shipping station on the Grand Rapids & Indiana line, the
productions of the surrounding country being largely
confined to potatoes and fruit. Its industries are a glove
factory, and four and saw mills.
Lake City State Bank is capitalized at $20,000. while the Missaukee County Bank (not incorporated) has a capital of $10,000. As the county seat and a place which enjoys an especially healthful location. Lake City has long added to its other attractions and advantages. It is lighted by electricity and has also a good system of waterworks. Its churches include Catholic, Free Methodist, Methodist, Presbyterian and United Brethren, and its Union school is well deserving of the hearty support it receives. Of the higher departments of the village system of public education the high school has an enrollment of eighty-two pupils and the County Normal of twenty. Grammar, intermediate and primary grades embrace the remainder of the village pupils, whose total enrollment is two hundred and eighty-two.
Lake City, MI (Lake City Hotel - 1940's) Contributed by Paul Petosky