Oceana County Michigan
VILLAGE OF NEW ERA
New Era, MI (Bird's Eye View -
1909) - contributed by Paul Petosky
This is a small post office village,
established in 1872 on the arrival of the iron horse. D. B.
Goble was the first postmaster, succeeded by the present
incumbent, J. M. Wilson. There are two groceries in the
village, and a sawmill with one upright saw. The citizens
built the depot, which is four miles south of Shelby, and
just within the town of Shelby, with Grant over the town
line. The chief business done here is lumbering and in tan
bark, ties, etc. There is also a coal kiln not far distant.
In 1878 the village is thus spoken of in the Pentwater
News: "Like other stations on new railroads, it is
'growing.' A new station house is being erected, and the
frames of some other buildings are raised. Mr. A. M.
Spaulding owns the mill that has been in operation for some
time. Mr. E. C. Hurd has erected a new mill during the
season, and is now building a dwelling house. quite a
spacious schoolhouse is built a little southwest of the
station, and Mr. G. B. Goble, one of the honored pioneers of
the county, lives on his farm, which adjoins the station.
The altitude of the land varies in the town of New Era. On
the west and southeast it is rather low, while on the
northeast it is quite high, there being a point near Mr.
Spaulding's mill where the vision can reach almost to
Montague. New Era has a never-failing brook, or small stream
of water, such an one as is always a thing of beauty and
value to the farm or the town."
New Era, MI (Pere Marquette Depot
- 1909) - contributed by Paul Petosky
All data on this website is © Copyright
by Genealogy Trails with full
rights reserved for original submitters.