Oceana County

Michigan


History of Shelby Township

From the History of Manistee, Mason and Oceana counties, Michigan Page 127 - 1882


The first meeting of the town, which was at first Stony Creek, was at Wheeler's mills, on the first Monday in April; Harvey Tower, chairman. This being the first election of the township, the electors went into caucus, and proceeded to nominate officers, after which they adjourned one hour. They then proceeded to poll the votes, polls closing at "half-past 8 o'clock." $75 was voted to defray town expenses. There were sixteen votes cast, in all, and the elections were practically unanimous. The following was the list of officers: supervisor. Warren Wilder, (now of Whitehall); clerk, Malcolm Campbell; treasurer,James McNutt; justices of the peace. E. Rich, A. R. Wheeler, Jasper Thompson and H. Harris; commissioner of highways, James McNutt, Harvey Tower and W. Wilder; school inspectors, Warren Wilder, Harvey Tower; constables, John Strong, John Steams.

The following is the list of supervisors, clerks and treasurers, to the present time:

Supervisors.—Warren Wilder, 1855; Wm. Gardner, 1850; L. D. Eaton, 1857-58; S. E. Knowles, 1859; H. Hoffman, 1800- 61; Bird Norton, 1862; Wm. Weston, 1603; Silas C. Powers, 1864; Warren Vradeuburg, 1868; Walter H. Churchill,-1800; Parley R. Cady, l867-"68-9; Andrew Maples, 1870-71-2; George W. Woodward, 1873,74-5-6-7-9-'80-2; A. H. Bearss, 1878; W. H. Barry, 1881. Clerks.—Malcolm Campbell, 1855-'56; Henry Hoffman, 1857; D. M. Merrifield, 1858; George Semhack, 1859; Wm. Weston, 1800-01-2; E. W. Elliott, 1803; A. C. Randall, 1861; Orrin Deming, 1865-66-7-8; W. H. Churchill, l809-70-l-2-3-4-7-,81; H. 0. Bickford,1875-76; Alpheus Neff, 1878-79-80; Manly C. White, 1882. Treasurers.—James McNutt, 1855-50; John Steams, 1857; L. M. Curtis, 1858; Wm. Gardner, 1859; James McNutt, 1800-1-2; James A.Hall, 1803; Alva Babcock, 1804; R. Vradeuburg, 1805; Calvin S. Reed, 1860; 0. G. Marvin, 1807; James S. Runner, 1808; A. H. Bearss, 1869-72; David Stringhan, 1870-71; Alex. Pettinger, 1873-74-5-0-7-8; Parley R. Cady, 1879-80; A. Z. Moore, 1881-82.

In 1862 the town of Shelby, (called then Benona) was set off by itself, and there were but eight voters, and all voted for Bird Norton as supervisor. 1868 and 1864 seem to have been years of confusion, as the officers were always resigning. In the latter year there were eleven voters. In April, 1870, a vote was taken to give aid, to the amount of $7,195.20, to the G. R. & L. S. R. R., which was carried, but owing to some legal flaw, never paid. The people of Shelby built the depot, at a cost of $1,200. In 1875 G. W. Woodward, Greenbacker, gained the election for supervisor by thirteen majority, over A. H. Bearss, Republican. In 1877 Mr. Woodward on an independent ticket defeated A. H. Lewis, Greenbacker, by thirty-six votes; again, in 1879, he defeated W. 11. Dunn, Republican, by fourteen votes, and in 1880 had twenty-two majority over Mr. Dunn. In 1881 W. H. Barry, Greenbacker, defeated P. R. Cady, Republican, by twenty-four votes, and in 1882 G. W. Woodward, Greenbacker, defeated A. H. Bearss by ninety-five votes. The first settlers in the town were: Silas C. Powers, on Section 1; William Weston, on Section 20; A. C. Randall, on Section 8; Orrin Demming, on the same section; Joseph Adams and Truman Jacobs, on Section 14; Wm. Hand, on Section 9; J. G. Weixler, on Section 18, (who still runs a small tannery); W. H. Churchill, February, 186-1; James Runner, March, 1864, and Jesse and Abraham H. Bearss, in 1868.

Before the railway came, in 1872, there was a nucleus of a settlement at Churchill's Corners, on Section 18, where, besides Churchill, was A. Neff, with a blacksmith shop, and James Williams, with a general store, who afterward moved to Shelby. In 1872 Mr. Churchill built the depot, and a store, in which, with A. Neff, he carried on the hardware business until 1876. Mr. Churchill is postmaster, and besides having held for many years several municipal offices, has been justice of the peace fourteen years, and has been elected for four years more.

As showing the rapid growth of the township, we give the names of all the voters in 1864, when Silas C. Powers was elected supervisor. These were: S. C. Powers, A. C. Randall, W. Weston, Joseph Adams, Orrin Demming, M. Forbear, G. Weixler, James Hall, W.Hand, Truman Jacobs and A. Babcock—eleven in all.

In 1864, for three months, Mr. Runner was hired to carry the mail to Benona and back, eleven miles each way, for one dollar a trip. Truly, those were the days when men could go a long way— twenty-two miles—for a dollar, and that through trails and pathless woods. Shelby is now quite a mail distributing-center, receives two mails on the railway daily, also by stage thrice a week, to Ferry, and to Marshville, and once a week to Oceana.

The first hotel may be said to have been at Churchill's corners, near the present village, where W. H. Churchill, that vigorous pioneer, entertained travelers, from December 15, 1866, until 1872, when the railway arrived. The house was built of logs, in 1864, on the northwest corner of Section 16, when there was not a road in the township. In the Fall of 1865 the state road was opened from Whitehall to Hart, and to the Spring of 1860, the first mail route was established, with postoffice at the "Shelby House," (Churchill's), and James Roddy, of Pentwater, first stage-driver.

In the Fall of 1872 the first hotel in the village was built, by A. M. Savage, and called Shelby House. M. L. ago built, in 1870, the Elliott House, kept by Elliott, now of Pentwater, then by Mr. Collins, who has just been succeeded by George Schuyler, of Mears. The first birth in Shelby was that of a sou of A. C. Randall. The first death that of a man named Fowler, killed in 1858, by a falling tree.

The first cemetery was on John Randall's farm.

The first hotel in the village was built by A. M. Savage. The first postoffice at Churchill's, in 1866. The first hardware store by Churchill & Neff. First schoolhouse to 1862, on Section 18. First church, the Congregational, in 1875.

Shelby can boast of a commodious school building, built last year at a cost of $4,000. The teachers this year ore Ambrose Hughes and Misses Luke and Hillings. This is the fourth school building, each of which corresponded to the progress of the place. The first was built in 1862, on Section 18, and was a very humble and primitive affair, being built of logs, with elm bark for the floor, and the same material for the roof. This was about half a mile of the Village. The next was on the southwest corner of Section 10, of logs, with board floor, but still with a bark roof, and was built in 1864. The next was a frame building, near the site of the present school, built in 1873.

The churches in Shelby are two,—the Congregational, built in 1875, and the Methodist, in 1880.

THE VILLAGE IN 1878

An extract from the Pentwater "News" of 1878, when the village was but one year old, will contrast with another from the same paper in 1881, which we append below:

"The village of Barnett, in Shelby Township, started last year, seems to be building, just now, quite rapidly. W. H. Churchill, the postmaster of Shelby, has removed the postoffice to Barnett Station,—-where it presents a very neat and imposing appearance— and, in company with Mr. Neff, Mr. Churchill is keeping a hardware and variety store. Mr. E. J. Shirts, lately of Lansing is keeping a small dry goods store, and is now arranging to build quite a capacious one. Mr. William Branch, in company with another gentleman, has just opened a boot and shoe and general variety store, and all seem to be in prospect of doing a good business. Dr. C. F. Sweet is building a new drug store, and G. W. Woodward, Esq., the newly- elected supervisor, is about erecting a grain warehouse, for the purpose of buying and storing farmers' produce. This will be quite an important feature of the town, as the opening of a cash market for produce is a very great help to any village. Messrs. Malcolm & Williams have a very tine mill in operation here, and thousands of dollars have been paid by different parties for logs, this Winter, to be sawed up into lumber by this mill. Messrs. Williams & Son are about putting up a new store, and will, as soon as it is finished, remove their stock of goods into it from their present location at Shelby Corners. Stumps are very thick in the village of Burnett, but time and labor will soon efface them, and Barnett may erelong be a very pleasant village."

SHELBY OF THE PRESENT



Shelby, MI (Bird's Eye View) (1910) - Contributed by Paul Petosky

The following is from a recent issue of the "News", and shows the village as it is:

"In 1872, when the first iron horse rumbled over Section 17, of Shelby Township, a few rude buildings, not exceeding half a dozen in number, might be seen in the vicinity of what is known as Churchill's Corners, in which were grouped all the business interests of the place. A total inventory of all stock in trade of the business houses at this time might have amounted to $2,000, but would scarcely exceed that amount. Farms, with small clearings upon them, owned by Churchill, Randall, the Elliotts, Jason Carpenter, and others, were noticed, but did not appear to offer very encouraging inducements to a stranger, and travelers generally gave a sigh of relief as they passed, thankful that they were not located in this out-of-the-way spot, among the immense forests which surrounded these hardy pioneers. But the railroad came, a portable mill was built on the site now occupied by C. A. Hawley's extensive mill operations, and a few enterprising persons, noting the wealth of the soil, the magnificent forests of fine timber growing, its favorable location as a trading center, went to work and platted a village, using the old farm of E. W. Elliott, Pentwater's present landlord, for the site. Buildings began to spring up as if by magic, stores to be built, stocks of choice goods to arrive, the great and abundant yield of the soil encouraged farmers, and farm improvements kept pace with the work in the embryo village, and just when the people needed some money, the pigeons came in countless millions, and the Wealth they brought gave a new stimulus to business. Other business enterprises began to start up; Williams Bros' mill, Halstead's wagon works, the stave factory, Rankin's coal kilns, whose business headquarters are in Shelby, all of which poured into the business contribution box of Shelby, thousands of dollars monthly. Merchants, commencing poor, accumulated and spent their surplus in improving and building up the place. Two beautiful places of worship and one of the finest school buildings in the county were erected, and to-day Shelby is a village of nearly one thousand inhabitants, representing nearly every trade and occupation, with two hotels, live dry goods and grocery stores, three groceries, two hardware, two harness shops, one millinery and dressmakers' establishment, two drug stores, one photograph gallery, one furniture store, one barber shop, two jewelry establishments, one meat market, four blacksmith shops, two sawmills, one planing mill, two extensive wagon and carriage shops, five church organizations, established lodge of Odd Fellows and Masons. Sidewalks extend both sides of Main Street, through the entire business portion of the village. The people point with pride to their business houses, and say that to-day an inventory taken of capital employed in business would cany the amount into the hundreds of thousands, and yet not a failure to record against us. Shelby is located in the midst of one of the most fertile fanning counties to be found, her shipments making her especially noted as a potato and wheat producing section, while her fruit, hay and corn products are now bringing her into prominent notice. As a trade center, she draws from the southern tier of towns to within a short distance of Montague; the western and eastern towns she divides with Hart. She is very favorably located upon the railroad, and has the advantage of two trains a day, each way. Taken, all in all, Shelby is a big ten-year- old, and is justified in being proud of her own growth.

BARNETT VILLAGE

There is this peculiarity about Shelby, that while there is a Shelby postoffice, and a Shelby station, the village is platted and recorded as Barnett, and all transfers of property must be recorded with this in view; otherwise they are mill and void. There is also a village of Shelby, recorded by Sweet A Bevier, of Grand Rapids, but it is the northwestern quarter of southeastern quarter of Section 17, consisting of forty acres to the south of the plat of Barnett. Shelby has but few buildings on it, the chief being Williams' sawmill. It was platted for the proprietors by Mr. Churchill, who has sold every lot for residences. Barnett is the western half of northeastern quarter of Section 17, and western half of eastern half of north- eastern quarter of the same section. It was bought and platted by S. A. Browne, A. Pettinger, and James G. Gray, who had eighty acres, and who took Orrin Demming in as a partner, as he had forty acres, adjoining all on Section 17. The name Barnett had rather a ludicrous origin. A railway brakesman of that name offered to pay for all the expense of recording, if they would name the village after him. 0. Demming being one of the proprietors, thought this would be a good speculation, and the rest allowed themselves to be overruled for the sake of peace. After the deed was done, Mr. Demming was met by the brakesman with a laugh, saying that now it was all done, he did not need to pay, and had all the honor! Nobody has yet made a move to have the name of the plat changed to Shelby, and so Barnett still stands.

Wheeler Bros. general store was established December, 1874, by R. H. Wheeler and M. A. Bailey. In September, 1878, C. C. Wheeler purchased the interest of Mr. Bailey, and now the line is Wheeler Bros., and in this they did a business amounting to $41,000, carrying a general assortment of dry goods, groceries, and ready-made coal kilns. The store is located on Michigan Avenue. Store room twenty by ninety; side room for clothing, etc., eighteen by forty-three. Warehouse on railroad track.

E. F. Coon established in 1881, on Michigan Avenue, a business in dry goods and groceries.

White & Dewey's general store is situated on Michigan Avenue, doing a business of $10,000 annually. Business was established by M. C. White as a grocery in 1878, and in the Fall of 1879 G. E. Dewey bought an interest, and it has since been carried on as a general store.

Shirts Bros. general store on Michigan Avenue was established in 1881, doing about $10,000 annually. Partners are E. J. Shirts, and his son, J. D. M. Shirts. They established the first store in what is now Shelby village, September, 1, 1872; sold in 1874, to D. P. Glazier, and he to G. W. Newman, and since May 15,1881, A. G. Avery occupies the same building with a general stock, doing a business of about $10,000 annually.

R. W. Twining commenced a grocery store, November 21, 1881.

The first hardware store in the village was by Churchill & Neff, in 1872, the latter taking the whole business in 1876, and on July 15, 1880, Gaylord & Hill purchased the business. Size of building, ninety-four by twenty-eight, doing a business of $10,000 a year. They also deal in agricultural implements, manufacture tin ware, and sell paints, oils, sash and blinds.

Shirts & Rathbury's jewelry store on Michigan Avenue was established in 1880.

A. H. Stewart had for a time in the same store a stock of musical instruments and sewing machines, but is now by himself.

Hugh Johnston's boot and shoe store was established March, 1879. Tho business annually amounts to about $7,000. He carries a full assortment of manufactured goods, and also makes to order.

F. W. Van Wickle's drug, book, and stationery business, in Post Office Block, established November, 1881, does a business of $5,000 annually.

R. W. Hamlin established the first drug store in 1878-74, and a year later, Elliott Brown established a business in the same line in another place. In 1875, Burt Royal purchased the entire stock of both, and continued the business until 1877, when it was purchased by Keyzartee & Runner. In 1879, Runner Bros, became the sole proprietors, which, together with book and stationery business, they still carry on. Joseph Tyler, in 1882, purchased the hardware business of Dickerson & MeCallum, established the year previous on Michigan Avenue.

BUSINESS ESTABLISHMENTS
A. J. Palmer's furniture and undertaking business was established in April, 1880, on Michigan Avenue; size of building, 24x50. Business done, about $5,000 a year.

Herbert Ashman's jewelry and furniture business was established in 1882, and includes a large general assortment of furniture, undertakers' goods and, jewelry.

S. Kohler & J. Billing's meat market was established by Kohler in 1878, and in 1881 the partnership was formed. They keep a good shop, and have every convenience for doing business.

There are two warehouses near the depot. The first was built in 1873 by G. W. Woodward, and in 1879 an elevator was attached; size of building, 80x80; horse-power house, 22x22. It receives annually about 15,000 bushels of grain, large quantities of potatoes, and receives, also, from abroad, plaster and ground feed. In 1881 it was sold to W. H. Vincore, and shortly after Lot Willitts purchased.

The second warehouse was built by H. Walsh & Son, of Holland, in 1880, and operated by J. F. Eddy. It has a capacity of 1,500 bushels, and has an elevated wagon way, so that grain can be spouted to the car; size of building, 10x27.

The Shelby "Independent" is the first and only newspaper in Shelby, and is owned and edited by that veteran journalist, Judson Palimiter. It commenced April 10, 1880. F. W. Newman is foreman. The office is soon to be removed to more commodious quarters in Mr. Palmiter's elegant new block.

Carl Sorensons temperance billiard saloon was established April 1, 1881, having a billiard and pool table, and dispensing cigars, tobacco, candies and small drinks.

MANUFACTURERS

W. S. Williams's mill for hard and soft lumber, planing and matching, was established in 1870; size of building, 80x60; engine room and side additions, engine, sixty horse power. The machinery consists of a sixty-inch circular, three saw gang edger, cut off saw, two rip-saws, planer, matcher and moulder.

The Shelby Sawmill, owned by C. A. Hawley, was originally one-story, built by Malcom & Worden, in 1871; burned July, 1872; cause, watchman drunk and asleep. In the Fall of 1872, James Malcom and James Williams, known as "Malcom & Williams," commenced a large two-story mill, and finished it in February, 1878—that terrible Winter,—at a cost of about $7,000. Hawley, Thorne, & Co., per C. A. Hawley, agent, advanced them $2,000 for that purpose. August 27, 1878, they sold the mill to Hawley, Malcom & Clark, consisting of Hawley, Thorne Mfg. Co., per C. A. Hawley, agent, (three-eights), James Malcom, (two-eighths), Joseph Clark, (three-eights). In December 30,1878, C. A. Hawley bought James Malcom's interest; in December, 1874, he bought Joseph Clark's interest. During the year 1874, Hawley, Thorne & Co. made an assignment, turning over to C. A. Hawley their interest in the mill, to cancel an indebtedness to him of §1,500. For further particulars, read the biography of C. A. Hawley. The mill contains a large circular saw, three gaugedger saws, cut off and bolting saw, emery wheel, feedmill, planingmill and coiled hoop machinery. Main building, 22x75; engine room 16x22; planingmill wing, employing, on an average, twenty men.

Young & Hinkley's stave and heading factory was established in 1882; size of main building, 40x46; sheds, one 24x200, another 21x170; also office and cooper shop. Engine twenty horse power. The machinery consists of stave cutter, equalizer, three jointers, heading saw, planer, jointer and turner. They cut twenty cords of bolts daily, and employ seventeen men, doing a business of $20,000 annually. Mr. Hinkley is the local manager, while Mr. Young superintends a similar establishment at Hartford, Mich.

NEW ERA.



Birds Eye View 1909 New Era MI Contributed by Paul Petosky

This is a small postoffice village, established in 1872 on the arrival of the iron horse. D. B. Goble was the first postmaster, succeeded by the present incumbent, J. M. Wilson. There are two groceries in the village, and a sawmill with one upright saw. The citizens built the depot, which is four miles south of Shelby, and just within the town of Shelby, with Grant over the town line. The chief business done here is lumbering and in tan bark, ties, etc. There is also a coal kiln not far distant.

In 1878 the village is thus spoken of in the Pentwater News: Like other stations on new railroads, it is 'growing.' A new station house is being erected, and the frames of some other buildings are raised. Mr. A. if. Spaulding owns the mill that has been in operation for some time. Mr. E. C. Hurd has erected a new mill during the season, and is now building a dwelling house. Quite a spacious schoolhouse is built a little southwest of the station, and Mr. G. B. Goble, one of the honored pioneers of the county, lives on his farm, which adjoins the station. The altitude of the land varies in the town of New Era. On the west and southeast it is rather low, while on the northeast it is quite high, there being a point near Mr. Spaulding's mill where the vision can reach almost to Montague. New Era has a never-failing brook, or small stream of water, such an one as is always a thing of beauty and value to the farm or the town."

BIOGRAPHICAL.

Jonathan Halstead, carriage and wagon maker, Shelby village,was born September 5, 1832 in Calhoun County, Mich., where he resided until he was twenty-three years of age, and there learned his trade, at which he has been working since his fifteenth year, acquiring great skill therein. He moved to Nashville, Mich., for two years; thence for another two years to Battle Creek, as foreman of Mr. Clapp's shop, and came to Shelby May 1, 1874. He married, November 1, 1863, Mary E. Reynolds, of Bedford, Calhoun Co., Mich., and has three children, Zoela, Daniel J., and Stanley.

Henry W. Reid, dealer in lumber, Shelby village, was born April 27, 1832, on Mount Desert Island, Me., and at nine years of age came to New York City, and, in 1852, to this state. In 1870 he came to this county, and has lived here ever since, residing in the house next to the depot. He married, in 1850, Elsie Martin, of St. Joseph, Mich., and has a family of eight children; all grown up.

Charles A. Hawley, proprietor of the Shelby sawmills, traces his ancestors back eight generations — to the year 1603. Joseph was born in England, in 1603; was recorder in the Stratford Church, Conn., in the year 1661; died in 1690. His son, Samuel, Sr., born at Stratford, Conn., in 1647; died August 24, 1781. His son, Samuel, Jr., born at Derby, Conn., May 14, 1674: died June 14,1774—100 years and one month old. His son, Obadiah, was born at Roxbury, Conn., February 8, 1680; died August 7, 1751. His son, Richard, Sr., no record of the date of his birth, or date of his death. His son, Richard, Jr., born at Southbury, Conn., February 15, 1777; died January 12, 1828. His son Ebenezer W., born in Connecticut, December 16,1802; died to New York City, July 26,1850; buried at Kingston. N. Y. His son, Charles A., born at Bridgeport, Addison Co., Vt., May 22, 1881. He has three sons now living—-Samuel F., born in Chicago, IL, October 2, 1863; Edwin W., born January 17, 1869, at Park Ridge, Cook Co., IL.: Joseph E. R., born at Park Ridge, Cook Co., IL., September 9, 1871.

Charles A. was the son of a hatter, the oldest of six children. His mother died March, 1848, before he was twelve years old. The live children younger than himself died, one after another, commencing with the youngest. His eldest brother, Samuel F., died April, 1870. His father, Ebenezer W., emigrated to St. Lawrence County, N. Y., January, 1843. Charles A. engaged himself (with his father's consent) to a farmer, at the age of eleven, for three years, for his board, clothing and three months' schooling each Winter. At the end of that contract, he hired out to the same man. Five Summer months, at $4 per month. At the end of that contract, he worked for different farmers, until nearly seventeen; then engaged himself to a farmer four years, to receive his board, clothing and three months' schooling each Winter, and $100. He staid with him four years, got his schooling and $00 worth of clothing, but not the $100. Rented the man's farm one year. At the end of the year, when twenty-two years old, started for Skaneateles, N. Y., with $12.52; worked for farmers Summers, taught school Winters, for two years, and attended school at Auburn Academy one term in the Fall. He manned Miss Electa E. Weaver, a young lady very highly esteemed, of the Edwards stock, at Skaneateles, March 21, 1855-,. Emigrated to Chicago fifteen days after he was married. His wife followed him to Chicago, arriving September 7. Commencing there with nothing, he worked in a hardwood lumberyard in Chicago for two years. He bought a farm of 200 acres, sixteen miles from Chicago, at $40 per acre, in the Spring of 1857, paying $1,000 down, contracting to pay $7,000 in installments.

That was the first and only contract he ever made, that he did not fill (some time, perhaps, but not within the time specified, but in every instance filled it). He worked the farm two years; then the hard times of 1857 (a year always to be remembered by western business men) finished him. He gave up the farm and the $1,000 for the use of the farm two years; and sent his wife and one child to her parents. Hired out to Henry N. Holden, piling lumber at $1 per day, and board himself; and engaged as collector, janitor and usher of Plymouth Congregational Church. In four months sent for his wife, and rented a house in Chicago. He struggled on through the hard times following 1857. Laborer and clerk in a hardwood lumberyard: lumber inspector, lumber commissioner, etc., until the fire. October 9, 1871, which burned so much of Chicago, and burned all he had in Chicago—lumber, books, accounts, and papers of all kinds; everything he had, except his humble home at Park Ridge, Cook Co., IL.

Suffice it to say, that during the good times (for lumbermen) following the fire of 1871, until the Fall of 1878, when Jay, Cook & Co. failed, followed by the failure of very many others, he became manager and part owner of the Shelby sawmill, August 27, 1873. The Winter of 1871 and 1875 he bought it, and, as he supposed, held a good title, except $800, due to Joseph Clark, of West Geneva, Vau Buren Co., Mich.; but within a year he had to pay a chattel mortgage of $415. In June, 1878, paid $000, suit in chancery, favor of Hawley, Thorne & Co., besides about $1,000 in lighting oil the suit over four years. September, 1878, put in new boilers (the old ones parted), costing $750, besides about $800 putting them in and repairing the mill. April 10, 1870, the mill blew into thousands of atoms, by the explosion of the new boilers, killing the engineer, James Ryder, and injuring for life E. C. Hurd; slightly injuring many others. Every casting, shaft and wheel made of iron, was destroyed, except the saw frame and carriage. He rebuilt the mill, commencing to saw twenty-one days after he commenced tearing away the old mill. The first cost of the new machinery was $1680, besides about as much more to rebuild the mill. This money, $960, $750 and $1680, was procured of Henry N. Holden, of Chicago, secured by having the title in his own name, from the court of chancery, in 1878. He also, from year to year, furnished money to stock it, in face of declining market every year. As soon as Mr. Holden is reimbursed, the title of all the mill property is to be vested in him.

To keep from going into bankruptcy during those years of low prices, bad Winters, and big interest, and constant law suits, and the above-mentioned misfortunes, from the year 1874 (following Jay Cook's failure) until 1880, he has used up his home property at Park Ridge IL, besides the assistance from Mr. Holden. As soon as he has paid Mr. Holden he will own the mill property, including about thirty lots, store and two lots, stock, tools, teams, etc. and a farm of 120 acres adjoining the village. He expects always to make Shelby his home. He has done much to facilitate the growth of Shelby, especially the first years of its growth. He trusted every man to lumber that wanted to build. Up to 1879 he was the only man that bought forest products (mostly logs and last blocks). Always made a practice of giving employment to every man that applied, if he lived in Shelby. Donating always when called upon (except to Fourth of July celebrations). A very genial, kind, affectionate man, he has one failing—lacking courage to dun the men he trusted. An active member of the Congregational Church, since seventeen years of age. Donating to the erection of Plymouth Church, at Chicago, Congregational Church, at Park Ridge, IL., and the Congregational and Methodist Episcopal Churches, at Shelby. He is a radical Republican, and Temperance man from his youth up.

Thomas S. Beam an was born in Hartford County, Conn., February 28, 1851. Settled in Allegan County, Mich., in 1850, and in Shelby, Oceana Co., in 1880, on Section 18, and is engaged in farming and fruit-raising, having some thousand peach trees and other fruit.

James S. Livingston was born in Northumberland County, Ont., April 30, 1857. Settled in Shelby, in 1881; engaged in wagon making.

N. B. Farnsworth was born in Livingston County, N.Y., April 27, 1888; moved to Cass County, Mich., in 1858, and to Shelby, Oceana Co., Mich., in 1882, and lives on Section 18. Married first, April 27, 1850, to Maria Crowell, who died July 1, 1857. Second marriage, January 28, 1866, to Kate Huntington. Enlisted September, 1861, in the Ninth Michigan Volunteers; served until the close of the war, and mustered out as captain.

G. H. Eddy was born in Cattaraugus County, N. Y., October 9, 1839; moved to Ontario County, N. Y., in 1861, and enlisted the same year in the Thirty-third New York Volunteers; served two years in the Army of the Potomac, and was wounded and discharged for disability; re-enlisted in the construction corps, as carpenter, and served until the close of the war. Settled' in Shelby, Oceana Co.. Mich., in 1879, on Section 7. Married, April 7, 1862, to Adelaide Lang, who was born in Ontario County, N. Y., in 1810. Three children—Carlos A., Minnie R., and P. M.

John Bierwert was born in Prussia, December 10, 1820; settled in Ontario, Can., in 1811, and in Shelby in 1803; now lives on Section 22. Married, August 15, 1817, to Mary Lindsey, who was born in Ontario, Can., July 4, 1830. Four children.

John Hedges "was born in Otsego County, N. Y., March 19, 1801; moved with his father's family to Yates County, N. Y., in 1808. From thence to Erie County, in 1817, and in 1858 made Springville, Erie County, his home, and engaged in the hardware business. In 1877 he retired from active business, and made Shelby, Oceana Co., Mich., his home, and attends to loaning money, collecting rents, etc. He has a large property for Oceana County. Married, July 10, 1825, to Mary A. Hoagland, born August 20, 1801, and died January 4, 1862. Second marriage to Elmira Eaton, who was born in Erie County, N. Y., September 28, 1819. Two sous— A. D., born July 18, 1827; Clement C, born April 20, 1835, and died December 6, 1864, from disease contracted in the army.

M. N. Collins was born in Geauga County, Ohio, July 1881. Settled in Hart Township, Section 14, Oceana Comity, Mich., in 1858, and followed farming until 1801, when he settled at Pentwater, and engaged in the meat market and grocery business, and was also some of the time in the livery business. In 1871 he kept the county farm, and the three following years. In July, 1881, he purchased the Elliott Hotel, Shelby, which he has enlarged, and still keeps. He married, September 18, 1850, to Jeannette Leonardson, who was born in Lucas County, Ohio, August 80, 1885. Five children—Judson H., Mrs. Laura Corbin, Estelle May, Charles E., James L.

Francis A. Pitts was born in Rochester, X. Y., January 20, 1848; moved to Ottawa County, Mich., in 1861, and in Shelby, Oceana Co., Mich., in 1878. Photographer by trade. Married, August 5, 1871, to Ellen Smith, who was born in Iowa, July 2, 1854.

James D. Pitts was born in Auburn, N. Y., October 7, 1851. Settled in Shelby in 1878, being a photographer by trade.

James Williams was born in Gloucester, Eng., October 6, 1820. Settled in Canada, in 1857, from thence to Aurora, IL.; thence to Whitehall, Mich. Finally, in 1871, he made Shelby his home, and engaged in mercantile business, being perhaps the first to sell goods in the immediate vicinity of the present village of Shelby. Subsequently he built a sawmill, which he operated until his death, which occurred June 10, 1881. Mr. Williams was married, October 18, 1841, to Paulina Prichard, who was also born in Gloucester, Eng., October 12, 1822. Five children - Jeremiah, James H., Waiter S., George F., Albert A., and three that have died—Elizabeth, born December 18, 1840, died October 21, 1880; Rose, born September 80, 1851, died July 12, 1852; William W., born February 9,1849, died January 21, 1870.

Peter Foster was born in Welland County, Out., October 5, 1849: settled to Oceana County, Mich., in 1871, and followed lumbering at Mears. Established grocery business at Shelby, in January, 1882. Married, June 29, 1870, to Elizabeth P. Phelps, who was born in Milwaukee, Wis., June 4, 1860. One child—Mary Anna.

Walter H. Churchill. was born in Batavia, Genesee Co., N. Y. April 27, 1838; settled in Shelby Township, on Section 16, in 1864. Appointed postmaster in 1800, which office he still holds. Has been supervisor, township clerk and treasurer; also, has been a justice for years, and at present, with his official duties, attends to real estate and insurance business. Married first, January 24, 1859, to Jane Green, who was born in Cayuga County, N. Y., and died June 10, 1868. Second marriage, December, 1869, to Lucada Carter, who was born in Genesee County, N. Y., in 1845, and died in 1872. Remarried January 25, 1874, to Sarah Hamlin, who was born in Wyoming County, N. Y., August 1, 1849. One child by second wife—Charles L., born November 11, 1870.

A. Z. Moore was born in Kennebec County, Maine, May 28, 1847. Learned the tanners trade, and worked at it from 1864 till 1871, when he made Shelby, Oceana Co., Mich., his home, and engaged with the C. & W. M. R. R. Co. as station master and operator, which position he still holds.

R. H. Wheeler was born in Merrimac County, N. H., July 16, 1845. Early employment was teaching and clerking, having graduated at the Bryant & Stratton business college, at Concord, IL. In 1874 he made Shelby, Mich., his home, and engaged in the mercantile business, and is doing a very extensive business. Married, March 26, 1871, to Sarah J. Bailey, born in Merrimac County, N. H., August 22, 1847. Two children—Etta V. and Lucy J.

E. J. Shirts was born in Columbiana County, Ohio, March 15, 1827. Settled in Indiana, in 1845; returned to Ohio in 1847. In 1858 he engaged in the grocery business, which he continued for three years; then worked at his trade, a carpenter and joiner. Finally, in 1864, he settled at Lansing, Mich., and engaged to the mercantile business till 1873, when he moved his stock to Shelby, Oceana Co., Mich. Married, July 10, 1853, to Elizabeth Imhoff, from Wayne County, Ohio.

Llewellyn A. Randall was born in Yates County, N.Y., June 27, 1847. Settled, in connection with his fathers family, in Shelby, on Section 8, in 1856, at which time there were very few families in their locality. By trade, L. A. Randall is a builder and contractor.

A. H. Stewart was born in Shiawassee County, Mich., July 16, 1855. Served his time in an organ factory, learning to make, time, ete. In 1876 he established business at Muskegon, Mich., in the sale of organs, etc., and in February, 1882, moved to Shelby, where he does the same business. Married, December 11, 1870, to Alice Brown, who was born October 4, 1857.

James F. Eddy was born in Cayuga County, N. Y., March 26, 1827. Settled in Jackson County, Mich., in 1844; went to California in 1854; stayed two years. Settled in Lenawee County, Settled in Canada, in 1857, from thence to Aurora, IL.; thence to Whitehall, Mich. Finally, in 1871, he made Shelby his home, and engaged in mercantile business, being perhaps the first to sell goods in the immediate vicinity of the present village of Shelby. Subsequently he built a sawmill, which he operated until his death, which occurred June 10, 1881. Mr. Williams was married, October 18, 1841, to Paulina Prichard, who was also born in Gloucester, Eng., October 12, 1822. Five children -Jeremiah, James H., Waiter S., George F., Albert A., and three that have died—Elizabeth, born December 18, 1840, died October 21, 1880; Rose, born September 80, 1851, died July 12, 1852; William W., born February 9,1849, died January 21, 1870.

William F. Lewis was bora in Chautauqua County, N. Y., December 12,1829. Settled in Shelby, Section 3I, in 1866. He is president of the agricultural society for Oceana County. Married, March 24, 1852, to Eliza Erazine, who was born August 8, 1828, and died March 8, 1882. Three children William F., born September 15, 1853, and died February 11, 1869; George, born September 26, 1855, and died August 21, 1876; Eugene, born March 17, 1860, and married, April 20, 1881, to Alzine Green, who was born in Noble County, Ind., May 2, 1860.

Rhodes Willett was born in Monroe County, N. Y., April 12, 1844. Settled in Shelby, on Section 20, in 1867. Has been twice married: first, February 28, 1865, to Olive Esten, who was born in Monroe County, N. Y., August, 1845, and died March 25, 1874, leaving two children—Ida Viola, and Olive. Second marriage, July 4,1875, to Minnie Smith, who was born in Monroe County, N. Y., June 8, 1856.

Daniel H. Rankin was born in Dundee, Canada East, July 12, 1884. Moved to London, Ont., in infancy, remaining there till 1865, when he settled at Marquette, Mich., and engaged in making charcoal, which he has ever since followed. Came to Shelby, Oceana Co., Mich., in 1879, and at present is making 45,000 bushels a month of charcoal. Married, September 22, 1857, to Christie Rankin, who was born in Montreal, Canada, October 21, 1838. Six children—Kittie, Angus D., Daniel D., Jessie, Burt J., Mary; has lost one by death, Duncan, born September 26, 1865, and died October 12, 1867.

David A. Reed was born in Norfolk County, Out., September 10, 1854. Early learned the trade of blacksmith, and settled in Shelby, Oceana County, in 1877, where he carries on business in connection with wagon making. Married, July 81, 1871, to Mary Charlotte Geddes, who was born in Norfolk County, Out., July 29, 1860. One living child, Mary Ann, and has lost two by death; viz., Jennie Belle, born January 22, 1879, died July 13, 1880; William A., born March 11, 1881, died August 9, 1881. His father, Robert, still lives in Ontario; one brother, Samuel C, born March 16, 1846, residing in Allegan County, Mich., is also a blacksmith by trade.

J. M. Wilson was born in Oswego County, N. Y., September 11, 1827. Settled in Adrian, Mich., in 1841; thence to Clay Banks, Oceana County, on Sections 1 and 12, in 1857, and at present is living at New Era, Shelby Township, and doing a mercantile business, and keeping the post office, also buying and shipping lumber of all kinds. Married, March 1, 1848, to Jane Knapp, who was born in Rensselaer County. N. Y., May 6, 1828, and died August 29, 1865, leaving five children. Second marriage, November 15, 1866, to Eliza Lewis, born in Chautauqua County, N. Y., November 1, 1841. Five children by second wife.

Marion E. Hills was born in La Grange County, Ind.. -July 12, 1857. Settled in Grant Township, Oceana County, in 1860, and is now engaged in the mercantile business in New Era. Married, August 15, 1875, to Mary A. McCauley, who was born in Cattaraugus County, X. Y., April 1, 1849. Two children, Willie E., Dazie C.

Levi S. Gaylord was born in Delaware County, X. Y., September 25, 1810. Settled in Lorain County, Ohio, in 1847. His occupation was principally farming, though he learned the trade of hatter, at which he worked for eight years. Settled in Adrian, Mich., in 1865, and in Shelby, in 1866, on Section 7. At present, (1882) has retired, and lives in Shelby village. Married, October 25, 1835, to Julia Baldwin, who was born in Oswego County, N. Y., December 10, 1816, and died May 15,1879. Two living children— Edward B. Gaylord June 9, 1845; married, March 17, 1870, to Miranda Jackson, who was born in Trumbull County, Ohio, June 15,1851, and Sarah E., born July 19, 1830; married, March 18, 1859, to Truman Penneld, and lives in Chicago.

Charles E. Peterson- was born in Herkimer County, N. Y., September 29, 1828. Settled in Shelby, Oceana Co., Mich., in 1879, on Section 3, where he now resides, being engaged in general farming and fruit growing, having 1,300 peach trees, besides cherries, pears, plums, quinces, apples, etc.

Cornelius Whitback was born in Columbia County, N. Y., December 19,1821. Moved to Wayne County in 1831, audio Mon- roe County in 1884; thence to Allegan County, Mich., in 1865, and to Shelby, Oceana County, in 1878, on Section 3. Married, March 6, 1844, to Harriet Manderville, who was born in Columbia County, N. Y., May 6, 1819. One child George H.

Robert Cole was born in Ontario, Can., September 29, 1834. Settled in Shelby, in 1869, on Section 10: is a farmer; also buys and sells stock. Married, first, in 1850, to Margaret J. Cahoon, who was born in New York, in 1834, and died June 28, 1875; second marriage, August 9, 1877, to Mrs. Margaret J. Young (Tibbitts); nine children.

D. M. Cutler was born in Lamblon County, Ont., October 17, 1855. Settled in Shelby, on Section 15, in 1871. Married, November 17, 1880, to Adrie 15. Anthes, who was born in Welland County, Out., July 15, 1856.

Thaddeus C. Fleming was born in Seneca County, N. Y., September 3, 1835. Settled in Adrian, Mich., in 1844, and in Shelby, Oceana, County, in 1868. Married, first, January 28, 1857, to Harriet Kelley, who was born in La Grange County, February 14, 1838, and died May 26, 1877, leaving four children—Ozro, William L., Ida E., Elmer K. Second marriage, April 30, 1878, to Rosaltha Wilcox, born in Ontario, N. Y., April 30, 1849.

History of Manistee, Mason and Oceana counties, Michigan 1882