Source: Memorial Record of the Northern Peninsula of Michigan; Chicago; Lewis Publishing Company, 1895, p. 172 - 173
FRANK CLARK, one of the progressive business men of Manistique, Schoolcraft county, where he is at the head of the popular grocery firm of Frank Clark & Company, was born in Marathon county, Wisconsin, in August, 1857, son of Frank and Johanna (Shaughnessy) Clark, the former of whom is a native of the State of New York and the latter of the Emerald Isle. The father removed to Wisconsin at an early day and was there engaged in the lumbering business for a number of years. He is now retired from active business pursuits and retains his residence at Stevens Point, Wisconsin. He and his wife became the parents of four children, namely: Frank, Maggie, Thomas and Mary.
Our subject received his education in the public schools of his native county, and at the age of about twenty years he embarked in the mercantile business at Stevens Point, Wisconsin, continuing the enterprise successfully about three years. He then made a prospecting trip through the West, visiting Washington and California with a view to making an ultimate location and engaging in business. He, however, found that the advantages offered in that section had been overestimated, and as he was unable to find a location which be felt would justify him in the investment of his capital in the mercantile line, he returned to Wisconsin in the fall of 1883, and in the following spring he came to Manistique, Michigan, and here opened a grocery, flour and feed store. The enterprise met with favorable reception by reason of the correct business methods of Mr. Clark and his fidelity to the interests of his patrons, and the establishment has been continuously in operation since that date and is one of the leading mercantile houses of the city, retaining a large and representative patronage. Particular care is given to the keeping of a select and comprehensive stock in both staple and fancy lines, and the salesrooms are attractive and convenient. In the fall of 1894 Mr. Clark erected a fine brick double-store building, 50 X95 feet in dimensions, and this building is now devoted to the accommodation of the extensive grocery business. The success which has attended the efforts of Mr. Clark is but the consecutive result of his discrimination as a man of business and of his constant attention to the details of the same.
Upon the incorporation of the village Mr. Clark was elected one of its Trustees, and while he manifests a consistent interest in the progress of the town and in the welfare of the local public he has never found time, nor has he had inclination, to take part in political affairs or to put himself forward as an aspirant for political office. His earnest endeavors in insuring the substantial advancement of Manistique is shown in the fact that he is conspicuously interested in the Riverside addition to the town, as well as in the McCanna, Clark and Carey addilions, each of which comprises forty acres, with considerable improvement in the way of streets, sidewalks, etc. He is also interested in acreage property contiguous to these additions.