In 1854 this township was set off from Forester,
and for some time comprised Custer and Marion. It is town 12 north,
range 15 east. Its neighbors are Sanilac and Forester on the east,
Marion on the north, Custer on the west and Washington on the south.
Bridgehampton's first settler was Theodore Laurel, who came in the
spring of 1853. The next settlers, in about the order named, were James
Aldred, Orange Baker, E. M. Miller, Wm. Ellenthorp, John Graham, Joseph
Stephens, Charles Wood, James Lane, John Tucker.
A barn was built
by James Lane in 1858, which was the first frame building in the
township. Orange Baker donated land for school purposes, on section 12
in 1855, and a school-house was built that year, which was the first.
William Galloway built the first mill in the township, on section 6,
in 1863. It was a shingle mill. The first store was built in what is now
Downington, in 1861. In 1881, John Pace started a store at Wilber
Station, and he was also appointed Postmaster at this time.
first Church organization was the Methodist Episcopal, who organized
1855, holding their meetings in school-houses. This was done for 20
years, or until 1875, when a movement was instituted to build a union
church, to be supported by all orthodox people. The ground was donated
by Mrs. Mary Moore, on section 2. The deed was made out specifying that
it was a union church, but before this deed was made out specifying that
it was a union church, but before this deed was recorded the Methodists
secured another deed, which wasd first recorded and took precedence
against the other denominations. This is what some of them call
stealing a church. Another church was built on section 14, in 1881.
Carsonville, Michigan - 1914.
Contributed by Paul Petosky
In July, 1864, the first store in Carsonville
was built by Arthur Carson, and is the hotel now kept by John Connors.
The next store was built in 1868, by U. Raymond & Co., who sold to Wm.
Thomson in 1874. He kept it until 1882, when it was purchased by C. M.
Old field and run as a branch store of general merchandise, in
connection with his Port Sanilac store. In 1872, Arthur Carson built a
large store and kept a large stock of general merchandise until 1882,
when it was closed and is now vacant.
The Exchange Hotel was
built by John Farley, in 1880, when Preston & Cummings bought it and now
keep a general merchandise store. About the same time Wm. Bowin built a
small store and now keeps a few notions.
The other stores are:
Dr. J. W. Smith's drug store, established in 1851
J. A. Hosmer,
John Farley, general store, 1883
cheese-factory was built by a stock company in 1883, at a cost of
$2,200; capacity fire tons daily.
The Methodists organized
themselves into a class in 1874, and now, in 1884, are building a
church, which is the first in the village. The school-house for the
village is half a mile east.
In 1880 Wiliam Thomson built a large
elevator, and Arthur Carson's elevator was erected about the same time.
William Sweet 1867
James Reid 1875-77
David Crorey 1878
John H. Kinney
James Reid 1881-82
Portrait & Biographical Sanilac, MI 1884