Source: Memorial Record of the Northern Peninsula of Michigan; Chicago; Lewis Publishing Company, 1895, p. 173-174
GEORGE CHANTLER, one of the progressive and representative business men of Manistique, Schoolcraft county, where he is engaged in the drug business, is a native of the Dominion of Canada, having been born near
the city of Toronto, Ontario, on the eleventh of June, 1849, the son of Charles and Catharine McMillan Chantler, the former of whom was a native of England and the latter of Canada. The father is of English Quaker stock and came to Canada in his youth. During the greater portion of his mature life he was engaged in the milling business, but he is now living in retirement, having abandoned his active business career fifteen years ago. The mother of our subject was called to the life eternal January 28, 1895, at the advanced age of seventy-five years. Charles and Catharine Chantler removed from Canada to the State of New York in an early day, and thence to Wayne county, Michigan, where they remained for a time, after which they proceeded to Grand Traverse county, same State, where the father still maintains his residence. They were the parents of two sons and six daughters, our subject being second in the order of birth.
George Chantler has passed the greater portion of his life in the State of Michigan, where his parents took up their abode while he was a boy. His educational discipline was received in the schools of Traverse City, where he completed the high-school course and graduated with honor. After leaving school he remained home for two or three years and then identified himself with the drug business by engaging with a firm at Traverse City in a clerical capacity. This incumbency he retained until 1878, going thence to Ludington, Michigan, where he conducted a general mercantile business. His next move was to Ionia, same State, where he remained for two years, coming thence, in the fall of 1882, to Manistique, where he entered the employ of the Chicago Lumbering Company, retaining this position for three years. In 1885 he opened a grocery store and within the succeeding year broadened the range of his business enterprise by adding a line of drugs. In 1887 he separated the two departments by removing the drug stock into his present quarters, continuing the grocery as a partnership enterprise until October, 1894, when he disposed of this interest to the gentleman who had been therein associated with him. Mr. Chantler now has one of the finest drug stocks and one of the best-appointed drug establishments in the Upper Peninsula, carrying also a very select line of jewelry and musical instruments.
Politically our subject is a stanch Republican, and he has served as a member of the village Council and as Town Clerk, being recognized as one of the reliable and most enterprising citizens of the place. Fraternally he is identified with the Masonic order.
In 1888 Mr. Chantler was united in wedlock to Miss Ida M. Griffin, a native of Michigan, and they are the parents of four children,—Harry, Herbert, Lawrence and Avis L. Mr. and Mrs. Chantler are active members of the Baptist Church.