Tustin, MI (Street Scene) (1910) - Contributed by Paul Petosky
This village is located on the line of the
Grand Rapids & Indiana Railway, in the
eastern part of Burdell Township. It was
laid out upon the advent of this railroad, the
first train of which gave a happy New Year's
greeting to the pioneers January i, 1872. Its
site is on rolling ground, which affords the residents
some very fine locations for dwellings. W. J. Townsend was the enterprising man first to locate here,
who after settling had energy enough to cut the first
tree. In the spring of 1872, a general store was
opened by Daniel McGovern. About this period
the Swedish colony of New Bleking located in and
around here, with headquarters at the village. The
railroad company, to encourage Swedish immigration, gave the colony 40 acres of land here for
church and school purposes, and for building lots.
There were in this colony some 80 families, numbering in all about 300 persons.
In the spring of 1875, Mr. Townsend erected and
opened the first hotel, which was called the Tustin
House. This building is still used as a hotel.
In 1880, the first Fourth-of-July celebration was
held. A gentleman from Chicago delivered the
oration, which is reported to have been very eloquent and patriotic. A liberty-pole was raised, games
of various kinds were indulged in, and a grand old
time was had.
Tustin has a population of about 350, and is a
thrifty, growing town, sustained principally by the
Belsher & McGowan and Truman A. Stephens,
have two good saw-mills in the place, which were
started in 1883.
Sawyer & Knox are manufacturing bowls.
Gideon A. Estes is one of the old merchants, and has a large stock of general merchandise, with a thriving business.
Kennedy & Sons are manufacturers and dealers
in flour, feed and grain.
George W. Bevins, who is one of the old settlers,
has an extensive line of general merchandise.
Stokes & Co. deal in groceries, provisions, dry
goods, drugs and medicines.
D. S. Liddle is agent for Ransom & Giles, of Detroit, in general merchandise.
A. J. Thompson has a full line of drugs and medicines, and is also a practicing physician.
J. W. Ransom has drugs and medicines.
F. J. Luick deals in confectionery, fruits, tobacco
L. B. Stephens has a real-estate office, and is also
a Justice of the Peace.
Stark Layman looks after the surveying interests.
S. S. Stephens has a billiard hall, and keeps "soft
P. L. Compton and J. T. Willner carry on the
Maxwell & Moore have a wagon and blacksmith
G. S. Deal does blacksmithing.
O. L. Knox handles groceries and provisions.
Charles Johnson keeps a restaurant, and A. J.
Anderson wines and liquors.
The Commercial House is conducted by S. C.
Jones, proprietor. He has recently purchased this
house, and when completed will be one of the largest hotels in the county. He is an old pioneer of
this part of the State. In early days he was an extensive trapper, and in this business having of necessity roughed it much, he now knows how to make his guests comfortable and at home.
The Tustin House, kept by J. T. Cavanaugh, is
a good hotel, and the first opened in Tustin. Mr.
Cavanaugh also keeps a meat market.
The postoffice was established here in 1872, with
W. J. Townsend as Postmaster. He was succeeded
by George W. Bevins in 1878, who is still in possession of the office.
Tustin has a flourishing and attractive school,
with 85 scholars. They have a good school building, which cost $1,250. Albert Demory is the present teacher.
The Methodist Episcopal Church was organized in
the spring of 1882, with 16 members, namely: L. D.
Cool and wife, Henry D. Mowers and wife, Daniel
McGovern and wife, Wm. E. Walker and wife, John
E. Mitchell and wife, Mrs. Mary Stokes, A. M.
Demory, Mrs. Alice Letson, Mrs. Jane Edgett and
Mrs. Lucy DuBois. It was organized by Rev. Owen
J. Golden, of LeRoy. This society has no church
building, but hold their meetings in the building
formerly occupied by the Swedish Church. Services are held here every Sabbath by Rev. J.
F. McKinley, of LeRoy. It has a membership at
present of 25.
The Swedish Evangelical Lutheran Church was
organized April is, 1874, with 10 members. Articles of faith are those of the Augsburg Confession,
and accepted by the Scandinavian Augustana Synod,
to which body this society belongs. This was the
first Church organized in Tustin. In 1882, they
erected their new church edifice, which cost $2,500.
At present there are 225 members, having one of the
largest congregations in the county. Rev. John
Forsburg is their Pastor.
Episcopal Church.—This Church was organized
soon after the town was settled, and embraced in its
membership a part of the Swedish colony. Owing
to some misunderstanding, the Swedish portion of
the congregation withdrew and organized a separate
society, known as the Swedish Evangelical Lutheran Church, and erected for themselves a new
church building. This action reduced the membership of the Episcopal Church to a very few. The
society, however, still holds together, and is occasionally served by Bishop Gillespie, of Grand Rapids.
The Tustin Echo is a six-column folio paper, published and edited by Frank J. Luick. The Echo is
a very neat, newsy sheet. The editor says there is
nothing miraculous about his paper further than that
"it has come to stay." It first presented itself to the
reading public Dec. 18, 1884. The office was formerly the plant of the Advance, which was established in 1878. It existed until Oct. 1, 1884, when
its light was withdrawn from the world. Another
paper was published in the office, called the Herald.
It had a brief life and then its flickering light went
out, to be rekindled by the Echo. The Echo will be
independent in politics, enterprising, and faithful to
its patrons. We bespeak for it a successful future.
Col. Stewart Lodge, No, 285, Grand Army of the
Republic was instituted Oct. 8, 1884. Charter members—A. Corwin, Daniel McGovern, Stark Lampman,
S. N. Barron, M. B. Houghton, G. F. Naygle, Joseph
G. Fenner, H. B. Chapman, John Byers, John Grove,
John Mitchell, G. C. Taylor, Frank Allen, William
Degart, Frank Edgett, Jerome Morgan, Charles Winchell and C. A. Bolin. The lodge has at present 20
members, with the following officers: Commander,
M. B. Houghton; Senior Vice Commander, Stark
Lampman; Junior Vice Commander, George Naygle; Quartermaster, John Grave; Adjutant, Areteus Cannon; Chaplin, Daniel McGovern; Officer
of the Day, H. B. Chapman. This lodge has a good
hall and is in good working order.
Odd Fellows, No. 372, was instituted in October,
1882. Charter members—Oliver Platts, A. M. Demory, Stark Lampman, Davis Collins, Wm. Laughrae, James H. Anderson, Joseph H. George, A. J.
Morgan, Israel Sherman, S. B. Root, Wm. Gage and
W. J. Townsend. The lodge is in a flourishing condition and has now 38 members, with a good, well
equipped hall. Officers—N. G., W. J. Townsend;
Recording Secretary, D. R. Marvin; Treasurer, A. J. Thompson.
Rebecca Lodge, Florence, No. 64, was chartered
April 6, 1883. Members—Oliver Platts, D. F. Collins, Stark Lampman, David Kennedy, A. J. Thompson, Wm. Byers, S. D. Cool, H. A. Morgan,
George Hawkins, J. H. Anderson, George Clark,
Henry Hoover and George W. Davis. Sisters
—Mary R, Collins, Nellie Kennedy, Eunice B.
Thompson, Alta Hoover, Maria George, Mary A.
Townsend, Mary Byers, Lucy B. Cool, Jane Morgan,
Mary M. Somers, Sarah L. Anderson and Elma
Clark. Officers—Mrs. A. W. Somers, N. G.; Mrs.
K. Anderson, Secretary; and Mrs. M. A. Townsend,
The lodge of United Workmen was instituted
March 11, 1881. Charter members—Francis Smith,
Daniel McGovern, W. J. Townsend. W. E. Walker,
A. L. Cool, D. T. Jaques, Daniel Buse, H. D. Mauer, J. E. Graves and Oran Hewit. Present
membership, 28. Officers—Master, M. W. Perry
Secretary, S. B. Root; Treasurer, A. J. Thompson
Chaplain, Daniel McGovern.
Portrait & Biographical 1884