Edmore is situated principally upon the south half of the southwest quarter of section 21, and the north half of the northwest quarter of section 28. The original plat, however, contained but one hundred and twenty acres, several additions having been made from time to time. The name is derived from Edwin B. Moore—the name of its founder—who platted it. and on the 28th of April, 1878, caused the survey to be made. The first lot was sold to William Cronkite who at once erected a small building and opened a shoe shop, for although few improvements had been made in this vicinity, the completion of the railroads the fail previous, forming a junction at this place, had marked it as an important business center for the future. There were also several families, who bail settled here a number of years before, and who had made some slight improvements in agriculture. One of these, that of James Gillsoti settled here in 1865. He was a native of Scotland, whence he came to America in 1828. He served in the Union army in the Civil War. and for disabilities received was awarded a pension. He built the first hotel in the village of Kdmore. soon after the village was platted. On May 28, 1878. E. W. Kitchen purchased a lot, built a house, and opened a general stock of dry goods, boots, shoes, groceries, etc. These were the first business places in the village.
About this time a portable saw-mill was secured, and the lumber for building purposes, which heretofore had been brought from a distance, was now manufactured from the timber taken from the site of the village. After the manufacture of lumber began in Edmore its growth was exceedingly rapid. Few villages in central Michigan will compare with it in this respect. In the winter of 1878-79 the village, having a sufficient population, was incorporated, and the lirst election under the charter was held on March 8, 1879, at which time the following persons were elected to the several village offices: President, E. B. Moore; trustees, R. S. Robson, H. G. Johnson. C. S. Knight. C. W. Stafford, E. S. Wagar. H. Austin; clerk, F. M. Burbank, treasurer, O. S. Tower; street commissioner, H. J. Chainey; assessor, A. M. Wolaver. The following is a list of officers for 1880; President, E. B. Moore; trustees, H. G. Johnson. C. W. Stafford, A. V. Rowlison; clerk. F. W. Harrison; treasurer, H. C. Umbenhaur; street commissioner. J. K. Train; assessor. A. M. Wolaver.
Edmore, MI (Greetings from...) (1909)- Contributed by Paul Petosky
During the month of September, 1880, the Chicago, Saginaw & Canada railroad shipped 225.491 pounds of freight, the freightage upon which was $173.19. The number of pounds received aggregated 5,207.544 and the charges collected were $1,642. The receipts for the telegraph department were $55.04.
The report of the Detroit, Lansing & Northern railroad for the same month is as follows: Total freight shipped from this station. 8.506.597 pounds; charges, $5,804.14. Freight received. 1,098,928 pounds, upon which -charges were collected to the amount of $2,190.95. The tickets sold over this route amounted to $1,036.
Edmore came out of that period which followed the exhaustion of the pine timber in the county better, or rather as good, as any other town in the county. This was due partly to the fact of its location. It is truly located in one of the rich farming communities of the county. The scope of territory and rich resources which it draws from gives it the life which it has at present. Edmore and the people can truly be proud of such a busy, hustling village. Although other towns in the county may present larger buildings and longer business blocks, but few can surpass it in the amount of produce received and shipped during a year. It is the trading center for the north and eastern part of the county and the shipping point of the entire community.
Edmore, MI (Main Street) (1910) (Postcard from Paul Petosky)
Edmore has suffered two fires, which, if it were possible to wipe out. would leave it with business blocks doing credit to the volume of business done in the town. In the year 1901 one entire block on the smith side of Main street was destroyed by fire. The loss was placed at $25,000, but it carried with it another pang, for one life was claimed by the flames. This was a small girl who, being trapped, was unable to receive assistance and perished. In this fire the town hall, bank building, and several other business houses were entirely consumed.
The second fire was just beside the first, on the north side of Main street. This disastrous fire wiped out almost the entire block. Three stores and two smaller buildings were destroyed before the flames could be checked, entailing a loss of $20,000 The Moorehcad block was created in 1885 and it is one of the largest business blocks of Edmorc. At present Edniore has a population of eight hundred.
Edmore, MI Post Office & Town Hall (1910) - Contributed by Paul Petosky
A township and village hall was erected in 1902, at a cost of $6,000. In this town hall the council rooms, jail and postoffice are located; also the fire department, which is a volunteer company of chief and six men and hook and ladder and hose-carl equipment. The water-works is a municipal plant, which was installed in the year 1880. and is fully equipped in every respect. The electric light plant is a private business, owned by J. H. Gibbs & Company. The business interests of the town consist of the J.H. Barber Creamery Company. This creamery is second in capacity in the county. The volume of business of this creamery amounts to approximately one-half million dollars per year. The W. K. Roach Canning Company is also one of the important industries of the town. Approximately $85,000 was paid out by this company to the help and to farmers during the year.
Edmore has a potato and stock market. It has no equal in the county, and greater tonnage of business is shipped from Edmore than any other town with the exception probably of Greenville, which ranks ahead of Edmore in the potato market alone. The merchants and business men of Edmore receive their patronage from the entire northeast and south of the county. There are two elevators in Edmore, owned by J. H. Gibbson & Son and J. I.. Thomas. E. E. Curtis is one of the largest Ivan and potato buyers in this county. Everybody and everything in this village is a live wire of the town. It is growing faster than any other in Montcalm county, and will only be a matter of a short lime until it ranks among the first in every respect. The present officials are: Harry E. Wagner, president; Fred E. Curtis, clerk: James W. Swift, treasurer; Hugh McKay, assessor. There are two hamlets in Home township which deserve mention. The first of these is Wyman. which is a little station on the Pere Marquette railroad. This hamlet has had a precarious existence and has failed to reach much size. There is one store at present and a little cluster of houses. Wyman, although so small, has assessed two names in its life: it formerly was known as Averyville. The other hamlet of this township is known as Cedar Lake, from the body of water of that name. Cedar Lake is a small resort and could hardly he classed as a village. It is the location of the Advent College. There are at present some dozen houses.
History of Montcalm County, Michigan: Historical By John W. Dasef 1916