Evart is in the southern tier of townships,
and is numbered 17 north, of range 8 west,
with Osceola on the north, Orient on the
east, and Mecosta County on the south, and
Hersey Township on the west. The meeting
for the organization of the township was held in
the school-house April 5, 1870, under an order made
by the Board of Supervisors. The Inspectors appointed were J. B. Smith, John Hoover and
Stoel J. Tyler. The 26 votes that were polled elected William Bennett Supervisor,
William C. McMullen Clerk,
and John Smith Treasurer: S. J. Tyler, T. T. Beneway and John H. McMulIen, Highway
Commissioners; O. R. Winsor and Stoel J. Tyler, School Inspectors; J. H. Smith, Aaron Winsor, John Smith and
Thomas Bennett, Justices of the Peace; John Brecknor, F. C. Yorks, E. H. Minier, Jeremiah Means and
Thomas Bennett, Constables.
Evart has four whole school districts and one
fractional, namely. No. 3, which is in Evart village.
The school building in District No. 3 is located on
section 14, and cost $700; number of pupils on the
list, 44, and district No. 2 the school-house is located
on section 19, and cost $800; number of pupils, 25.
District No. 4 has the school-house on section 27,
and cost $200; number of pupils on the rolls, 23. In
District No. 5, the school-house is located on section
15, and cost $700; number of pupils on the list is 21.
The Flint & Pere Marquette Railroad passes
through the upper portion of Evart Township, coming in at the
line of the northeast corner, deflecting
northward into Osceola and then southward to
Evart, and passing south to the west between sections 6 and 7, Muskegon River;
crossing south, it
enters the township at Evart, and passing through
the northwest part goes out about the middle of section 7.
Big Stone Creek, with its branches, head in this
township and empty into the Muskegon. Upper
and lower Big Lakes, Taft, Wright and Saddle
Lakes, with numerous little streams, give a liberal
supply of water, and afford ample facilities for drainage.
Portions of the township are quite rolling, and
others Hat. The soil is clay loam, and sandy, with a
clay sub-soil. There are some 70 farms, with about
2,500 acres improved. Wheat does very well in the
township, the yield being estimated last year at
about 5,000 bushels; but hay and potatoes are regarded as the best crop. In agricultural products
it rates the sixth.
The trading point for the inhabitants is Evart, and
to this place they go for their mails.
As to the early settlers, and where they located,
we first mention Edward Manes, who came to the
township in 1865, and located on section 23. J. B.
Smith located on section 22 in 1866; John Smith on
section 2 in 1867. Philander Peck and John Hoover
took up homes in 1867, on section 14. Frank Evart
and Wm. C. McMullen located on section 23 in
1867, and Jeremiah Manes on section 22, in 1867.
During their pioneer life they obtained their supplies from Big Rapids, and sometimes from the
Other incidents connected with this township will
be found in the history of Evart village.
About one mile below the village of Evart, J.
Rowley, Jr., has a boom siding with a mill, where he
manufactures lumber, shingles, and clapboards,
Evart Township has a population of some 1.200,
which has been represented by the Supervisors
Wm. Bennett, 1870-3
Win. C. McMullen, 1874-5
Robert Sherman, 1876
Wm. C. McMullen, 1877
M. L. Stephens, 1878
F. E. McDougall, 1879
Wm. C. McMulen, 1880
M.L. Stephens, 1881-2
Francis York, 1883
W. H. Styker, 1884