Genealogy Trails

Oakland County Michigan

 Oxford Township

The fertile town, 5 north, range 10 east, of the United States surverys, received the local name of Oxford in 1836.  The general character of its surface is an elevated plain, broken by hills in the east and the northwest, with some lowlands in the southern tier of sections.  Passing northward from these, the ascent of the surface is gradual but marked until it terminates in the divide or water-shed between the Clinton and Flint rivers, in the northern part of the township.  This is a well defined ridge, having a general northwest and southeast direction, whose highest altitude, as determined by the engineer corps of the Detroit and Bay City railroad, is somewhat over five hundred feet.  Nearly the entire area of these elevated lands is susceptible of cultivation, and there is comparatively little waste land in the township.  The entire surface, with a few exception localities, was originally timbered, principally with oak, interspersed with pines.  Section 3 and 10 were originally covered with dense forests of white cedar, whose products have been very valuable to the township, furnishing thousands of rails.  Almost the entire northern portion of the township has been fenced with this wood.  The soil of Oxford is generally productive, and nearly all the grains yield rich returns.  The township is especially noted for the production of wheat and apples.  There are a number of small lakes.  The largest of these, Stony lake, situated on section 16, covers about one hundred acres.  It is a fine body of water, having firm, gravelly banks, sloping to a fine beach.  The level of the lake is forty feet below the surrounding country.  There is no inlet or outlet, yet its waters are remarkable for their freshness.  They have lately been stocked with white-fish.  Horseshoe lake, on section 10, received its name from its shape.  A branch of the Clinton river is its outlet.  It has a northeastern course, passing out of the town near the east line of section 3.  This stream and Paint creek, in the western part of the town, afford the principal drainage.  The latter stream rises on section 18, and has a southeasterly course through sections 20, 28, and 34 into Orion township.  There is some marsh surface along the Clinton river, and the contiguous country is covered with a growth of cedar.  Near Marl lake, in section 34, are extensive peat deposits.

Our thanks are due Hon. Samuel Axford, Alanson Decker, Hosea Campbell, John Thomas, Henry Frink, Doctors O. E. Bell, J. F. Stanton, and E. Burdick, Adam Rossman, David Applegate, Hoyt W. Hollister, Grandy Earl, Rev. Milo Smith, Rev. Solomon Snyder, and others who have rendered us valuable assistance by the information they have given us concerning the history of Oxford township.

Township Information

EARLY SETTLERS THE FIRST....
Avery Brown Land Purchase
Elbridge G. Deming Settlement
John Rossman Frame House
John Shippey Physician
John Willman Birth,  Death
   
   
   
BUSINESSES FARM IMPROVEMENTS
Pioneer Bell maker Early Orchards
Early Taverns Improved Stock
  Improved Farm Machinery
SCHOOLS Indian Harvesting
Schools and School Houses  
Oxford Institute RELIGION
  Pioneer Ministers / Meetings
GOVERNMENT The Christian Church
Town-Meeting Baptist Church
Township Officers Methodist Episcopal Church
Official Records  
   
CEMETERY TRANSPORTATION
Township Cemeteries Roads
  Railroads
   
POST OFFICE LODGES/ORGANIZATIONS
Post-Offices and Mail Routes Oxford Lodge No. 44, F.A.M.
  Oxford Chapter, NO. 94
  Anchor Lodge, No. 281 I.O.O.F.
  Oxford Division, Sons of Temperance
   
MILITARY BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES
Soldiers of 1812 Hon. Samuel Axford
  Alanson Decker
  David Applegate
  Mansfield J. Park
TOWNS AND VILLAGES Hoyt W. Hollister
Oakwood Moses B Killam
Thomas William H. Powell
Oxford Village John Moyers
   
   




 


HOME

Copyright © Genealogy Trails