Schoolcraft County
Manistique
Early History as
Monistique/Epsport
 
 
 
 
 
 
    
 
Water Street in Manistique Circa 1910 - Photo contributed by Paul Petosky
In the 1870's both the Courthouse and the Chicago Lumber Co. Store were located on Water Street
 
 
Source:  Michigan State Gazetter and Business Directory 1873 by Charles F. Clark, Henry H. Chapin and James Edmond Scrips.  R. L. Polk and Co. Page 461
 
Monistique
    A place of 200 inhabitants in the southern part of Schoolcraft County.  It is at or near the mouth of the Monistique River and is the seat of lumbering operations of the Chicago Lumber Co., who are the proprietors of the village.  There has been settlement here since 1848.
 
 
 
Monistique Business Directory - 1873
 
 Chicago Lumber Co.  Abijah Weston, President.  P.O. address, Painted Post, N.Y.
 E. B. Dean, Agent
 

 
Postmasters for Monistique
Contributed by Paul Petosky
 
John H. Whitbeck.........June 15, 1865 (date of establishment)
D. P. Abercrombie.........May 24 1867 to August 20, 1869 (discontinued date)
 
 
 
 
 
Source:  Michigan State Gazetter and Business Directory 1875 by R. L. Polk, Page 344
 
EPSPORT
 
    A lumber village in Schoolcraft County at the mouth of the Monistique river formerly known as Monistique.  There are perhaps 200 inhabitants here.  It is on no regular mail route.
 

 
Source:  Michigan State Gazetter and Business Directory 1877 by R. L. Polk, Page 401
 
EPSPORT
 
    A village of 500 population at the mouth of the Monistique river in the southern part of Schoolcraft County.  It is 48 miles southeast of Onota, the county seat, and 75 miles northeast of Escanaba, its shipping point by railroad.  A stage runs to Fayette 25 miles southwest semi-weekly, carrying the mail.  Lumbering is the only industry.  It is also known as Monistique.  W. M. Colwell, Postmaster.
 
 
Epsport Business Directory - 1877
 
 Brown, Edward C.  Teacher
 Chicago Lumber Co.  Lumber Manufacturers
 Colwell, W. M.  Manager, C.L. Co. Sawmill
 R. N. DeBeque  Boarding House
 James & Ruggles
 [Ebenezer James and Constant M. Ruggles]
 Lumber Manufacturers
 McCrea, P.A.  Physician
 Pence, J. S.  Fur Dealer
 Quick, M. H.  Justice of the Peace
 
 
 
Postmasters for Epsport
Contributed by Paul Petosky
 
William M. Cowell........March 17, 1873 (date of establishment)
(Name changed to MANISTIQUE on January 27, 1879)
 
+William M. Cowell was still postmaster during the changeover+
 
He was succeeded by Ozro A. Bowen on March 27, 1884