Schoolcraft County
Manistique, Michigan
Goodwillie Brothers Box Factory
 
 
 
 
 
Manistique Box Factory workers (circa 1910) - Photo contributed by Paul Petosky
 
 
Source:  The Evening News, Sault Ste. Marie, September 24, 1907
 
Immediate Possession
Goodwillie Brothers Plan Estensive
Improvements
 
    [Manistique]  An interview with Frank Ledstrand, manager for the Goodwillie people here, shows that the firm is planning extensive improvement to the property they have acquired at this point and which will necessitate a large amount of money.  The plant when completed will have approximately triple the capacity of the present one-- over six cars a day and will employ in the neighborhood of one hundred and fifty men.  The installment of the plant will begin immediately.  A new four hundred horse Carliss engine will take the place of the one used at present.  The large barn 34 by 112 recently purchased from the W. L. Co., [Weston Lumber Co.] will be moved to a position to the north of the present site and after being remodeled will be used as a planing mill operated in connection with the present mill by a line shaft in the basement.  This enterprise will naturally have a wide influence in encouraging farmers throughout this and neighboring counties to clear up their farms as the factory will largely use lower grades of timber, poplar, spruce, balsam and will pay a good price for same.  Mr. Peterson, engineer for the Soo Line, recently located new tracks for the Soo and M. M. and N. and work of construction will start soon.
 
 
Source:  The Evening News, Sault Ste. Marie, April 2, 1908, page 5
 
More Track to be Laid Out
 
    [Manistique]  During the past two days, civil engineer Peterson for the Soo Line has been surveying the yards of the Goodwillie Brothers and two spurs are to laid from the main line into the yards.  The box factory of the Goodwillie Brothers is expected to start running in the early part of next month.
 
 
    
   
The Goodwillie Brothers Box Factory was founded in 1907 on the west side of the Manistique River.  The company manufactured custom wooden boxes and crates.  The factory remained in business from 1907 until 1920 when it was completely destroyed by Manistique's great flood of that same year.  Loss due to the flood was estimated at $120,000.  The plant was never rebuilt.
 
   
The Goodwillie Brothers Box Factory was founded in 1907 on the west side of the Manistique River.  The company manufactured custom wooden boxes and crates.  The factory remained in business from 1907 until 1920 when it was completely destroyed by Manistique's great flood of that same year.  Loss due to the flood was estimated at $120,000.  The plant was never rebuilt.
 
 
 
Manistique, MI (Goodwillie Box Factory during Flood of 1920s)- Photo contributed by Paul Petosky