T. H. Peacock has an extensive planing-mill. He
also manufactures sash, doors, blinds and moldings,
and is a wholesale lumber dealer. He established
his business in 1876, and has now one of the largest
establishments in the county.
The Reed City Roller Mills, Morris & Martin,
proprietors, were first started in 1876, with the old
buhr system. In 1880, they adopted the roller system, putting in eight sets of rollers. The machinery
is run by water power, with a turbine wheel, having
a 14-foot water-fall. The capacity of this mill is 100
barrels per day. The machinery of this mill is complete, and arranged with the skill which only experience can give. The flour manufactured is as
good as any in the State.
I. Grant has also a flouring-mill, with three run of
stone, where he manufactures first-class flour. Capacity, 300 bushels per day. In connection with this
business Mr. Grant has a saw-mill and planing-mill,
and a livery and feed stable.
William Horner is another of the large manufacturers of Reed City. He has a planing-mill, matching and molding machine; puts up boxes for
shipment, and is a general dealer in lumber. He
established his business in 1882. He is a young man
and has the energy and strength to manage the large
and increasing business before him.
Collins & Amspoker are extensive manufacturers
of furniture, and is very creditable to Reed City.
They established their business in 1876, and employ
at present 15 men.
W. H. Whipple has a planing mill, also an elevator, and is a large dealer in grain.
The Reed City Woolen Mills is one of the prominent and valuable industries of the town, and was
established in the spring of 1884, by William Lambert. The people of Osceola County can procure at
this factory, at very reasonable rates, the best of
goods in his line of manufacture, such as flannels,
fulled cloths and woolen yarns. Mr. Lambert has
four looms and employs from 12 to 15 men.
J. & J. Wittner have a water-power roller mill,
situated on the Hersey a little below town. They
have four sets of rollers. In town they have also a
flour and feed store, and are dealers in grain.
Stoddard & Bros, are dealers in general hardware
and mill supplies, of which they have a very large
and complete assortment. They opened their business in 1873, and have now one of the largest hardware stores in the county. They put up the first
brick block in town, which was in 1874.
Densmore & Bros, carry a well selected stock of
dry goods and groceries.
Seymour & Smith deal largely in dry goods, groceries, boots and shoes.
F. J. Tracy keeps dry goods, notions, etc.
Cook Brothers carry a general line of hardware
and mill supplies.
Muehlig & Huss are dealers in hardware.
William & Kerry deal in groceries.
John M. Cadzow has general merchandise.
C. H. Coles is a jeweler with a well-selected stock
and goods in line.
D. M. McClellan has a dry-goods and clothing
Edward Fletcher & Co. keep boots and shoes and
Fred Ballacker has a boot and shoe store.
Charles G. Loase has a banking house, established Jan. i, 1880, and was the first bank opened
in Reed City.
Marble and granite works by C. H. Mason.
The good ladies of Reed City are well supplied
with milliners and millinery goods by Mesdames L.
T. Bayliss, E. Gilbert and Connaut. The Misses
Lamberts are dressmakers, and do fancy work. Miss
Yates is a dress and mantua maker.
C. Rothweller and J. H. Auer arc merchant
tailors, and keep the gentlemen of the city well dressed.
There are three first-class drug stores in the village,
which carry a fine assortment of goods in this line.
They are represented by P. M. Lonsbury, E. R. White and P. H. Hoonan.
W. H. Smith has a general furniture store. Another important branch of industry in this town
is the manufacture of brick. This business is carried on by L. D. Webster and Wm. Jaching. A good
quality of brick is made by them.
Bowie & Mills have a machine shop, where they attend to all business given them in their line.
A. C. Barclay and Hawkins Brothers are dealers in groceries; so also is C. J. Kleischhauer.
G. W. Shay has a livery and sale stable.
H. Buergman, jeweler and gunsmith.
William Curtis supplies the town with news.
T. H. Clayton is a dealer in furniture.
R. L. Wilcox keeps a fruit stand.
H. K. Smith and H. Gerhart have a large assortment of harness and saddlery, and goods in line.
McCultoch & Haynes carry a general line of groceries and provisions.
The bakery business is represented by John Russell and R. Reiners.
William Blank has a grocery (one of the oldest in town) and a saloon.
John Melvin has a furniture store.
Fred Fleischhauer, B. C. Curtis and C. E. Barnes have restaurants.
John Howden, H. Kelley and O. S. Buck supply the town with markets.
D. Adams is a dealer in real estate.
Avery & Williams has a pop factory.
Fred P. Atherson and Frank H. Nix have photograph galleries, and are skilled in their art.
There are two skating rinks in town, run by Higbe & Avery and Hamilton & Titus.
Also there are several saloons, with billiards, and several barber-shops.
Reed City is liberally supplied with hotel accommodations. Among the first of these stands the
National Hotel, with E. A. Carroll as landlord. This hotel is a three-story building and is located on the
best site in the town. The house is well appointed throughout; the cuisine is first-class and the service
is attentive and good. This is one of those favorite hostelries that make a traveler feel at home and
comfortable. Landlord Carroll is one's ideal of a host. He is ever cheerful and happy, and is always
around to sec that his guests are well attended to. If they are sad and lonely, he will cheer them up; if
they are homesick, or have the blues, he will, in order to comfort them, take a game of pedro with
them. This is a great resort for traveling people, and of those who want good living, good company and good cheer.
The Oaks House is a good hotel and has a fine location, being near the depot. It is kept by Messrs.
Bradley & Gray. This house is well furnished, sets
a good table and is well spoken of by the traveling public.
The Gilbert House, George Gilbert, proprietor, is located near the depot. The hotel is a good one,
the landlord is a genial fellow and has many patrons.
At the depot there is a first-class eating-house, presided over by D. Adams, who is a very popular
caterer. This is the best point on the railroad for the traveler to supply the inner wants.
Dentistry is represented by D. C. Felt and H. B. Peck.
Reed City has a very able Bar, which is represented by Messrs. Holden & Whitney, who are also
extensive dealers in real estate.
In the same line are Cooper & Winsor, Melville
Stone and W. E. Bellows.
The village is a very healthy place, yet it is well
supplied with the followers of Esculapius. The
M. D. s arc Collins & Nevill, E. S. Richardson, C.
H. White, A. W. Miller, D. S. Taplin and Albert P.
Reed City shows her musical taste by supporting
a good brass band. It was organized in 1884, and
has 16 members, with Q. D. Hoyt as leader. President, A. T. Amspoker; William Adams, Treasurer;
John Auer, Secretary, and L. B. Avery, Drum Major
The United States Land Office is a consolidation
of the Ionia and Traverse Districts, and was transferred to Reed City soon after it was laid out,—or a
few years after,—being established in April, 1878.
Nathaniel Clark is Register and W. H. C. Mitchell is
Receiver. It embraces the western half of the State.
There is yet to be disposed of in this district about
50,000 acres of Government land. The location of
this land office at Reed City was a great benefit to
The enterprising citizens of this place have organized an industrial association, the object of which is
to further the interests of the town, but more particularly to assist worthy manufacturers who want aid
in extending their business. They are clear-headed
enough to know that if they build up the manufactures they are establishing the foundation for the
future growth of their village. The president of this
creditable organization is Charles H. Holden, an able
lawyer and an extensive dealer in real estate, and a
man who is aiding very largely in the growth of Reed
The Reed City Hospital and Sanitarium, a branch
established by the Michigan, Wisconsin and Minnesota Hospital Company, was opened in 1884, and is
established on the ticket system. A ticket is issued
for one year and is sold for $5, which entitles the
holder to medical attendance during this period if
sick. They have a large four-story brick building,
centrally located, and constructed with all the modern
improvements. There are no rooms in the establishment, many of them large and elegantly furnished,
and all well fitted up. Bach patient has a separate
room, which is carpeted and contains a complete
chamber set. A large dining hall is on the first floor,
the tables of which are furnished with first-class
table ware and supplied with the best that the
markets afford. Patients that have no tickets are
also admitted, and at reasonable rates. Dr. Norman
Johnson is managing physician, and Dr. H. T. Jones
is the resident physician and surgeon. This hospital
is one of the attractive features of Reed City.
The postoffice was established in Reed City in
1872, and E. Traut received his commission as Postmaster. He held his position until 1877, when he
was succeeded by James N. Crocker, who is the
present incumbent. This is a salaried office. Mails
daily, by the two railroad lines. This office handles
more mail matter than any other in the county.
The people of Reed City have erected for the
education of their children a fine, large two-story
school-building, and secured the services of able and
experienced teachers. This is the school district
No. 7, in Richmond Township. The building cost
$5,500. and has a seating capacity of over 400; yet
it is not large enough to meet the wants of the citizens,
as they have to rent rooms outside. There are 412
pupils on the rolls. A full English course is taught
and the school is thoroughly graded up to eleven
grades. A. B. Perrin is Principal, and is assisted by
Alvira Brown, Maltie Dalzcll, Bertie Yorks, Nettie
Thompson, Orell Brown, Euphrasia Johns and Lily
Clark. The Principal seems to be a man born to instruct the young; if not, he is certainly well adapted
for it, and understands the science of imparting in a
pleasant way the knowledge he possesses to others.
Besides these qualities, he is as much interested in
this large family of children placed under his care for
instruction as though they were his own.
St. Philip's Church, Catholic,—Mission service has
been held here by this Church for about ten years.
In 1880 they completed their church edifice, which
cost S3.000, and is a good, substantial structure. A
station was established in November, 1883, and Rev.
Father M. T. Nyssen was placed in charge. Membership, about 30 families. A parsonage is yet to be
built. Services every other Sunday. Father Nyssen
has charge of the Evait Church, holding service
there every two weeks. The Catholics of Hersey
come to Reed City for worship.
First Congregational Church
This Church was organized Dec. 29, 1872. The members that formed
the first organization were Daniel A. Lathrop, J. N.
Crocker, Mrs. T. Clark, Mrs. Harriet Hart, Mrs.
Loretta A. Smith, Mrs. Sarah J. Franklinberger and
P. F. McClelland. The last mentioned was chosen
Pastor. As this society increased in membership,
the necessity of having a place of their own for worship was felt, and accordingly a movement was made
in this direction, which resulted in the construction
of a fine church edifice, at a cost of $3,000. This
was dedicated Jan. 26, 1879, by Rev. Wallcot B.
Williams. Present membership is 75, with Rev.
George L. Bench as Pastor. This society has a very
neat church, and is in a thriving condition.
Methodist Episcopal Church
In 1878 this was in a circuit embracing Reed City and Crapo, with Rev.
J. Turner as Pastor. Services were held in the Baptist church. Mr. Turner was succeeded in 1879 by
Rev. J. B. Knott. In 1880 Mr. Knott was succeeded
by Rev. W. H. Thompson, and during his administration the foundation of the church was laid. In
1881, Rev. J. W. Hallenbeck was appointed to take
charge, who in 1883 was succeeded by J. W. H.
Carlisle, under whom the church edifice was carried
to its present stage. The next pastor to preside over
this congregation was Rev. G. Daniels, the present
worthy incumbent. The membership now numbers
125, and is increasing. The cost of the building so
far is $7,000. When completed, which is only to
finish up the towers and some minor details, it will
cost $8,000. It is a fine edifice, built of brick, and
constructed with architectural beauty. It is the
finest church building in the county. A large and
interesting Sabbath-school is attached Church.
The Baptist Church was organized in 1872. M.
O. Green and wife, George Haycock and wife, Wm.
Johnson and wife, Mrs. N, Clark, Mary, Emma and
Ela Clark were the first members. The society was
founded by Rev. D. L. Deland, of Saginaw. A
church edifice was erected the same year of the organization of the society, and was the first built in
the village. Later members—H. B. Peck and wife,
Theodore Talbert and wife, S. F. Thomas and wife,
Calvin Thompson and wife, and E. N. Traut and
The first pastor was Rev. Mr. Chapman.- They
first organized as a "Church and Society." In 1881
they organized under the new statutory law, as a
Church, dropping the " Society." Previous to and
after the change. Rev. O. S. Wolfe was Pastor. Rev.
Wm. P. Squiers is the Pastor now in charge of the
Church, which has a membership of 65. Cost of
church building was $1,500.
The Evangelical Lutheran Association
Was established in 1878, with 40 members. They have a
church building under construction which, when
completed, will cost $1,600; lot and property, about
$3,000. The present Pastor is Rev. B. Merg. It
belongs to the "Synod of Michigan." This church
has two schools.—one in the village with about 45
pupils, and is a parochial school, with the other
branches, together with the English. The other
school is in the country four miles, and has 35 pupils.
Evangelical Lutheran, Synod of Missouri (Unaltered Confession of Augsburg). This society was
organized in July, 1867, by the Rev. John Karrer.
A church building was erected in 1881. Membership, 55 voters. Cost of building and property,
$1,500. Rev. H. Juengel is the present Pastor.
The Evangelical Association was established in
1879, with about 30 members. This society is completing a church which will cost about $3,000, with
the parsonage included. The church building was
dedicated Nov. 28, 1884. Service every two weeks
by Rev. E. Weiss, of Hersey. Present membership,
80, with an interesting Sabbath-school.
Reed City, with all the advantages, would not have
progressed very rapidly without the aid of the newspaper. The people were cognizant of this fact and
have had one of these potent auxiliaries to the development of a new country with them from the
organization of the village, and this is the Reed City
Clarion, which was established in the spring of 1872,
by C. K. Fairchilds. From that date it passed
through several hands and was finally purchased by
L. A. Barker, who is the present editor and proprietor. It is now a nine-column folio paper, published weekly, with a circulation of about 1,100. Mr.
Barker has lately added a new power press, at a cost
of $1,000 and otherwise improved the establishment.
This journal is ably conducted, and the editor is
looking carefully after the interests of his patrons,
and especially .those of Reed City This paper is
Republican in politics, and has been so from its
The Union Banner, J. H. Whitney, editor as
proprietor, is a weekly paper, was established
1884, sending forth its first issue March 8. It is
Prohibition paper and has a circulation of about 40
It is a newsy little sheet.
Reed City (Masonic) Lodge, No. 363.—This lodge
was instituted Jan. 21, 1883. Charter members—
L. B. Winter, Willis B. Slosson, Edwin Trump, John
F. Twitchell, H. B. Peck, J. C. Tobias, Simon Vanakin, Calvin Thompson, Lewis J. Johnson, Fred M.
Mason, Robert J. Johnson, James F. Hall, James R.
Youngs, Isaac Peacock, Benjamin F. Reynolds, Jacob
Bush, Charles Corwin, I. M. Thompson, Peter T.
Morris and John Quinn. Present membership, 60.
The lodge has a fine hall and is in good working
Chapter No. 112— Instituted Jan. 16,1884. Charter members—L. B. Winsor, Willis B. Slosson, A. B.
Diggins, John F. Twitchell, John Densmore, Robert
W. Hull, Edwin Trump, Lewis J. Johnson, Arthur B.
Slosson, John F. Quinn, Charles I. Bellany, Jeremiah
A. Tobias, Alonzo M. Shank, James A. Ladd, H.
H. Hammond and Thomas Guilmer. This Chapter
meets in the Blue Lodge hall, is well equipped and
in good working condition.
Grand Army of the Republic, Steadman Post, No.
198,—This lodge was chartered Oct. 30. 1883, with
the following members : C. H. Holden, I. Grant, A.
G. Buck, G. H. Gilbert, P. M. Lonsbury, H. C. Stoddard, N. Clark, J. Q. Patterson, P. W. Vaughn, V.
R. Coles, Louis Barrett, L. D. Webster, A.C. Loomis,
Alfred Brown, J. C. Langdon, Isaac Watkins, C. M.
Ferdon, John Mitchell, C. C. Church, E. A. Cross
and Joseph Frankenberger. This post is equipped
with 32 muskets. It has a good hall and is in a
The I. O. O. F. No. 316 was instituted Aug. 12,
1878, with the following charter members: T. H.
Peacock, T. H. Willson, G. H. Gilbert, J. Q. Patterson, J. F. Radcliffe, R. D. Simon ton and George Mort.
Encampment No. 95.—This lodge was established
March 29,1883. Charter members—T. J. Amspoker,
H. H. Freedraan, G. H. Gilbert and C. E. Barnes.
These lodges are well equipped, have a good hall
and are flourishing.
Patriarchal Circle No. 12 was organized May 12,
1883. Members—J. N. Crocker, H. C. Stoddard, H.
E Buck, Frank H. Nix, T. J. Amspoker, Charles J.
Flinn, M. N. Witherell, J. C. Holden and J. H.
Reed City has been progressive in the establishment of its fire department. It has adopted the
Holly system with the Dean improvement. Connected with this is also the water-works for the
supply of town demands. The works are located on
the banks of the Hersey. Here there is a fine spring
of pure water, with a reservoir into which the spring
water flows for a reserve supply. A pipe is extended
from the pumps to the river for use in case of fire.
Mains (eight-inch) are laid through the principal
streets, with hydrants placed at proper places and
connecting with them. Water is forced direct from
the engine through the different mains, and is so
arranged that all the force, if necessary, can be concentrated at any one given point. There are alarm
stations about the town, with wires connecting with
the engine house. The engine is about 45-horsepower, and is always ready. Cost; about $10,000.
Operating with this system there is an organized
hose department, with three hose companies and one
hook and ladder company, which are organized as
Cataract, No. 1.—Charles Vaughn, Foreman; Jacob Marzoff, Assistant Foreman; F. M. Mason,
Secretary; John Twitchell, Treasurer.
Eclipse, No. 2.—H. K. Smith, Foreman; John
Hamilton, Assistant Foreman ; Burt Trumbull, Secretary, and T. J. Amspoker, Treasurer.
Tempest, No. 4.—Foreman, Miles Callahan ; Assistant Foreman, Sherman John; Secretary and
Treasurer, Will Fleischhauer.
Hook and Ladder, No. 3.—Foreman, W. M. Slosson; Assistant Foreman, F. J. Tracy; Secretary, L.
B. Winsor; Treasurer, N. A. Stoddard.
These companies have 2,000 feet of hose to operate with in case of fire.
H. C. Stoddard is Chief of the Fire Department;
T. J. Amspoker is Assistant Chief; L. B. Winsor is
Secretary, and Charles Wolf, Treasurer.