Schoolcraft County
Historic Manistique Businesses
From the Lumbering Era
 
 
 
 
 
 
The Manistique Bank  (circa 1910) - Photo contributed by Paul Petosky
    
 
      The Manistique Bank was organized in May of 1889 and remained in business until the Great Depression of the 1930s.  The officers and stock holders were all associated with the Chicago Lumbering Company.  Officers in 1907 included:  George H. Orr, President; Martin H. Quick, Vice President; M.W. Orr, Cashier and E.H. Jewell, Assistant Cashier.
 
 
 
 
A. S. Putnam & Co. Drug Store Circa 1906 - Photo contributed by Paul Petosky
 
 
    Following Arthur S. Putnam's arrival in Manistique in the early 1880s, he purchased a part interest in the Bowen and Thompson Drug Store.  This business was located at the corner of Cedar  and Walnut Streets.  The original structure was totally destroyed in Manistique's great fire of 1893. Prior to the fire,  Putnam had become the sole owner of the business.  He rebuilt the store at the same location and called it the A. S. Putnam & Co. Drug Store.  The company remained in operation for the greater part of the 20th century.
 
 
 
 
The Ossawinamakee Hotel circa 1940s - Photo contributed by Paul Petosky
 
 
    Manistique was home to one of the finest and best known hotels in all of Northern and Upper Michigan.  The Ossawinamakee Hotel was named after the  chief of the Chippewa tribe near Manistique.  The hotel began welcoming guests in 1883.  The four-story structure was built by the Chicago Lumbering Company which owned it for many years.  Constant M. Ruggles and R.P. Foley were the proprietors in the 1880s and 90s.  A boardwalk was constructed from the harbor to the hotel for the convenience of its many wealthy and famous guests.
 
    The hotel was acquired by the Consolidated Lumber Company in 1912 and was sold in 1915 to Lewis Mallette.  The Ossawinamakee was in operation from 1883 to the late 1950s.  It was razed in 1960.
 
 
Another view of the Ossawinamakee circa 1940's - Contributed by Paul Petosky