Inland Lime and Stone Company
Inland Lime and Stone Company circa 1940s - Photo Contributed by Paul Petosky
Source: Manistique Centennial Book, 1960
" In 1928, the Manistique area received another industrial boost when Inland Steel Co. of Chicago began explorations and preliminary engineering for a limestone quarry and purchased the White Marble Lime Co. The firm built a railroad and harbor near Huntspur in 1929 and in 1930 the plant was built. The first car was dumped from the crusher on Oct. 6, 1930 and the first shipment of high quality limestone was made on the steamer Joseph Block, November 14, 1930.
Annual production has risen from one million tons in 1931 to over four million tons at present. The firm produces limestone for steelmaking, which accounts for over two-thirds of its production, and stone for aggregate, lime burning, cement, papermills and agricultural limestone. The limestone is exceptionally pure, having an analysis of between 97 and 98 percent calcium carbonate.
The company, which this year added a sinter sand plant to provide finer stone for use in clinker-type steel furnace charging and in utilization of low grade ores, employs an average of 400 men. It loads 50 to 60 boats monthly in the navigational season, thus linking the area with Great Lakes vessel transportation and steel trends. A. W. Heitman is president of Inland Lime and Stone Co., a subsidiary of Inland Steel, under board chairmanship of Joseph L. Block. The limestone firm, with main office quarters in Manistique, is one of the largest in the nation.
Clarence B. Randall, then an assistant vice president of Inland Steel and later chairman of the board, was primarily responsible for the limestone development. First officials of the firm were A.J. Cayia, Sr., general superintendent, and A. W. Heitman, who completed exploration and preliminary engineering."