Genealogy Trails History Group
Saginaw County Michigan Genealogy Trails History Group

Volunteers Dedicated to Free Genealogy
Submit Data Submit Obituary Michigan Genealogy Trails  Genealogy Trails Join The Mailing List 
 
County Data 
Biographies
Birth Index
Birth Notices
Books
Burial Index
Cemeteries
Census Data
Churches
County History
Crime News
Death Index
Directories
Disasters
Divorce Index
Early Businesses
FAQ's
Historical Landmarks
Libraries
Maps
Marriage Index
Marriage Notices
Military
Mortality Schedules
Museums
News/Brevities
Newspapers
Obituaries
Photographs
Pioneers
Postal History
Postcards
Query Board
Research Help
Schools (History & Census)
Societies
Stories
Tax Lists
Towns



View the latest updates


 Saginaw County, Michigan
Postal History


Saginaw Post Office

The Saginaw Post Office was designed by William Martin Aiken, Supervising Architect for the U. S. Treasury Department. Construction started on the Saginaw Post Office on May 11, 1897 and dedication ceremonies took place on July 4, 1898. In the 1930s, the post office was becoming too small and a movement was started to get the post office out and into another building. An uproar arose because no one wanted their beloved castle to be torn down. The building was remodeled by local architect Carl Macomber, who enlarged the building, tore down one of the three turrets, and added a large sorting room on the back of the building (by Hoyt Library). In the 1970s, a new post office was built and the building was almost demolished once again, but local citizens and the Saginaw County Board of Commissioners took steps to list the building on the National Register of Historic Places to ensure the preservation of the building and the local heritage it represents. It was added on the NRHP on January 13, 1972. It is currently the home of the Historical Society of Saginaw County and officially known as the Castle Museum of Saginaw County History. History of the Saginaw Post Office.
It was originally established as EAST SAGINAW on September 15, 1851 with Alfred M. Hoyt as its first postmaster.

Name changed to SAGINAW EAST SIDE on March 17, 1892 with Edwin R. Phinney as postmaster.

Name changed to SAGINAW on June 24, 1898 with William S. Linton as postmaster.

Located in Saginaw County - the Saginaw Post Office uses zip code 48605.
Postmarks of the Past By Paul Petosky

Photo at right - Post office at Saginaw, ca 1918.





Copyright © Genealogy Trails 2006 -
All rights reserved for original submitters.