Schoolcraft County
City of Manistique
Courthouse History and Photos
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Schoolcraft County Courthouse circa 1916 - Photo contributed by Paul Petosky
 
 
 
Schoolcraft County Courthouse circa 1921 - Photo Contributed by Paul Petosky


Manistique, MI (Court House, Oak Street) (1910)
 
 
 
 
 
   Manistique's first Courthouse was built on Water Street in close proximity to the Chicago Lumber Company office.  In 1879 the County seat was moved to Manistique after the fire which destroyed the town of Onota in what later would become Alger County.  In 1881 the Chicago Lumber company donated an entire block to the City of Manistique to build a new jail and courthouse.
 
    Manistique's second Courthouse was built on the present courthouse square in 1883 but was destroyed by fire in March, 1901.
 
    Manistique's third Courthouse (pictured above) was built in 1902-- but it too was lost to fire in 1974.