Hart Township
Oceana County Michigan

This fine agricultural township was, prior to 1861, a portion of Elbridge, which then included four towns, extending from east to west. The following is a list of the leading officers of the town: Supervisors.—Josiah Russell, 1861-’62; Robert F. Andrews, 1863-’65; David L. Garver, 1864; Abijah W. Peck, 1866; Theron S. Gurney, 1867; Altaz A. Darling, 1868-’69-’70; William J. Sprigg, 1871-72: David Johnson, 1873-74; Enoch T. Mugford, 1875-82.

Clerks.—James H. Slater, 1879-’80-82; Abijah W. Peck, 18061-'62; Leonard E. Clark, 1868; Peleg A. Hubbard, 1864; William H. Cheney, 1865; William H. Leach, 1866: William A. Peck, 1867; C. A. Gurney, 1881: John M. Rice, 1868: Theron S. Gurney, 1869-70-1; Charles W. Slaton, 1872; Marcus H. Brooks, 1878-74-5-6-7-8.

Treasurers.—Charles W. Wilson, 1861; Daniel M. Wentworth, 1862-64-5; Nehemiah Miller, 1863; George B. Rollins, 1866-’82; David Benham, 1867; Frederick G. Reeding, 1868-'69; John Westbrook, 1870-71-2-5; Josephus S. Peach, 1878-74; Peleg A. Hubbard, 1876; Mills H. Bosworth, 1877-78; William D. Markham, 1870; Isaac D. Reed, 1880.

The first birth in the town was that of Flora McAllister, May 22, 1850.

The first boy born was George A. Glover, December 15, 1856.

The first house was built by Nelson Glover, on Section 6, in 1856.

The first marriage was that of Charles Williams to Mary O. Rollins.

The first death was that of the wife of James Mooney, in 1859.

The first school was taught by Mary O. Rollins.

The first marriage in what is now the village of Hart, was that of Melvin A. Luther to Ida J. Corbin, at her father’s house, by Rev. G. D. Lee, August 5,1866.

Huff & Cheney kept the first store, in 1865.

The first man buried in Prospect Hill Cemetery was H. H. Fuller, killed by a falling tree, in 1861.

Among the early births may be mentioned that of W. E. Mugford, November 8, 1858.

Hiram E. Russell visited the township in 1855, and located a homestead on Section 18, January 1, 1856, when there was not a house in the town. In that, year Glover, Jenks aud Rollins built, and Russell built in November.

The first brick store was erected in 1881, by W. Coolidge,— “The house that Jack built".

The first postmaster was W. H. Leach, in 1861.

The first hotel was opened in 1867 by B. Moore.

The first comity building in Hurt was occupied in 1864, and still stands on the hill east of the old sawmill and gristmill. The county officers all occupied one room. The only other buildings in the village then were Corbin’s log boarding-house and the house and office now occupied by L. A. McIntyre & Son.

The first house in the village was Corbin's log boarding-house.

The first drug store was by Dr. M. R. Chadwick, in 1868; the second was by J. K. Flood, in 1869.

The first hardware store was by Culver and Slater, about 1866.

The first newspaper was the Journal, May, 1869.

The first church built was by the Old School Baptists.

EARLY SETTLEMENT.

In the Spring of 1856 Nelson Glover settled on the farm on which he still resides, and the same Spring there also settled a man with his family just across the river from him, named William Dunham, and east of Glover, on the same side of the river, was Jacob Schrumpf, another Scotchman named McAllister, and also Joseph Rooth, and a Mr. Green. In the same Spring Dr. Ira Jenks came from Kent, in company with two other men, wending his way via Croton, on the Muskegon, across the Marengo Plains, through the wilderness, with a pocket compass, to the lake shore below Pentwater, and two sawmills and a boarding-house, with one partly built, was all there was then of Pentwater. Dr. Jenks came up the woods, and called on Mr. Glover. In June he came again, and chopped on his place, having had to cut a road four miles into his place. His hark shanty had no floor, no door, no window s, and the hark had curled so that one could put one’s head out of the cracks, if one wished. In about three weeks, George W. Light and Edward Davis, with their families, settled on what is VanWickle’s place. Judge Russell, with his two sons, Hiram and George, came in for a few weeks, and did some chopping on their place this season, but the judge and his family did not move in until 1850. In the Spring of 1857 there were ten families, N. Glover, W. Dunham, J. Schrumpf, J. McAllister, S. Rollins, James Brooker, Ira Jenks, V. Satterlee, G. W. Light, E. Davis, H. H. Fuller.

W. H. Leach put up the first frame dwelling in the village, and was the first postmaster, succeeded by the present. Circuit Judge Russell. Robert McAllister was the first stage, as he carried the mail on his hack from Pent water to White River. If he had passengers, it is not known how he carried them, as even “ the boot” of the stage was full. After this, the mail was carried by one man and three horses. The man rode one horse, and the two remaining horses brought up the rear. Until 1805 the people of Hart got their mail at Pentwater. In 1809 Collins & Roddy earned the mail. The Methodist Episcopal Elder A. A. Darling was the first preacher. In 1809 Elders Crane and Pratt preached in Huffs Hall, and a church was commenced that year. H. Brooks and Miss Ettie Vanwickle were the first teachers iu the new union school. B. Moore erected and kept the first hotel. Nelson Green was the first judge of probate, followed by Josiah Russell, Charles Camp, and Amos Crosby, etc. Nelson Green was the first county surveyor, succeeded by Josiah Russell, and then H. C. Hawley. Tyler Carmer was the first jailer, succeeded by 0. P. Fortner. J. Palmiter published the first newspaper. In 1869 36,036 pounds of maple sugar were made iu this town. The first Episcopal service in Hart was in 1869, by the Rev. Dr. Pitkin.

G. Rollins, Daniel Wentworth and Mr. Spoor, who were among the earliest settlers of Hart, were three ship carpenters, who came to build a vessel for C. Menrs, at Pent water, and Rollins come in first and picked out land for himself and the others. It was his house that the first town meeting of Elbridge was held in, that town then including four towns. Rollins and Spoor are dead, and Mr. Wentworth is in Maine, visiting the scenes of his boyhood.

THE VILLAGE OF HART.

This is the county seat, and although settlement to any extent began only in 1864-’65, it has become in this short space of time, a rising and lively place, with considerable enterprise, and an excellent society, in which the literary taste is commendable. A literary society is kept up, which has been quite successful, and books of standard value find a ready sale with quite a number. Hart is pleasantly situated, on rising ground, and is healthfully located. The residences, many of them fine, are all neat and well kept, and there is an air of thrift and comfort about the whole village. Manufactures are beginning to be introduced, and the time will shortly come when a railroad will be carried on farther north, and this will give additional impetus to the place. The country around is improving, and as agriculture, stock raising and fruit growing develop, the village will steadily rise. Hart has a sure future. It is the county seat, and the county officials reside there.

Section 17, on which Hart stands, was first taken up by George, a son of the late Josiah Russell, but owing to his sickness and death, it reverted to the Government. Elbridge G. Farmer then took it, and commenced the erection of a sawmill. Corbin & Ford, from Tompkins County, N. Y., bought of Farmer and completed the sawmill and old grist mill, the latter running in 1862. The first house erected was a building on the hill, west of the mill, afterward used as a blacksmith shop, and now removed. The big boarding house, still standing, on the east side of the old grist mill, was the next. Corbin & Ford, the former of whom has passed away, and the latter still resides in Hart, succeeded in inducing the county to locate the couuty seat ou their ground, giving the present site and $1,000 to bring it. In 1804 the county seat came to Hart, when it was almost a wilderness, and but a half dozen families in the village.

P0STOFFICE.

The first postmaster was W. H. Leach, appointed iu 1864, and holding office uutil about January, 1809, in the building now occupied by the Argus, when F. J. Bussell took charge, and continued until May 12, 1878. A. R. Chappell then held the position for eight years, uutil June 4, 1881, when L. A. McIntyre was postmaster until October 1, 1881, after which the present incumbent, James K. Flood, has been postmaster, and has put in an elegant new case, one-third larger than before. The office was moved by Mr. Bussell to the building next north of the present office; Mr. Chappell moved it first to his hardware store, then to Floods (now Hatch’s) drug store next to his hardware store, where Bates' restaurant now is, next to where his own store is; on December 15,1881, the postoffice was in its present place.

It became a money order office on July 15, 1869, and last year there were issued over 1,800 orders, the number of orders to date being over 12,000. Culver & Slater received the first money order.

BUSINESS ESTABLISHMENTS.

In Hart village there are two hardware stores, three general stores, one grocery, exclusively, one dry goods, exclusively, one boot and shoe store, two furniture stores, one grocery and millinery, two restaurants, one harness shop, two newspapers—Journal and Argus — two drug stores, one bank, two wagon makers, four blacksmiths, six practicing lawyers, four doctors, one dentist, two saloon keepers. There is also a large flouring mill, a sawmill, a planing mill, and the large institution of the Hart Manufacturing Company. Bricks are being manufactured on a small scale, and new marble works are about to open up.

THE HART MANUFACTURING COMPANY

This company was organized October, 1870, for the purpose of manufacturing staves, heading aud hardwood lumber. The machinery is propelled by a forty-live horse power engine, and consists of a fifty-two inch circular saw, cross-cut saw, planer, beading machine, heading turner, stave machine, extra boiler for running dry kilns and steam boxes. The size of the main building is 40x60 feet, with wings 20x30, and there are three dry sheds for staves, each 100 feet long. The officers are: David Ben hum, president; W. McRae, vice-president; O. W. Knox, secretary; A. R. Chappell, treasurer; W. McRae, mill foreman; D. Benham, yard foreman. The company employ fifteen men, use 3,000 cords of bolts annually, and saw 1,000,000 feet of hardwood. Capital stock, $10,000, and besides lumber trade, they do a business of $15,000 annually. Joseph Codd is engineer, John Carey head sawyer, W. McRae filer. The business is about to be enlarged, as it has paid well, so far. Van Wickle & Riddell's Planning Mill, for the manufacture of sash, door and blinds, and general planing, was established in 1881. Size of building, 24x50 feet. The machinery, consisting of planer, matcher, moulder, scroll saw, turning lathe, and sash machinery, is propelled by a twenty-two horse power engine.

Slater's Harness Shop was established at quite an early day. The present owner having purchased, in May, 1881, the interest of C. E. Croff, is doing a good business on Main Street, manufacturing and dealing in saddles, collars, harness, whips, etc.

The Oceana Flouring Mill.—The first flouring mill was built in 1862, by Corbin & Ford, at the foot of the old pond, to the west of the village; the old mill is still standing, but is going to decay.

In January, 1866, Mahar Wilton purchased the mill and ran it as a custom mill, having two sets of buhrs three and a half feet in size. The water power that ran the mill is now utilized to drive Wigton & Bosworth’s sawmill. In 1875 the last-named firm erected their present fine flouring mill, 40x65 feet, and live stories, with the basement, and with four sets of buhrs, two of four feet, and two of three and one-hall feet; machinery propelled by water. An addition 80x60 feet, two stories, is used as an elevator for grain storage. The mill has a capacity of 120 barrels of Hour in twenty-four hours, and is about the latest in the state. It has also a set of stones for feed and coarse grain, and another for middlings, making the new process flour. It is lifted up throughout with the most modern and latest improved machinery. Stephen Burdick is the head miller, succeeding, iu 1882, AV. L. Miller.

T. J. Main’s livery has been about ten years established, and since 1878 Mr. Main has run a stage, iu connection with his livery, to Hears. His stable is on Courtland Street.

The Photograph Gallery of Curtis A. Gaines, on State Street, was established in 1879, and since 1877 he has repaired clocks and watches.

C. W. Slayton's furniture shop is located on State Street, and contains a general assortment of furniture, sewing machines, organs and other musical instruments. Mr. Slayton purchased, in 1870, the business of C. Miller, which had been running several years. Waters & Co’s furniture shop was established in 1870, by J. A. Sack rider, and sold to Waters & Co., February 1, 1882. The firm deal in all kinds of furniture, and do a large business.

Widoe's clothing store was established in October, 1878, and is located on Main Street. Mr. Widoe is a vouug man of energy and good business talent, and is about to extend his already extensive business by fitting up a large adjoining building into a clothing factory. Mr. W. carries one of the heaviest stocks of ready-made clothing and furnishing goods between Manistee and Muskegon, doing, in 1881, a business of $16,000.

Wigton's boot and shoe store, on State Street, was established in 1881, aud does a business of $10,000 annually.

Bailey & Cahill's agricultural implements agency carries a stock of $6,000, and does a business annually of double that amount.

This Citizen’s Exchange Bank was established in November, 1871, and is a private banking firm, the members being A. S. White, F. J. Russell and J. K. Flood, Mr. White being cashier, and G. Alverson assistant cashier.

W. E. Thorp’s general store, on Main Street, was established in 1876, and does a business of $12,000 annually.

Matthews & Chappell’s hardware business was established in October, 1878, carrying a stock of $4,000.

Johnson & Co.'s hardware business was purchased in 1870 by Johnson & Chappell, from Mr. Staler, who had commenced business two years before. Johnson & Co. carry a stock of $4,000.

The Saw and Planing Mill of C. G. Bussell, with sash, door and blind factory attached, was established in 1807 by Rutherford & Benham, after which Jacob Hiles purchased Mr. Rutherford's interest.

In 1870 D. F. Rice became owner, and in 1881 Mr. Russell purchased. The machinery is propelled by a thirty-five horse power engine, and consists of a circular saws, moulding, mortising, shaping machine, etc., with sand paper machine, scroll saw, blind, sash and door machinery.

W. Collidoe (Jack's), State Street, carries a $3,000 stock of groceries, doing a business of $15,000 annually. He established business in 1875, and built his brick block, the first in Hart, in 1881, He has a public hall above.

J. D. Reed, groceries and millinery, comer State and Washington Streets, commenced business in July, 1877, and has a large custom.

J. K. Flood, dry goods and groceries, bought of George A. Wagar, on State Street; business established in 1881, doing $25,000 annually.

Mrs. W. W. Beaumont, dry goods and notions, established on State Street, in 1875, doing a large business.

0. W. Knox’s general store, established on Main Street, in 1868, and in 1875 moved to State Street. Originally started by White & Knox, and the latter purchased in 1874. He does a large business.

The Wagon and Carriage Shop of J. K. Cooper & Son was established in 1867, and is now on State Street; size of building, 20x 82, with paint shop in second story; blacksmith shop, 20x32. The Wagon and Carriage Shop of B. S. Parks, on State Street, was established November, 1878.

The Sewing Machine Agency of L. E. Pratt was established in 1880, and handles the genuine Singer, doing a business of $15,000 annually.

Moore’s Hotel, built by B. Moore, in the Fall of 1806, opened June 16, 1867; leased in 1872 to Tyler Cornier, and afterward to J. Tyler, and now, since 1878, to W. H. Bailey. Size, 10x52. The Bank, and dwelling attached, built by B. Moore, in 1878. Dr. L. Stuck, dentist, came to Hart in August, 1880, and being very skilful and experienced, has met with great success. He is a graduate of Wisconsin Dental College, and has had twenty-five years’ experience.

The church edifices are those of the Methodist Episcopal, and that of the United Brethren.

Hart was first supplied with Methodist preaching from the pastor at Pentwater. The first pastor appointed to the Hart charge by the conference was Rev. J. R. A. Wightman, in 186(5. In 1867

Rev. B. S. Pratt was pastor, followed by Rev. G. A. Phillips in 1869, he by Rev. C. Howe in 1871, he by Rev. E.L. Kellogg, 1878, and he by Rev. J. Draper in 1871. In 1875 Rev. J. N. Dayton was pastor; he was succeeded by Rev. J. H. Thomas, in 1877, and he by Rev. W. L. Tilden, in 1879.

Hart has a very neat and commodious school building, two stories in height, with excellent grounds, and a small building on the same lot for a primary school. Prof. Janies Brassington, who recently passed the examination in law and has commenced practice in Hart, was, until recently, the efficient principal.

Joe Hooker Post No. 26, G. A. R., was organized August 16, 1881, and is a flourishing institution, with over 30 members. The following are the officers for 1882: W. E. Thorp, commander; L. G. Rutherford, senior vice commander; 1.D. Reed, junior vice commander; W. R. Colier, surgeon; J. V. Cahill, quartermaster; L. G. Crumb, chaplain; J. A. Colier, officer of the day; J. H. Slater, adjutant; William McRae, officer of the guard ; Frank Edwards, quartermaster sergeant; C. E. Croft, sergeant major.

The Hart Cornet Band was organized in August, 1878, making its first appearance in public in October following. The leader is Charles Bergman (E flat, cornet). The members are: J. Widoe, drum major; W. H. Bailey, B flat; C. Rollins, B flat;C. A. Gurney, B flat; B. S. Reed, alto; C. Johnson, alto; G. A. McIntyre, alto; W. H. H. Turner, tenor; A. Rollins, baritone; W. Vanwickle, tuba;T. J. Main, base drum; E. Fisher, snare drum; F. Falkener, cymbals. The band is becoming quite efficient, and is popular and obliging.

BIOGRAPHICAL.

George Bate was born in Hamilton, Ont., June, 1818; moved to Rochester, N. Y., in 1822, and to Lenawee County, Mich., in 1848, and engaged in the baking business. In 1865 he moved to St. Joseph County, Mich., and was in the fruit culture. In 1881 made Hart, Oceana County, his home, and is engaged in the baking and grocery business.

David Bexham was born in Onondaga County, N. Y., May 29, 1826. Early learned the trade of carpenter and joiner, at which he worked in Tompkins County till 1865, when he made Hart, Oceana County, his home, and engaged in building and contracting, doing a great portion of the building in Hart for some years. He and partner established the planning mill on Water Street, and at present, 1882, is president of the Hart Manufacturing Company. Married, May 29, 1849, Mary A. Niver, who was born in Tompkins County, N. Y., November 12, 1880.

Rev. John Bliss was born in Pennsylvania, December 9, 1829. Received a common-school education. Settled in Sheboygan County, Wis., in 1846, and engaged in farming. Moved to Lake County, IL in 1819. Commenced preaching in the Wesleyan Methodist Church in 1858; ordained in 1861, since which he has ever followed his calling in different localities. Settled in Hart, Oceana Co., Mich., in 1866, and for five years acted as missionary to the Indians in that county. Also has a farm on Section 14, Hart Township. Has been twice married; first, March 24, 1851, to Maria Butcher, who died November 9, 1858; second marriage, August 14, 1864, to Martha J. Curtis, who was born in Onondaga County, N. Y., June, 1834.

M. H. Bosworth was born in Bradford County, Pa., January 30, 1829. In 1862 he settled in Ashtabula County, Ohio, and in Hart, Oceana County, Mich., in 1871, and is in business with Mahar Wigton,in their flouring and sawmills. Has held the office of township treasurer two terms, and is considered a thorough business man. Married, July 2, 1851, to Lydia P. Wigton, who was born October 3, 1829. One son, M. W., born December 18, 1857.

Stephen Burdick was born in Herkimer County, N. Y., March 29, 1826. Moved, when very young, to Chautauqua County, N. Y., where ho remained till 1841, when he settled in Erie County, Pa., where he remained three years; returning to Chautauqua County, where he learned the trade of miller. In 1852 he returned to Erie County, Pa., and for four years was head miller in the Girard mills. In 1867 he made Hart, Oceana Co., Mich., his home, and at present (1882) is engaged in the flouring mill of Wigton & Bosworth; besides having a farm on Section 27. Married, August, 1849, to Laura J. Hall, who was born in Cattaraugus County, N. Y., May 7, 1828. Three children.

John V. Cahill was born in Erie County, N. Y., May 8, 1840. Moved to Green Lake County, Wis., in 1848. Enlisted October, 1861, in the Tenth Wisconsin Infantry, and served in the Army of the Cumberland for three years; was wounded in the head at Perryville, Ky., October 8, 1862. In June, 1872, went to Marion County, Kan., where he remained five years; then settled in Hart, Oceana Co., Mich., and worked at his trade—carpenter and joiner till 1880, when he established business in the sale of agricultural implements. Married, June 4, 1867, to Lydia E. Miers, who was born in Luzerne County, Penn., March 8, 1848.

D. Calkins, blacksmith, was born in Charleston, Orleans Co., Vt., June 26, 1844, and when two years of age removed to Quebec, and at eleven again removed to Watertown, Wis. On July 12, 1861, at the first call, he enlisted in Company I, Seventh Wisconsin Infantry, serving bravely through the war, but chiefly in Company C. Sixteenth Wisconsin Infantry; was with Sherman to the sea, and discharged September 3, 1865. He came to Hart, September 1, 1877, and has been there ever since, with the exception of an engagement with Sands & Maxwell, of Pentwater, for about a year, and which will terminate next Spring, when he intends to again become a resident of Hart. He married, December 5, 1872, Nettie L. Anderson, of Ohio. Mr. Calkins is an excellent workman, thoroughly master of all its details.

Dr. Michael R. Chadwick was born in Merionethshire, Wales, April 6, 1819. Settled in Michigan. Graduated in medicine at the Rush Medical College, Chicago, in 1855. Dr. Chadwick immediately commenced tine practice of his profession in Marion, Grant Co., Ind. In ???? he made Hart, Oceana Co., Mich., his home, still practicing, together with the drug business, in connection with his son, H. J. Chadwick, a graduate of the Michigan College of Medicine, Detroit, in 1881. Dr. Chadwick was married December 25, 1848, to Caroline Godden, who was born in Stark County, Ohio, November 25, 1828.

A. R. Chappell was born in Eaton County, Mich., October 9, 1844 His first business on his own account was farming. In 1869 he engaged in the manufacture of hand rakes and handles. In 1870 he settled in Hart., Oceana Co., and with D. Johnson established a hardware store. The copartnership continued till 1878, when Mr. Chappell went for himself till 1880, when lie took a partner (D. J. Matthews), who is still in business with him. Mr. Chappell is also a stockholder and treasurer of the Hart Manufacturing Company; has been notary public twelve years and postmaster from 1872 to 1881; married December 28, 1865, to Mary J. Salisbury, who was born in Monroe County, N. Y., April 29, 1817.

Lyman B. Corbin. — Among the many who have contributed their energies toward making Hart what it is and what it hopes to be, there is, perhaps, no one more entitled to take a front seat than the subject of this sketch. He was born in Chenango County, N. Y., April 15, 1814. Early learning every department, of the business connected with the gristmill, we find him as early as 1815 erecting a large stone mill at Dry den, N. Y. In 1862 he settled in Hart, Oceana County, and the same year built the first gristmill in this part of the county. Later we find him exerting a powerful influence toward securing the county seat and railroad in Hart. He was twice married; first, in 1887, to Mary A. De Long, who died (September 8, 1852; second, August, 1858, to Sally A. Messinger, who died April, 1879. He died August 22, 1880, leaving six children—Mrs. N. Miller, Mrs. M. A. Luther, Mrs. W. Hart, Webb, Fred. L. and Frank. Fred. L. Corbin was born in Tompkins County, N.Y., February 8, 1858. Married, February 10, 1881, to Laura Collins, who was born in Hart Township, June 2, 1862.

Seth Darling was born in Herkimer County, N. Y., July 18, 1819. Settled in Kent County, Mich., in 1848, and in Hart, Oceana County, in 1860, on Section 33, where he now lives, and is engaged in farming and fruit culture. Married, March 16, 1847, to Hannah E. Hutt, who was born in Cherry Valley, N. Y. January 8, 1827. Two children—Franklin P., and Willie S.

D. T. Demmon was born in Wyoming County, N. Y., July 17, 1837. Settled in Hart, Mich., in 1867, and is engaged in farming on Section 33; also owns and operates a steam thresher. In Winters he is largely engaged in getting out lumber of various kinds. He served in the Ninth New York Cavalry during the war of the rebellion. Married, May 2, 1859, to Sarah Ann Loomis, who was born in Wyoming County, N. Y., April 8, 1840. Four children— Frank L., Lula A., Norman R., and Hattie A., born August 28, 1872, and died February 18, 1878.

Seth Edson, of the Oceana Journal, was born in 1824, in Chardon, Geauga Co., Ohio, and received his education at the Chardon and the Western Reserve Seminaries. He has been a teacher for many years, being six years engaged in a select school in Hampden, Ohio, and one year in Chardon Union School. In his native county he was county school inspector for several years, and six years county surveyor. He came to Hart in April, 1871, assuming charge of the school, which he taught seven terms; was then elected county superintendent of schools for two years, after which he resumed the charge of Hart school for three terms. In 1878 he was elected county surveyor, serving two years. On February 18, 1878, in company with Mr. Palmer, he assumed charge of the Oceana Journal. In February, 1880, the latter sold his interest to H. A. Garver, who, in turn sold, in August, 1882, to Mr. Matthews, of the Fremont Indicator. Prof. Edson was elected county school examiner for one year in 1881, and re-elected for three years in 1882. He was married in July, 1857, to Mary Ann Hungerford, who died November 11, 1861. On June 27, 1863, he was married to Carlie Bradley.

Byron M. Ellis was born in Morgan County, Ohio, February 2, 1852. Settled in Kent County, Mich., in 1864, and in Hart, Oceana County, in 1877, on Section 34. Married, April 17, 1877, to Emma J. Peckham, who was born in Muskegon County, Mich., March 7, 1859.

Ira C. Ford was born in Seneca County, N. Y., March 30, 1850. Moved to Fulton County, Ohio, and to Oceana County, Mich., in 1875. Engaged in farming till 1881, since which he has been scaling logs. Was superintendent of schools in Crystal for three years. Married, January 28, 1878, to Clara L. Main, who was born in Tompkins County, N. Y., June 20, 1858. Two children— Mary A. and Lloyd A.

Peter Gallien was born in Ohio, July 15, 1837. Settled in Racine County, Wis., in 1848; learned the mason's trade, which he followed for a while in Wisconsin, and still follows, in connection with farming. Settled in Hart, Section 28, in 1864; married December 24, 1861, to Julia Ann Palmiter, who was born July 16, 1842. Three children.

D. L. Garver, farmer, was born in Wayne County, Ohio, on the 28th day of October, 1828. He worked on his father’s farm until he was seventeen years old; then worked five years at the cabinet business. In 1840 he was married to Miss N. A. Smith, of Ashland County, Ohio. In 1851 moved to Medina County, Ohio, and during three years was engaged in mercantile business, and again worked at farming until 1863. He then moved from Medina County, Ohio, to this county, and settled on Section 20,in the Township of Hart. During the last fourteen years he has been engaged most of the time in inventing new machines and getting them patented. Among others is the two first Spring Harrow Patents, known as the Reed Kalamazoo spring tooth harrow, and the Lansing coil spring harrow. These harrows are a great success, and have gained a national reputation. He has also another valuable patent, the Garvey bevel cut hay knife, which is meeting with a large sale. He has four children, Benjamin S., residing on the adjoining farm Allen J., late of the Oceana Journal, Lydia J., (Mrs. E. Palmiter, of Grand Rapids), and Lizzie M.,(Mrs. Arthur C. White, of Grant.)

Charles Gurney was born in Grange County, Ohio, June 6, 1853. His father moved to Tuscola County, Mich., the same year. Mr. Gurney received the degree of B. S. at the Tuscola High School, and subsequently studied law, and was admitted to the bar in 1881. For several years Mr. Gurney has been engaged in teaching school a portion of the year. Settled in Hart in 1879, and is the present township clerk.

Theron S. Gurney was born in Geauga County, Ohio, December 12, 1886; received an academic course at Willoughby University, Ohio. Subsequently, in 1861, he graduated in the Ohio State and Union Law College, at Cleveland, after which he was principal of the Chardon Union School, Geauga County, winch position he retained till 1865. In 1866 he inside Hart, Oceana Co., Mich., his home, and commenced the practice of law, which, with the abstract business and loaning money, he still follows. He has been county clerk, register of deeds, township clerk, etc. Married, March 27, 1862, to Helen A. Bradley, who was born in Lake County, Ohio, June, 1841; has two children,—Anna H. and John A.

Dr. Henry B. Hatch was born in Kalamazoo County, Mich., July 31,1858; received his literary education at Hillsdale College,Michigan. He studied medicine, and graduated at the Medical University of Michigan at Ann Arbor, in 1876, also receiving a special diploma for physical diagnosis. Upon graduation, he immediately commenced the practice of his profession at Three Rivers, Mich. In 1878 he located at Hart, Mich., where he still continues the practice of medicine in connection with a large drug store, purchased of J. K. Flood. Dr. Hatch was married May 14, 1875, to. Clara S. Trax, who was born in Pennsylvania, February 28, 1857, one child, Sadie M., being born May 7, 1878.

Horace J. Holmes, contractor and builder, was born in Erie County, Pa., December 19, 1824, and received his education and a thorough training in the trade of cabinet making, in his native place, where he resided until he was in his nineteenth year, when he went to Buffalo, N. Y., for a year, working at his trade. He then spent, a year in Tompkins County, N. Y., and in December, 1845, he went to Wisconsin, where he resided until he came to Hart, with the exception of some years iu the army and a year in 1874 spent in Kansas in securing a homestead, after which he returned to Oshkosh, Wis., and in April, 1878, came to Hart, where he has ever since resided, and has been quite successful in business, having drawn plans and erected the best buildings in the village and vicinity. He enlisted in August, 1861, in the Tenth Wisconsin Infantry, serving three years as musician, when he was promoted to a second Lieutenancy in Hancock's veteran corps, still in the Army of the Cumberland. Although escaping without serious wounds, Mr. Holmes suffered from the long marches, and received a pension on account of physical disability caused thereby. He married, April 15, 1848, Diana Cahill, who died in February, 1850 and re-married June 15, 1851, Catherine Cahill. He has one surviving child, Kate, born February 14, 1875. Mr. H. is a prominent Freemason and Odd Fellow.

David Johnson, son of Hezekiah, was born in Green County N. Y., June 18, 1832, and the same year his father settled in Huron County, Ohio. Mr. Johnson’s early occupation was that of clerk. In 1858 he settled in Barry County, Mich., and soon engaged in farming, which he continued till 1870, when he made Hart, Oceana Co., Mich., his home, and engaged in hardware business, which he still follows. He was elected probate judge in 1880—still holds. Married, March, 1851, to Lydia Reed, who died November 10, 1880, leaving three children—Charles R., Lewis E. and Jennie. His father, Hezekiah, died at Coldwater, Mich., November 3, 1876.

W. F. Lake was born in Warren County, N. Y., September 6, 1820. Settled in Hillsdale County, Mich., in 1887, and in Hart, Section 32, in 1850. Married, January 1, 1857, to Lucy Warren, who was born in Huron County, Ohio, January 10, 1837.

Melvin A. Luther was born in Tompkins County, N. Y., October 17, 1841. Settled in Hart, February, 1866, on Section 16, where he now lives. Enlisted April, 1861, in the Twenty-third New York Volunteers; served two years; wounded at Smith’s Mountain, Md. Married, August 5, 1866, Ida I. Corbin, who was born in Tompkins County, N. Y., August 5, 1849. Three children—Ernest L., Fred. A. and Martin E.

Thomas J. Main was born in Tompkins County, N. Y., May 24, 1829. Settled in Hart in 1800, and worked as carpenter and joiner. Established a livery in 1878, which he still carrres on. Married December 11, 1850, Sollalia J. Niver who was born in Tompkins County, N. Y., August 6, 1833. Two children.

Ambrose Mason was born in Washington County, N. Y., October 16, 1830. Settled in Ashtabula County, Ohio, in 1836. He lived in Lenawee and Hillsdale Counties, Mich., from 1860 till 1867, when he settled in Hart, Oceana Co., Mich., on Section 28, where he resided till 1882, when he moved to Hart, to work at his trade—a builder and contractor. In the present county coroner. Married February 9, 1860, to Ann G. Burke, who was born in Mahoning County, Ohio, May 21, 1888. Five children—Calvin B., Mary 0., Lizzie A., Ina S. and Ambrose J.

Jesse Mills was born near Toronto, Canada, October 26, 1847. Settled in Hart in 1860. Enlisted, in 1868, in the Twenty- sixth Michigan Infantry. Taken prisoner at Appomattox, June 5, 1864. Now is engaged in farming on Section 22, Hart Township. Married, July 4, 1870, to Agnes Gratten, who was born in County Down, Ireland, July 24,1851.

Robert McAllister was born in Dumfrieshire, Scotland, February 28, 1817. Emigrated to New Brunswick in 1824; thence to Livingston County, N. Y., in 1838. In 1850 he settled on Section 5, Hart Township, Oceana County, where he now lives. Married, October 12, 1843, Henrietta Rosebrugh, who was born in Livingston County, N. Y., September 8, 1823. Six children.

L. A. McIntyre, proprietor of the Hart Argus, was born at Prescott, Ontario, February 6, 1830, and when ten days old was taken by his parents to New York State, where lie remained until he was twenty-seven years old, when he went to Ontario, in which country he resided until 1870, with the exception of a year spent in Ohio, in 1865. He then came to Michigan, spending four years in the practice of medicine in Casnovia and three years in Hesperia. He entered on the publication of the Argus in 1877, and has conducted the paper ever since. He married, January 1, 1857, Hannah, eldest daughter of Jeremiah Ames, a prominent and wealthy citizen of Morristown, N. Y., and their family consists of two sons and two daughters, Lucy A., George A., A. Gilbert and Laura A.

N. Miller was born in Tompkins County, N. Y., August 26, 1838. Settled in Hart, Oceana Co., Mich., in the Spring of 1861; worked in Corbin & Ford's gristmill for about three years. In 1866 he settled on Section 9, where he now resides, being a farmer. Has been justice, constable, deputy sheriff, under sheriff, and township treasurer. Married, December 26, 1860, Amelia E. Corbin, who was born in Tompkins County, N. Y., December 31, 1838. Two living children—Mary L. and LeRoy.

W. L. Miller was born in Onondaga Township and County, N. Y., September 13, 1824. In 1881 he settled in the town of Bennington, Genesee County, remaining till 1889, when he made Cattaraugus County his home. He early learned the trade of miller at Springville, Erie Co., N. Y. he worked as miller at Lockport and Batavia till 1852, when he settled in Clark County, Ohio, where he remained till 1878, when another move found him at Grand Rapids, Mich. In 1878 he settled in Hart, Mich., where he is engaged as headmiller for Wigton & Bosworth in their flouring mill. Married, January 1, 1849, to L. M. Springsteen, who was born in Monroe County, N. Y., January 18, 1828. One child.

Benjamin Moore, lumberman, came to Hart October 21, 1866, and has resided there ever since. He immediately commenced the erection of his hotel, which was opened June 16, 1867, being the first hotel in the village. In 1873 he leased it to Tyler Carmer, eighteen mouths, but has for the last few years rented it to Mr. Bailey. In the Spring of 1872 he erected a sawmill at Mears, which he has run ever since. Mr. Moore is of an inventive turn of mind, and patented, in 1870, a valuable invention for clamping window sash, and has also made a valuable improvement on mill dogs. He has by industry and steady application to business acquired a competency.

Enoch T. Mugford was born in Portland, Me., January 14, 1829. Settled in Chicago in 1852, following the trade of carpenter and joiner. In 1854 he made Oceana County his home, and in 1858 settled in Hart Township, Section 30, where he now resides. Has held several township offices, and is now serving his seventh term as supervisor. Married, March 21, 1851, to Martha Jane Nutter, who was born in Wolfsboro, N. H., September, 1828. Five children—William E., Joseph B., Menzo E., John P., and Susan M.

C. C. Newell was born in Geauga County, Ohio, August 28, 1851. - Settled in Hart, Section 36, in 1869; occupation, a farmer.

Judson Palmiter, publisher of Shelby "Independent", is a resident of Hart village, and was born in Warren, Trumbull Co., Ohio, June 10, 1827. When twenty-seven years of age, he removed to Noble County, Ind., and in 1869 came to Hart, having been since 1858 almost continuously engaged in newspaper work. Mr. Palmiter commenced April 30, 1869, the publication of the Oceana County Journal, at Hart, and in the fall of the same year bought out the Oceana Times, of Pentwater, in which he gave a small interest to Amos Dresser. He subsequently sold the Times to Platt & Matthews, who removed it to Fremont Centre. In 1874 he sold the Journal to B. F. Saunders, removing to Newaygo, where he started the Tribune. After two years, leaving the Tribune with his eldest, son, he returned to Mart, arid re-purchased the Journal, taking in Prof. S. Edson as a partner. In two years he parted with his interest in the Journal to Mr. Garver, and having two other printing offices on his hands, he took one—the Times, of Pentwater and removed it to Shelby, commencing the issue of the Independent April 10, 1880. Mr. Palmiter married, in 1851, at Braceville, Ohio, Miss Harriet S. Stow, and they have three surviving children, Easton E. S., born June 20, 1854; Minnie, born June 8, 1859, and Henry, born April 15, 1870.

Amos C. Randall was born in Yates County, N. Y., February 8, 1818. Early occupation, a farmer and teacher. Settled in Oceana County, Mich., in 1856, in what is now Shelby Township. In 1869 he settled on Section 14, Hart Township, where he now resides. Since he has lived in the county, he has been highway commissioner two years, justice eleven years, township clerk four years. Married, February 20, 1840, to Sophronia Anderson, who was born September 2, 1822. Five living children. One son, Lewis A., born June 27, 1817, and died August 10, 1864, from disease contracted in the army.

Frederick G. Reading was born at Detroit, Mich., September 14, 1833. He early learned the trade of carpenter and joiner, which he has followed in connection with contractor and builder, but at present (1882) he couples farming with his trade, living on Section 9, Hart Township. He has been township treasurer, justice of the peace, etc. Served iu the army in the quarter-master s department for two years, Army of the Potomac. Married, January 1, 1860, to Matilda Baxter, who was born in Charleston, N. Y., July 24, 1837. Six children, all girls. His father, H. H. Reading, was born in Summerset County, England, December 4, 1800. Settled in Oakland County, Mich., in 1882; lost his wife March 4, 1881; now lives with his son in Hart, and is engaged in life insurance.

Isaac D. Reed was born in Trumbull County, Ohio, October 10, 1835. At the age of eighteen learned the trade of carpenter and joiner, which he followed some three years. In 1850 he settled in Barry County, Mich., and engaged in fanning. In May, 1861, he enlisted in the Third Michigan Volunteers, serving in the Army of the Potomac, and participated in all of the engagements, till the Fall of Richmond, as regimental wagon-master. Settled in Hart in 1877, and engaged in mercantile business. Is the present, township treasurer. Married, August 24,1864, to Frances M. Cannon, who was born in Huron County, Ohio, March 14, 1847. Two children.

James Edwin Reed was born in Sharon, Conn., on April 28, 1816, where he lived until he was eighteen years of age, when he went to Ohio, and remained there until he was twenty-one years old. Then he returned to Connecticut, and remained until 1840. On June 1 of that year he married Phoebe A. Sardam, of Salisbury, Conn., and in the following October they went to Ohio, and commenced farming, in which he was generally successful. In 1866 he sold his farm in Ohio and moved to Jackson, Mich., where he engaged in the drug business, and had a good business, but for some reason not accounted for, was not successful. From Jackson he went to Oceana County, in 1867, and bought a piece of wild land, where he now resides. Having cleared his land of tho forest, he has continued the farming business to this date.

Edgar D. Richmond, county clerk and register, was born in Euclid, Cuyahoga Co., Ohio, May 5, 1837, and was brought up on his paternal farm until 1849, when he went to Shaw Academy, in East Cleveland, for two years. He then clerked in a dry goods store until the Spring of 1857, when he came to Pentwater, to work for Charles Means. He took propeller from Chicago to Lincoln, and there met Dr. D. G. Weare, who had arrived the Fall previous. They traveled on foot, together, from Lincoln to Pentwater. Mr. Richmond took charge of Mear’s store until 1862, when he went into business for himself, taking in Woodruff Chapin as a partner. After two and one-half years, they took in John Bean, Jr., and together they bought out Hart, Maxwell & Co. In 1862-63 Chapin, Richmond & Bean had built a shingle mill, the first that sawed shingles on this shore. They sold out to Phillips & Browne, (afterwards Pentwater Lumber Co.) From 1860 to 1860 Mr. Richmond has been elected and served three terms as county clerk and register, and had been postmaster of Pentwater from 1861 to 1865, which office he resumed from 1878 to 1877, after which life removed to Hart. Previous to leaving Pentwater, he started a store and had a sawmill in Golden, but in August, 1875, the mill was burned, proving a heavy loss. He continued the postoffice at Pentwater until January 1, 1877, and went into the insurance business. Since his residence in Hart, Mr. Richmond has been steadily elected county clerk and register, in which office he gives unbounded satisfaction, being thoroughly competent, and having a minute knowledge of the affairs of the county. He also does a large business in insurance, real estate and money loaning. He married, August 3, 1859, at Ionia, Josephine M. Rounds, by whom he has one son, Eddie, born January 1, 1863. Mrs. Richmond died July 6, 1866. In November, 1869, he married Lydia L. Dunwell, of Allegan County, Mich., by whom he has two children: Ollie B., and Jerome D.

George B. Rollins was born in Poland, Me., March 11, 1838. Settled in Oceana County in 1855. Enlisted in 1862 in the One Hundredth Indiana Volunteers; served three years as chief regimental musician. Married, March 11, 1866, to Mary A. Hitchcock, who was born in Munson, Ohio, January 25, 1845.

Sylvanus G. Rollins was born in New Gloucester, Me., May 18, 1813. Settled at Irving, N. Y., in 1836, remaining for a term of years, when he made Cleveland, Ohio, his home, following his trade, that of ship carpenter. In 1855 he found his way to Pentwater, Oceana Co., Mich., where he worked at his trade for a year, when he settled on Section 16, Hart Township, remaining till the time of his death, which occurred February 5, 1875. Mr. Rollins was among the very first settlers in Hart Township. At his house the first town meeting was held. He was elected the first supervisor. His daughter, Mary 0. (Williams), taught the first school, and was the first lady married in Hart. Mr. Rollins was married May 18, 1835, to Susan C. Sawtelle, who was born in Minot, Me., December 19, 1812. Eight children—Eliza B., George B., Mary 0., Lucretia, Albert H., Margaret Jennie, Charles E. and Alfred.

Among the prominent and honored pioneers of Oceana, was Josiah Russell, father of the present circuit judge, who was born in Maine, in 1802, and died at his son's residence, in 1875. He settled at an early day in Montcalm county, where, as County judge, he opened the first court of record. In 1856 he was induced, by the report of a rich lead mine, to come to this county, and finding what was of more value than a lead mine—a rich agricultural country— he located on the west half of the section on which Hart village now stands, but on account of the death and sickness of his son, George, it reverted to the Government. Judge Josiah Russell located much of the land for actual settlers, and, being a man of energy and capacity, he was elected to many offices of public trust, such as supervisor, county surveyor, judge of probate, and state senator. His family moved to the county in March, 1858, although the judge himself was here some years previously. He was a warm advocate of Hart for county seat, and his influence was a powerful factor in deciding the question.

L. Gideon Rutherford, prosecuting attorney, was born of Irish parentage, at Bath, N. Y., January 2, 1842. He remained at home until fourteen years of age, when he ran away and worked all Summer in a logging fallow. Afterward, returning home, he attended school three Winters, when he entered a law office in Bath, remaining until December, 1861, when he enlisted in the Seventy-eighth Regiment New York Volunteer Infantry, in which he served until December, 1863, when he was discharged for disability. His health having gradually improved, in July, 1864, he returned with the One Hundred and Eighty-ninth New York Volunteers, being Second Lieutenant, taking part in every battle of the Potomac from September, 1864, to Appomattox Court House, in 1865. He was promoted to a captaincy in the One Hundred and Eighty-ninth. He then returned home, entering upon mercantile life until 1867, when he came to Hart. With Mr. Benham, he built a sash, Wind and door factory, and sold it the same Fall, and commenced speculating in real estate. Meeting with some financial reverses, he went to work for Wigton, in the sawmill, for a year. In 1870 he was admitted to the practice of law, in which he has ever since been engaged. In the Fall of 1880 he was elected prosecuting attorney, running over 1,000 ahead of his ticket, which was a fusion of Greenbackers and Democrats. Since he has held the office there have been but two men acquitted of the charges brought against them. He is judge advocate of the Grand Army of the Republic for Michigan, and one of the national council of administration for the same institution. He was married, December 30, 1865, to Miss Charlotte Beaty, of Tyrone, Schuyler Co., N. Y., and they have two children, Mac and Maggie, aged respectively five and one years.

Victory Satterlee was born in Onondaga County, N. Y., April 20, 1822. Moved to Warren County, Pa., in 1831, and to Montcalm County, Mich., in 1847. In 1857, before the organization of the township of Hart, we find Mr. Satterlee cutting his road from Shelby to his future home in Hart. His nearest gristmill was Grand Rapids, and, with no neighbors south of Pentwater River in Hart, he commenced to hew out a home for himself and family. Upon the organization of the township, in 1858, lie was elected justice, and ever since he has been esteemed as a worthy citizen. He has been engaged in farming till 1880, when he settled in the village of Hart, and purchased a hotel. Married, March 9, 1845, Mary Ann Fish, who was born in Cattaraugus County, N. Y., February 28, 1831. Seven living children, and lost three by death.

Dr. L. Stuck was born in Seneca County, N. Y., January 1, 1831. Moved to Steuben County, N. Y., in 1835, and to Adrian, Mich., in 1842. Dr. Stuck has practiced dentistry since 1858. He invented and patented the metallic die for artificial teeth, which is being recommended and used by several universities. He located at Hart in 1881. Married first in 1858, to Sarah Baronin, who died in 1854; second marriage—in 1857, to Emma M. Wheeler, of Hudson, Mich.

Andrew D. VanWickle was born in Wayne County, N. Y., April 12, 1825. Settled in Erie County, Ohio, in 1844, and engaged in manufacturing and selling farming mills for twelve years, when, in 1856, he moved to DeKalb County, Ind., and engaged in the same business for six years. In 1862 he settled in Van Buren County, Mich., remaining till 1865, when he made Hart, Oceana County, his home, settling on Section 34, and engaged in farming. Since he has been in Hart, he has enjoyed the confidence of his townsmen to a large extent, having been supervisor, justice of the peace, president of the agricultural society, etc. Besides being engaged in general fanning, he is paying considerable attention to fruit culture; also breeds the Holstein variety of cattle. Married, September 27, 1847, to Sarah B. Morehouse, who was born August 1, 1825, and died October 31, 1856; second marriage, March 14, 1857, to Helen A. Bishop, born in Wayne County, N. Y., October 10, 1837.

W. H. Waters was born in Broome County, N. Y., May 14, 1842. Settled in Jackson County, Iowa, in 1854, moving to Montcalm County, Mich., in 1855; returned to York State in 1858, remaining till the Spring of 1862, when he settled in Oceana County, Mich. Enlisted, in 1864, in the Third Michigan Infantry; served in the Army of the Cumberland till the close of the war. Engaged in farming till 1875; then worked as carpenter and joiner till 1882, when he purchased an interest in a furniture store on State Street, Hart. Married, August 28, 1862, to Charlotte Goodenough, who was born in Broome County, N. Y., October 20, 1843.

A. S. White was born in St Lawrence County, N. Y., November 21, 1842. In 1867 he settled in Clinton County, Mich., and engaged in the mercantile business with Mr. Knox, where they remained one year, and then moved their business to Hart, Oceana County, where they continued the business until 1874, at which time Mr. White retired from the mercantile business, and with others established a bank in Hart, since which he has been its cashier. Married, February 24, 1875, Ella H. Alverson, who was born iu Jefferson County, N. Y„ May 5, 1811. Two children.

Mahar Wigton was born in Sussex County, N. Y., January 25, 1803. At a very early age, in connection with his parents, settled in Columbia Comity, N. Y., where he remained till 1815, when he moved to Tompkins County, and was married April 15, 1826, to Amelia Ellis, who was born June 3, 1804, and died April 10, 1868, at Hart, Mich. Mr. Wigton commenced in life (having learned the trade of miller) as a farmer, miller and lumberman, in Erie County, Penn., in 1826, where he remained till 1850, when he moved to Chautauqua County, N. Y., remaining till 1860, when he made Hart, Oceana Co., Mich., his home, and is the owner, with his son-in-law, Mr. Bosworth, of a large flouring and custom mill, saw mill, and much village property. He has four living children,—Mrs. Lydia P. Bosworth, Mrs. Nancy A. Sprigg, Edmund P., and Warren M.

Warren M. Wigton was born at Harbor Creek, Erie Co., Pa., September 24, 1843. In 1849 moved to Ripley, Chautauqua Co., N.Y. In 1866 made Hart, Oceana Co., Mich., his home, where he still resides, being bookkeeper and general manager in the firm of Wigton & Bosworth, in their flour and sawmill. Has held the position of secretary of the Oceana Comity Agricultural Society for several years. Mr. Wigton has been twice married, first, February 14, 1870, to Mary P. Huff, who was born in Jackson County, Mich., November 17, 1851, and died at Hart, January 30, 1871; second marriage, May 8, 1878, to Miss Elizabeth Kelley, who was born in Lenawee County, Mich., 1854.

Will H. Wigton was born in Erie County, Penn., November 29, 1858, being grandson to Mahar Wigton, and son of John E. Wigton. Settled in Hart in 1866; commenced in the boot and shoe line, March 1881, on State Street, and is doing an extensive business in that line.

Dr. S. R. Williams was born in Dayton, Ohio, March, 8, 1810; moved to Wayne County, Ind., in 1815, and thence, in 1848, to Elkhart County, Ind. Commenced the practice of medicine in 1844, which he continued till 1878, when he settled on a farm on Section 17, Hart, where he now lives. He made Hart village his home in 1867. Married, December 25, 1885, to Mary Marine, who was born in Wayne County, Ind., June 28, 1820.

Samuel Yates was born in Wiltshire, England, April 28, 1822. Settled in Ionia County, Mich., in 1857, and in Hart, Oceana County, in 1863, on Section 18, where he now resides, and is engaged in farming, gardening, and dealing in stock. Married November 14, 1860, to Mrs. Samantha Hatch, who was born in Genesee County, N. Y., in 1828, and died October, 1864.
History of Manistee, Mason and Oceana counties, Michigan 1882