New Hudson, Michigan (New Hudson Depot - 1910 ) contributed by Paul Petosky
were made in the vicinity of the present village of New Hudson as early
as 1831 or 1832. Among the first settlers in the neighborhood were Daniel
Richards and Russel Alvord (who laid out the village in 1837), Mark N.
Spellar, John A. Hand, William Goldy, Heman Smith, and others. The
village is located on both sides of the Detroit and Howell turnpike, and
is surrounded by a rich farming country.
The first log house was erected by Daniel Richards, in 1832.
The first frame dwelling was built by A. I. Allen, in 1837.
The first brick house was erected by Lansing Smith, in 1853.
The first tavern in the village was erected by Russel Alvord. It is a frame structure, the origial portion of it still doing duty. Heman Smith purchased it about 1842, and built the ball-room. After passing through several other hands, it came into the possession of the present owner and proprietor, Albert Hollonback, in 1868.
The first store was kept by Dr. John Curtis and John A. Hand, in a small log building on the site of the dwelling now occupied by the widow of John B. Taylor. this establishment was first opened in 1834, but was preceded by a very small mercantile venture by one Goodspeed, who had formerly dispensed a small stock of goods from the same building.
The first post-office established at New Hudson was in 1834, and Dr. Curtis was appointed postmaster. It was known to some that the doctor contemplated moving to Kensington, and to those he promised not to move the office. He took it, and its enormous emoluments with him, however. Twas worth from ten to fifteen dollars a year.
New Hudson, Michigan (Post Office - 1930s ) contributed by Paul Petosky
The first blacksmithy was that of Joseph Elder, in 1839. The shop was burned during his occupancy of it.
The first school was taught in the old district No. 6, about 1836. This, with district No. 7, was consolidated in 1867, and organized into a graded school. The year following a fire brick school-house was erected, at a cost of six thousand dollars. The building committee consisted of Messrs./ George Vowles, Warren Hodges, and N. G. Piney. The first teacher was Thomas Bogart; the present one is Miss Hattie Warren.
The business of the village is now represented by two general stores, a hotel, post-office, Henry Vowles, postmaster, - a wagon-shop, which was established by Orlando Gurnee in 1855, employs four bands, turns out work to the amount of three thousand dollars annually. There is a blacksmith's shop, two harness-shops, two churches, - one Universalist and one Methodist Episcopal, - and the graded school above noticed.
The Detroit and Howell Turnpike Company was organized in 1850, and the road constructed through the village about that time. The toll-gate was established there, and Lansing Smith was made the first tool-gate-keeper. The village is in a flourishing condition generally, and is a neat, and tasty place.
New Hudson, Michigan (New Hudson Hotel - 1910 ) contributed by Paul Petosky
Copyright © Genealogy Trails