George Arms is one of the "old settlers" of Muskegon, having
come here from New York in February, 1856. He has seen Muskegon grow up from the sands to a thriving, prosperous city. Mr.
Arms, on his arrival in the then hamlet of Muskegon, engaged in
the lumber business, and was one of the old Newaygo Company.
He has resided here ever since 1856, except for a short time when
in Chicago. He has been always identified with Muskegon's great
industry, "lumber." In 1860, or thereabouts, Mr. Arms and the
late "Squire" Furman, than whom Muskegon has never had a
stronger, brighter, honester man, purchased from the Muskegon
Booming Company all its rights, franchises, and property, and engaged in the business of rafting, towing and sorting the logs for the
mills. The war came on, and labor and the prices of everything
advanced, and they were compelled to abandon the undertaking.
While in this business Mr. Arms conceived the idea of using "pens"
for the purpose of sorting the logs, which process is still in use, no
person over having been able to improve upon it. To such pioneers
as Mr. Arms and "Squire" Furman Muskegon River owes its development and the laying the foundations of its present capacity for
delivering saw-logs. He has always been energetic, wide awake,
and pushing; has never, in the darkest days in the infancy of the
now great industry of Muskegon, lost faith In its ultimate success
and the future of the western town of his choice, and today Mr.
Arms can look hack upon years of hard, patient toil and feel the
complacency of the man who can say, "I told you so."
C. Beaudry, of the firm of C. Beaudry & Co., proprietors of
the French mill at North Muskegon, is a native of Montreal, Canada,
and came to Muskegon in 1854. For several years after coming
here Mr. Beaudry worked as foreman and engineer in saw mills.
In 1872 Mr. B., in company with Messrs. Vallicott and Coe, built a
saw mill upon the bite where the French mill now stands. In the
winter of 1880-81 the old mill was torn down and a new one built.
Several changes have occurred in the membership of the firm, hut
Mr. Beaudry has remained at its head from the first.
Charles E. Bemis, saw filer at Torrent & Brown's shingle and
lumber mill, North Muskegon, has been filing six years, and in his
present place since the Spring of 1880. Mr. Bemis enlisted in the
service at La Porte, Ind., in 1861. He first enlisted for three
months, and at the expiration of that time re-enlisted for three
years or during the war. He received his discharge in 1865.
William H. Brown, one of the active members of the extensive
lumber firm of Torrent, Brown & Co., is a native of Scotland and
came to this country in 1854. In the Spring of 1881 he came to
Muskegon from Grand Haven, and the firm of Torrent, Brown &
Co. was organized. The company are extensive manufacturers of
lumber and shingles. Their mills and office are at North Muskegon.
Mr. Brown gives the operating of the nulls his personal attention,
and the great success of their business is largely due to his energy
Aleck Buckaney, saw filer in charge of the gang saws at the
French mill, North Muskegon, is a native of Canada, and came to
the States in 1869. He has been filing on the lake for twelve
years, and in his present place since May, 1881.
Joseph B. Champagne, of the lumber firm of C. Beaudry & Co.,
at North Muskegon, is a native of Canada, and came to Muskegon
from Montreal in 1869. He first began in the employ of others,
and in 1878 bought the interest of Mr. Vallicott in the firm of C.
Beaudry & Co., and remained a member of the firm until the close
of 1881. Mr. Champagne is a practical mill man, and gives his
personal attention to the manufacturing department of the business.
Neil L. Downs, Superintendent of Schools at North Muskegon,
was born in Canada, Oct. 15, 1888. Early in life his tastes led him
to select teaching as a profession. In 1858 he came to the United
States and obtained a situation as teacher at Fairfield, Michigan.
After remaining there two years he taught for two years near Grand
Rapids, and subsequently in Newaygo and Ottawa Counties. From
Holland, Ottawa County, he came to North Muskegon in 1878, and
since June, 1881, has been in charge of the schools. He is also a
member of the County Board of Examiners. Mr. Downie is a good
instructor and an enterprising citizen.
P. A. Ducey, one of the most extensive mill owners at Muskegon, is a native of Ireland and came to this country in 1850. After
spending four years in New York he came to Michigan, and was
two years at Grand Rapids. At the breaking out of the war he
was in Colorado and enlisted in the Second Infantry. He was in
the service four years, and was promoted to Colonel previous to his
discharge ,which he received in 1865. After leaving the Army he
came to Muskegon, and for five years was in the planing mill business. In 1870 he engaged in the lumber business
with John Torrent, the firm being Torrent & Ducey. In 1878 the Torrent &
Arms Lumber Company was organized, of which Mr. Ducey is
treasurer. In the spring of 1881 the Ducey Lumber Company was
organized, of which Mr. Ducey is president. Mr. Ducey is a man
of great industry and has worked his way along until he has become
one of the most extensive lumbermen on the lake.
Francis A. Fish, engineer at the mill of the North Muskegon
Lumber Company, came here from Montague in the spring of 1881
to hike his present position. He has been employed in lumber
mills for twenty-three years, twelve of which he was at Montague.
Mr. Fish served in the war as a member of the 15th Illinois Regiment from 1861 to 1862.
John Garvey, Jr., was born in Kenosha, Wis., and has been a
resident of Muskegon for thirty years. In June, 1881, Torrent &
Arms opened a new store at North Muskegon and Mr. Garvey has
been in charge from that time.
James Hawkins, village Marshal of North Muskegon, is a native of Canada. In 1874 he came to Muskegon from Detroit, and
from that time until elected Marshal in the spring of 1881, he was
engaged at mill work. He was the first Marshal elected under the
William J. Hawkins, foreman at Farr's mill, North Muskegon,
has been a resident of North Muskegon nine years. Prior to coining here he was engaged at steam boating for several years. He has
worked in Farr's mill since 1875, and foreman since 1878.
John Hoy is in charge of F. S. Farr's store at North Muskegon. Came to Muskegon from Saugatuck, Mich., in 1874, and has
been in his present position since 1879.
W. T. Hoy, M. D., in charge of the drug store of Farr & Co.,
North Muskegon, is a native of Spain and came to this country in
1825. He was engaged in the practice of medicine for several years
at Sangatuck, Mich., and in 1873 came to Muskegon and continued
in practice until the bummer of 1881 he took his present position.
Dr. Hoy was in the army as surgeon of the 8th Mich. Cavalry from
1863 to 1865.
Robert Hoy, foreman of the Storr's mill, came to Muskegon
seven years ago and has been engaged at mill work. He has been
in the Storr's mill four years and has been foreman since Sept.
Robert McLean, saw filer, in charge of the circular saws at
Torrent A Arms' mill. North Muskegon, has been filing for seventeen years, and in his present place since the spring of 1881.
John Mercier, saw filer at Storr's mill, North Muskegon, came
to Muskegon from New York State and has been tiling twelve years.
He begun in his present place in the spring of 1881.
D. A. Miner, saw filer, in charge of the gang saws at the mill
of the North Muskegon Lumber Company, has been in his present
position since the mill was started in the spring of 1881. He has
been engaged at mill work since 1862, and has been filing in mills
on the lake since 1870.
E. C. Misner belongs to the rank of enterprising young lumbermen of Muskegon. He is a native of Grand Haven and came to
Muskegon from Casnovia in 1870. He at once engaged in inspecting and shipping lumber, and continued at that business until the
organization of the Ducey Lumber Company in the spring of 1881,
when he became connected with the company and elected its Secretary and Treasurer. The company's office is at North Muskegon,
and Mr. Misner devotes his time and energies to the duties of his
Dr. Zerah Mizner, practising physician and druggist of North
Muskegon, was born in Tompkins County, N. Y., in 1829, came
to this State in the Fail of 1830, first to Lenawee County, and the
following spring to Grand Rapids, where after a stay of six months
he moved on to a farm in Plainfield, but after a time returned to
the Rapids. In 1848 he first set foot in this county at White Lake
and also at Duck Lake, working for Charles Mears in the lumber
woods. In 1858 he returned to Plainfield, but in four years returned to White Lake for three years and went back to Kent County. From Sept 8, 1865 to the fall of 1861 he was a resident of
Whitehall, when he removed to North Muskegon, where he does a
large business in preparing proprietory medicines as well as with
his drug store and profession. He is highly respected by all who
Samuel Poland, saw filer, in charge of the circular saws at
Farr's mill, North Muskegon, came to Muskegon from California,
and has been filing since 1860. He has been in his present place
Charles Smith, engineer at Torrent & Brown's shingle mill,
North Muskegon, is a native of Sweden and came to this country in
1879. Before coming to this country he was engineer on a steamboat He has been at his present place since the mill was started,
George Tarrand, of North Muskegon is a native of Canada.
In 1867 he came to Muskegon from Wisconsin and engaged in lumbering, which he has continued. Ho was a member of the lumber
firm of Torrent, Brown & Co., which was formed in the spring of
1881. In the August following ho sold his interest and retired from
Lars Nelson, filer, in charge of the gang saws at Farr's mill.
North Muskegon, has lived in Muskegon since 1868, and has been
filing since 1866. He has been in his present place since 1878.
Jakes E. Sovacall is a resident of North Muskegon, where he
has resided since 1876. He makes a business of furnishing mining
parties on Bear Lake with boats, fishing tackle, etc.
W. D. Thayer, saw filer, in charge of the circular saws at the
French mill, North Muskegon, is a resident of North Muskegon,
and has been filing on the lake for fifteen years. He has been in
his present place since the spring of 1880.
R. E. Tripp, painter, North Muskegon, came, from Chicago in
1881, and started in business as a general house and sign painter.
He was engaged at decorative painting for many years in Chicago.
Charles Van Sickel, saw filer, in charge of the circular saws
at Torrent A Brown's shingle and lumber mill. North Muskegon,
has been filing at Grand Haven and Muskegon for eight years, and
in his present place since the spring of 1881.
William McLean, saw filer, in charge of the gang saws at Torrent & Arms' saw mill, North Muskegon, has been tiling for thirteen
years on the lake, and in his present place since the spring of 1881.
History of Muskegon Co with Illustrations & biographies H.R. Page 1882
© Genealogy Trails