The extreme northeast township of Oakland County is called Addison. It is a full congressional town, described as town 5 north, range 11 east and, until 1837, formed a part of Oakland township. The surface of Addison is greatly diversified, - generally level in the east, broken by lakes and marshes in the centre, and hilly in the west. The only local elevations are in the southwest, having the nature of a plateau, whose height above the general level is about 100 feet. Its surface is tillable, and there is a tradition that the Indians cultivated several hundred acres of it before the settlement of the whites. Nearly the entire area of the township was originally covered with a growth of timber, a considerable part of which was pine. Dense forests of this timber yet exist in the northern of the township, and it is estimated that fifty million feet of timber can be cut in that region without exhausting the supply. Fine groves of oak also abound, and other varieties of timber grow in limited quantities. There are no extensive plains in the township, and the soil generally is a loamy clay, susceptible of easy cultivation, and remarkable for its fertility. Three-fifths of the area are under cultivation, and the acreage of the several products for 1873, by the census returns, was as follows: Wheat, 3244 acres; corn, 920 acres; oats, 400 acres; barley, 300 acres; and the remainder in grass. Bushels of wheat, 40,727; corn, 30,690; all other grains, 29,766.
There are about two thousand acres of waste land in the township, including one thousand acres of water-surface. The natural drainage of Addison is good. There is a general depression, several miles wide, extending north and south through the town, containing a chain of lakes. Lakeville, the largest of these, is situated principally on sections 22 and 27. Its area is about seven hundred acres, which was produced, to a great extent, by the dam across its outlet. This had the effect of overflowing the intermediate surface of several small lakes, producing a vast pond or lake. The water, consequently, is shallow in places, affording excellent feeding-grounds for the finny tribes. The contour of the lake is very irregular, and its circuit embraces many miles. Its extreme length is one and one-half miles, its width three-fourths of a mile. There are some fine islands compassed by its waters, one of which has been improved for pleasure parties. The outlet of the lake is Stony creek. This stream has a southerly course for a short distance, then flows east along the south line of section 26 and 25 into Macomb county. It receives the waters of several streams, and drains the contiguous country. There is also a series of small lakes in the northern part of the township. They flow in a general easterly course, and their outlet is a small stream flowing in a southeasterly direction through section 12. A number of springs are found in the western part of the township, and excellent water can everywhere be procured at a moderate depth.
|EARLY SETTLERS||THE FIRST....|
|1830||Births, Deaths, Marriages|
|1834||Justices of the Peace|
|School Districts||Methodist Episcopal Church|
|Cemeteries in Township||Roads|
|Soldiers of 1812||Dennes Snyder|
|BUSINESS||Abram A. Snyder|
|Town Pound||Jacob Snyder|
|Tavern||George M. Boice|
|Physicians||Samuel E. Ferguson|
|Chapel's Store||Cornelius Selfridge|
Copyright © Genealogy Trails