Rockland, MI - Main Street (1920) - Contributed by
The mining town of Rockland has a population of
about 1,500, is a station on the Chicago, Milwaukee
& St. Paul road, twelve miles southeast of
Ontonagon, has an opera house, weekly newspaper;
Reporter and a bank, three churches; Catholic,
Methodist and Episcopalian and is quite a place. It
was first settled in 1859.
Miners at Rockland, MI about 1900-1910. Photo from
Alfred E Perkins (1867-1947)
grandfather of Jeff Gonyea, is the short
directly below the
blue X toward the rear of
A History of the northern
peninsula of Michigan and it's people: its mining...
By Alvah Littlefield Sawyer, 1911