Schoolcraft County
City of Manistique
Post Office Photos & History
 
 
 
Manistique Michigan Postmasters
Contributed by Paul Petosky
 
   The Postal name was changed from Epsport to Manistique on January 27, 1879 with William M. Cowell continuing as Postmaster.
 
Ozro A. Bowen ..............March 27, 1884
William H. Hill...........September 30, 1884
Leon Ephraim.............August 6, 1887
William H. Hill............October 29, 1889
Arthur S. Putnam........February 21, 1894
Elmer N. Orr............... February 25, 1898
Charles R. Mersereau....April 10, 1902
William F. Crane..........February 12, 1906
Frederick J. L. Carroll.....March 3, 1914
Fred R. Griffin...............March 3, 1923
Arthur O. Drevdahl.......January 7, 1932
Frank M. Gierke, Sr......February 11, 1937
Sagwald A. Carlson........July 31, 1960
John W. Kelly..................September 22, 1961
Lawrence E. Carlson.......September 30, 1974
Charles H. Lundmark.....January 2, 1975
Alan E. Richter................March 1, 1975
Russell A. Hansen............April 8, 1977
Karen L. Robbins.............July 16, 1977
Clarence A. Broemer.......March 11, 1978
Francis J. Ross.................April 3, 1981
Dennis L. Livermore........December 26, 1981
Joanne M. Rohde..............August 12, 1988
Richard W. Giancola........January 14, 1989
Karen A. Livermore..........August 10, 1993
Warren G. Deloria............June 11, 1994
Mary C. Lahti....................September 2, 1994
Linda L. Smith...................January 21, 1995
Amy J. Anderson...............May 18, 2006
Cheryl A. Kamin...............March 5, 2007
Christopher P. Lemke.......August 22, 2007
Amy J. Anderson................October 25, 2007
Stanley G. Allbaugh............April 12, 2008
Amy J. Anderson.................July 7, 2009 to present
 
 
 
 
 
Very early Manistique Postmark dated June 9, 1880
Photo contributed by Paul Petosky
 
 
 
 
 
Early Post Office in Manistique - Contributed by Marilyn Fischer
 
    The Post Office building pictured above stood on the corner of South Cedar Street and Main Street.  It was known as the Sandberg Building and was erected in 1915.  The building was split between Anderson's grocery on the left and the Post Office on the right.  The structure later housed the State Savings Bank.
 
 
 
The present Post Office building in Manistique was built by the WPA.  
The dedication took place on Aug. 30, 1940.
Photo contributed by Paul Petosky
 
 
 
Postmark dated August 30, 1940 commemorating the Dedication of the new Post Office in Manistique
Photo contributed by Paul Petosky
 
 
 
WPA  mural in the lobby of the Post Office in Manistique.  The oil on canvas
painting entitled "Logging" by artist David Fredenthal, was installed on August 18, 1941.
 
Photo contributed by Paul Petosky
 
 
 
 
 
Dog sled mail delivery in Schoolcraft County circa 1912 - Photo contributed by Paul Petosky