Monroe County was one of the five townships reorganized in 1827. The boundaries were not changed, and included to much of the city of Monroe as lies south of the River Raisin till 1848, when the city was set off by itself. The first election in 1827 was held at the
court house in the village of Monroe. On the 28th day of May, 1827, Samuel Choate was elected supervisor; Edward D. Ellis, clerk; Jeremiah Lawrence, Joseph G. Navarre and Samuel Stone, sr., were elected assessors; Hiram Brown,
Dan. Mulhollen and Samuel H. Gale, commissioners; George Alford and William P. Gale, overseers of the poor. Of the
votes cast in 1827 whose names are on the poll list, none are now living. Samuel Choate was re-elected supervisor in 1828; Walter Colton in 1829 and 1880; Daniel S. Bacon in 1831; Luther Harvey in 1832 and 1833; Edward D. Ellis in 1834; Peter P. Ferry in 1836; Nathan Hubble in 1842. For supervisors from 1842- 1872, reference is made to page 267, and for township officers from 1872 to 1888 inclusive, reference is made to page 275. The early settlement of this town is largely identified with
tho early settlement heretofore detailed with that of the city of Monroe.
Talcott E. Wing's History of Monroe County, Michigan (New York: Munsell and Company, 1890).
When the first five townships in tho county were organized under the legislative art of 1827 the boundaries of Monroe township were not changed, except that in the reorganization they included all that portion of the present city of Monroe, lying south of the River Raisin, and so continued until 1848. in which year the city was set off by itself, its south bouudary line being at Ninth street, or what would be Ninth street if such street was opened.
Its first settlers were, of course, mainly French, and their "abitatuois" the same class of log houses that were built at that time, although some of them were clapboarded and kept neatly whitewashed. There are not now more than one or two in existence. The La Plaisance Hay settlement contained a larger number of these primitive dwellings than any other neighborhood collection, and presented a picturesque grouping of the early homes.
The first election was held at the old court house in the village of
Monroe on May 28, 1827, when there were east for township officers
fifty-two votes. Samuel Choate receiving forty-nine for supervisor, Edward D. Ellis
fifty for clerk, and forty-eight each for Jeremiah Lawrence,
Joseph G. Navarre and Samuel Stone for assessors; Hiram Brown,
Daniel Mulholden and Samuel H. Gale, commissioners; George Alford
and Wm. P. Gale, overseers of the poor; Ethel Burch and James McMannus, constables, and James McMannus, collector.
Samuel Ornate was re-elected supervisor in 1828; Walter Colton in
1829 and 1830; Daniel S. Bacon in 1831; Luther Harvev in 1832 and
1833; Edward D. Ellis in 1834; Peter P. Ferrv in 1836; Nathan Hubble
in 1842; Gershon T. Bulkley in 1843 and 1844; Norman D. Curtis, in
1845. Gershom T. Bulkley in 1846; N. D. Curtis in 1847; Emerson
Choate in 1848 and 1849, and Joseph G. Navarre in 1850.