This, although by far the smallest town in the county, ranks
among the best in wealth, population and progressive advancement.
It consists of part of section 28, and sections 34 and 35 of the
township of Muskegon, of which it formerly was. a part. The
boundary line on the north is the channel at the mouth of the lake
and on the south is the town of Norton, and on the east Muskegon
This township was a portion of the territory of Muskegon
Township set apart as Laketon, which was organized in 1865, S. A.
Brown being first Supervisor, and the union of Laketon and Lake-
side was continued for nine years, during which time considerable
dissatisfaction arose in the sections now forming Lakeside, as they
were isolated by the lake from Laketon, and were a mere gore, naturally a portion of Muskegon. This dissatisfaction resulted in 1874
in a petition being signed by A. P. Horton and 37 others to set
apart these sections. John Ruddiman and 22 others sent in a centra petition, but the former prevailed, and in 1875 the Town of
Lakeside was formed, the first meeting being held at A. V. Mann &
Co's office; J. W. Moon, A. M. Allen and F. H. Smith were appointed the first Board of Inspectors. The Supervisors have been:
A. G. Smith, 1875; H. V. Riflenberg, 1876-77; John W. Moon,
in 1878; L. G. Morgan, in 1879; Geo. Tillottson, in 1880; J. W.
Moon, in 1881; P. P. Mizner, in 1882.
The Justices of the Peace in Lakeside in 1881 were Edward
Miner, S. C. Moon and James 0. Allen.
The Clerk in 1881 was A. N. Fowler; Treasurer, Reuben G.
Duel; School Inspector, Henry McEvillie; School Supt., J. C. McGlue.
The population of Lakeside in 1880 was 1,702, but it is largely
increased since then. It stands among the most populous towns in
the county, and united with Muskegon city forms a representative
division of about half the population of the county. The school
population in 1880 was 487. It contains three villages: Lakeside,
which has recently had a postoffice named Ryerson established in
it; Bluffton, with about 700 population and Port Sherman at the
The principal feature of all these villages is, of course, the
mills, which have already been described. A. V. Mann & Co. have
been largely instrumental in the building up of the pretty village of
Mann & Moon's Mill
The Postmaster, Mr. A. W. Fowler, has been a resident of
the place for thirteen years and has been prominently identified with
its growth and business interests. After coming to Lakeside he
was employed in the mills and for five years was foreman of A. V.
Mann & Co's mill. In 1874 Mr. Fowler engaged in the mercantile
business, and when the postoffice was established at Lakeside in
1881 he was appointed postmaster and now conducts the office in
connection with his store.
Among the other prominent residents William W. Wheaton,
livery-man, Lakeside, is one of the enterprising young business men
of this growing place. Mr. Wheaton was born and has always
lived here. In the spring of 1879 he put up a large barn and stable
and engaged in the business of conducting a general livery and
boarding stable. He is doing a large and prosperous business.
P. B. Pillsbury, Deputy Collector and Post-master at Bluffton,
is a native of Maine, and came to Bluffton in 1872. In 1878 he
was appointed Post-master and Deputy Collector, both of which offices he still holds. He is also engaged in the mercantile business.
W. W. Pomeroy, of Bluffton, is a native of Connecticut, and
came to Bluffton in 1871 to take charge of the lumber interests of
Kelley, Wood & Co. In 1877 the firm was succeeded by Geo. E.
Wood, of Chicago, and Mr. Pomeroy has remained in charge of the
Bluffton is an important shipping point for lumber, and there
is considerable complaint that the Customs Officer has been removed
from there involving a journey to Muskegon on the part of vessel
owners. Port Sherman at the Mouth has already been alluded to
under the heading of Muskegon as a summer resort. At Port
Sherman besides the large mills of C. D. Nelson & Co., there are
the Sherman House, the Light House and the Government Life Saving Station established in 1878. In 1850 there was but one house
here, that of Fred. Drixilius, but there were there some -400 or 500
Ottawa Indians. The Sherman House, a wooden structure accommodating about 30 guests in summer, was built by Captain Fuller
in 1874, and is crowded during the summer season. Guests from
Chicago, St. Louis and other cities enjoy there fishing, boating,
bathing and the lake breezes.
Capt. Fuller, proprietor of Sherman House, was born in Jefferson County, New York, in 1827, and lias spent 33 years on the
water. He married in 1850 Miss J. Farley, of Watertown, and has
three sons and one daughter. The Captain is also a tug owner, and
came to Muskegon in September, 1867.
Martin Burdge, shop-keeper, was born in Chautauqua County,
N. Y., in 1810, and came to Illinois in 1830, being by trade a cabinet maker, and also going into keeping boarders at Port Sherman in
October, 1850, and has been there ever since, being engaged in fishing, hotel and store keeping. He married April 3, 1842, Phoebe
Caroline Hawley, of Lockport, N. Y., and has lost his four children,
and two by adoption. Mr. Burdge is a very interesting gentleman
to meet, being full of reminiscences of his early days, especially of
the Indians, with whom he held friendly relations, his Indian name
being Mish-e-tone, or the bearded man.
Capt. H. Eastman, of tug Kingsbury, was born in Cattaraugus
Co., N. Y. in 1830, and came with his patents to a farm in Lake,
Ill., and thence to Southern Wisconsin. When 18 he took to sailing
on the lakes, and has made it his life work. Once he was laid up
eighteen months, from breaking his leg by a fall from the mast head.
He came to Muskegon in 1864, and has been in the tugging business
ever since. He married in February, 1868, Buth A. Eddy, of his
native county, and has two sons, Carl E., born September 25, 1869,
Floyd K., born September 2, 1880.
The light house is kept by H. L. Warren, who was appointed
for his gallant and meritorious services in the navy during the last
war on the Ohio and Mississippi rivers. Mr. Warren is a native of
New England, and has spent most of his life on the ocean as a sailor.
He is respected by all who know him, and attends to his duty punctually and satisfactorily.
History of Muskegon Co with Illustrations & biographies H.R. Page 1882
© Genealogy Trails