Cedar Creek Township
This town contains thirty-six square miles, and lies between
Holton, Dalton and Egelston, with Newaygo County on the eastern
boundary. It contains a number of lakes, of which the largest is
Duck Lake, on Section 11, which is three-fourths of a mile long and
half a mile wide. Mud Lake and Clear Lake he to the west of
Duck Lake. The Muskegon River crosses the southeast, and Cedar
Creek drains the whole town.
This town was originally a part of White River, and then of
Dalton, and was set apart with Holton attached in 1861, which
union lasted for ten years, Holton going by itself in 1871. The Supervisors of Cedar Creek have been Norman Cunningham, in 1861-
2-8-4-5-6; Paid G. Shippey, in 1867-8-0; E. Dalton, in 1870. In
1871 Paul G. Shippey appears again on tho board of Supervisors,
and is reelected in 1872-8, then Seth Evans comes in 1874-5-6-7-
8; M. Thompson, in 1879-80; and Seth Evans has been Supervisor
ever since, having just been elected for the fourth time. The Justices of the Peace are Seth Evans, Bice Jones and Aaron E. Sevrey.
The present Supervisor is Seth Evans, Treasurer, Anton Schmidt;
Clerk, Warren F. Odion, who is serving his third term, and came to
the town in 1866.
The population of Cedar Creek was 166 in 1861, 660 in 1870,
201 in 1874, and 482 in 1880. The fall in population in 1871 may
be accounted for in that Holton was not included. The town of
late years is improving agriculturally.
Joseph Martin claims to have been the first settler iu Cedar
Creek on Section 1, in 1856, at which time there was but one man
named Sheppard near, who was logging but hot a permanent, settler. A lumberman, J. Thompson, now deceased, was up the river,
and was on the river two or three years before Martin. Charles
Odell, now of Holland, came in about 1850 and lived next to Martin. Then came Hendrickson, Richard Everson (brother of Martin,)
John Schmidt and Anton Schmidt.
Almira, daughter of Jos. Martin, born in 1857, was the first
white child born in the town.
The first teacher was Elizabeth, daughter of Richard Everson,
who taught in her own house before a school house was built.
The first school house was on Section 12, on Hendrickson's
land. Miss Adelia Wilson (now Mrs. Martin Everson, her husband
being the son of Richard) was the first teacher there.
The first missionary to preach was the Rev. Mr, Irvine, a Baptist from Twin Lake.
The Norwegian Lutherans have a church edifice on Section 25,
where there is quite a large settlement.
The first saw null was that of Mr. Jones, on Section 85, now
gone to decay.
The Shippey mill in 1867 was the next-, and A. T. Lindermanâ€™s in the northeast corner of the town was the last.
In 1860 Mr. Ruprecht built a small mill at Duck Lake, and sold
it to Blodgett & Byrne, who moved it to Holton in 1871, and after
one year built larger. There are no other saw mills except S. P.
Hartshorn's small mill on the Little Cedar.
The soil of the town is not very inviting, being chiefly clay and
sand, Sections 1, 12 and 3 being among the best. There is not
much pine left, much of it being taken off bv Otto Rverson and
Peter Johnson, both now deceased.
The first marriage was by John Hendrickson to a Miss Syphers;
that of Martin Ryerson and Adelia Wilson, being also among the earliest.
Taxes are light, and the town is m no debt. Fires have done
but little damage. The crops have generally been fair, except in
1881, but there are but few farmers as yet in the township.
The Muskegon road is the chief route of travel, it being less
than fourteen miles from the center of tho town to Muskegon; but
since 1872, when the railroad came in, Holton has had considerable of the farmersâ€™ trading.
In Cedar Creek, about two miles from Twin Lake, is Lindermanâ€™s Siding,
where is A. T. Linderman's shingle mill, built in 1879 by C. W.
Dunning & Co., and purchased by Linderman in 1880, capacity
50,000 per day. Mr. Lindennan, who is a prominent merchant of
Whitehall, has also a model farm where he raises on sand, clover
knee deep. This farm is 640 acres on sections 4, 5 and 6, his mill
is on section 5.
Joseph Martin, farmer on sections 1 and 12, on 200 acres,
came among the very first settlers in 1856, was born in Lower Canada in 1825, and brought up in his native place. At 24 years of
age he went west, and after various wanderings he settled in Cedar
Creek. He married Almira Piche, in 1855, and has had eight children, of whom six survive.
John Schmitt was born in Germany in 1823, and emigrated to
America in 1852. After working in Muskegon County and Illinois,
in 1863, the land in Cedar Creek Township was opened for settlement, when he took up a homestead in*section 24. There were no
roads and but few neighbors, but he worked bravely on until now
he owns a fine farm of 240 acres. In 1868 he married Miss Anna
Mary Glessner, of Prussia, by whom he has six children.
Talliff Hendrickson was born in Norway in 1811, and emigrated to Washington Co., Wis., in 1849. After working a rented farm
three years, he went on the old vessel Henry Cloy to Muskegon
Lake, settling in Fruitland, where for eight years he was engaged in
lumbering. He next moved to Cedar Creek Township, settling on
sections 1 and 12, where he made for himself a comfortable home.
His son, John P. Hendrickson, was born in Norway in 1842, and
Henry Hendrickson in 1841. They came with their father to Michigan, and on his death John got the part of the farm in section 1,
and Henry that in section 12. John married Miss Millie Ann Syphers, of Ohio, in 1863, by whom he has five children. Henry married Miss Augusta M. Hynald, of Rochester, N. Y. The family
suffered many privations after settling in Michigan, but they persevered and finally overcame all difficulties. Mr. Talliff Hendrickson
was one of the first to assist in organizing a Lutheran Church,
and the place of worship is now centrally located in Holton. There
is also a fine cemetery in which the Hendrickson family purpose
erecting a fine family monument.
John Johnson was born in Sweden in 1831, and emigrated
to America in 1803. After living in Chicago and Muskegon, he
bought a farm in section 13 of Cedar Creek, which he still owns. In
1878 he married Miss Augusta Louisa Swansea, of Sweden, by
whom he has had six children, one of whom died in 1877.
Chauncey Hovey, farmer, was born in Macomb Co., Mich., Nov.
4, 1827, where he resided until 1867, when he moved to Cedar Creek,
and has been honored with a town office ever since its organization.
He was married in 1858, to Jane DeWitt, and has had eight children, four still surviving.
John Jacobson, farmer, was born in Sweden in 1836, and came
to Muskegon in 1865, Whitehall in 1871, working in the saw mills.
In 1873 he moved on his present farm in Cedar Creek.
S. P. Hartshorn, saw miller, was born in New Hampshire in
1845, enlisted as musician in Co. E 6th N. H. Vol., in 1863, serving till close of war. In 1860 came to Whitehall, where he was in
business six years. In 1872 he built and still runs a saw mill
on section 14, on the head waters of the Little Cedar, called Duck
Lake mills. He was married Aug. 19, 1867 to Z. D. Hendrickson,
of Wisconsin, and has four sons and two daughters.
Anton Sweeter, farmer in section 27, Prussian, born in 1824,
came to Racine, Wis., in 1854, and next year came to Muskegon,
working on the river seven years and then came to Cedar Creek.
Seth Evans, of section 28, born in Riverton, R. I., in 1824,
next year went to Massachusetts, and followed the sea until he came
to Cedar Creek in 1866. He is the present Supervisor.
Rice Jones, section 24, was born in Monmouthshire, England,
in 1829, came to Utica, N. Y., in 1833, next year moved to Syracuse, N. Y., and two years after to Wisconsin, thence to Muskegon
in 1851. He was married in March, 1854, to Mary E. Evans, and
moved to LaCrosse, Wis., in 1857, back to Muskegon in 1860, to
Cedar Creek in 1874.
History of Muskegon Co with Illustrations & biographies H.R. Page 1882
© Genealogy Trails