Schoolcraft County Michigan
Civil War Veteran
The following obituarties were taken from the Schoolraft County Pioneer, the Manistique Semi-Weekly Pioneer, the Manistique Tri-Weekly Pioneer,  the Manistique Pioneer Tribune and the Manistique Courier.  Many of the obituaries were obtained from the collection of Alex Meron, and were contributed and transcribed by Larry Peterson.

J.P. ARROWOOD DEAD (11/21/1902)   He Died Very Suddenly Last Saturday Evening, at the Home of His Son, East of the City. A VETERAN OF THE REBELLION And Had Been a Resident of Manistique for Many Years
Mr. J. P. Arrowood, an old And respected citizen of Manistique died at the farm home of his son J. M. Arrowood, twelve miles northeast of the city, about 9 o'clock last Saturday evening. The deceased had been ailing for the past three years but he was able to go about. Heart failure was no doubt the cause of death. The deceased was born in Madison county, North Carolina, in 1842 and was therefore sixty-one years of age at the time of death. Shortly after the opening of the Rebellion he was conscripted into the confederate army, but got away, came north and enlisted in the union army being a member of the Second North Carolina Mountain Infantry, serving three years.
He and his family came to Michigan in 1882, settling at Dollarville. The year following they moved to Manistique where they have since resided. Mrs. Arrowood died about six years ago, and seven children mourn the loss of a kind and indulgent father.  They are William S., James W., Joseph N., Robert., Mrs. Geo. Leonard of this city, Mrs. S. C. Hudson of Manistique township and Mrs. William Taylor of Doyle township.
The funeral services were held from the First Baptist church last Tuesday afternoon, Rev. J. B. Fox officiating.  Members of the G. A. R. were the pall bearers.  The deceased was a good citizen, quiet, unobtrusive and honest.

Death of GEORGE  BEALS (10/05/1906)
George Beals, formerly of Thompson, died at Newberry this week and the remains were sent here for interment.  He was a Civil War veteran [70th N. Y.  Infantry, Co. C.] and the remains were buried by the veterans in the local cemetery.

DAVID BLAIR (06/04/1913)  DEATH OF MR. DAVID BLAIR.  He Had a Remarkable Record as a Soldier.  Was Resident of County for Thirty-five Years.
Mr. David Blair of this city, passed away at an early hour on the morning of May 30th, after a week's illness with paralysis. He had been ailing for a long time, and his end was not unexpected.
The deceased was born at Waterloo, Canada, April 10th, 1842.  His parents moved to Michigan when he was a small boy.  They settled near Burchville.  He married Sarah McClure at Huron City, this state, Dec. 24, 1869.   She survives him. The other near relatives are a sister, Mrs. Mary E. Belcher of Mecosta county, and a nephew, Mr. Chas. Blair of this city.
He was a veteran of the Civil war and his record as a soldier is of absorbing interest.  He was a member of the famous Sixth Michigan cavalry, being enrolled in Co. C.  He enlisted at Burchville, Sept. 8, 1862, mustered Oct 11, served through the war, and participated in many of the big battles of the war, and was mustered out at Ft. Leavenworth, Kansas on Nov. 24th, 1865.
His regiment was mustered into the U. S. Service Oct. 11, 1862, with 1229 men and officers.  But four of the officers had seen service and among the officers was the late Russell Alger, who afterward was elected governor of the state.  Before leaving Grand Rapids the regiment was mounted and each troop had horses of one color. The A's had bays; B's brown, C's Grays and D's blacks, etc. This regiment was in the famous cavalry fight on the right of Gettysburg, July 3rd where it opposed Pennington's battery. It followed Custer in all the cavalry engagements which followed in Virginia. It was hotly engaged in the left of Hancock's corps in the Wilderness.  It led the advance on the first day, May 8th, of Sheridan's great raid, when 10,000 cavalry men marched in column of fours, in a single column.  It accompanied Sheridan to the Shenandoah valley.  Its gallantry was conspicuous in' the 'following engage- [SIC] Gap., Brandy Station, Kilpatrick's Raid, the Wilderness, Hawes' Shop, Cold Harbor, Winchester and Cedar Creek. With Sheridan, it did excellent service in the closing campaign of the war, from Winchester to Appomattox.  At the close of the war it marched to Washington, participated in the grand review, and was then ordered to Ft. Leavenworth.  He was a corporal when discharged.
Mr. Blair came to the upper peninsula thirty-four years ago. He was employed by the Thompson Lumber Co. and remained in its employ for many years. He passed through the war unscathed but it was his fate to lose an arm in a sawmill accident at Thompson twenty years ago.  Later he moved to Manistique, and was an invalid the greater portion of his residence here.  He spent his winters at the Soldiers home at Grand Rapids and returned from the home to Manistique the latter part of April.
He was a Mason of many years standing and one of his chief treasures was a minature trowel presented him by a Grand Rapids Mason.
The funeral services were held at the M. E. church Tuesday afternoon at 2:30 o'clock, Rev F. R. Mumby officiating. The Masonic lodge members attended in a body and had charge of the services at the grave. The beautiful ritualistic services of the order, was followed by Acting Worshipful Master, Harrie Thomas. The funeral was largely attended.
It was the desire of Mr. Blair to participate in the Decoration day exercises, and he looked forward with joyful anticipation to the day in question. However, his desire was unfulfilled, as his spirit took flight on the morning of that day. Mrs. Blair has the sympathy of many friends in this, her hour of sorrow.

JEROME BOWEN (02/14/1894)  THE LATE JUDGE J. BOWEN.  A Pen Picture of Deceased's Career as Gleaned From his Relatives--  Buried by C. O, Loomis Post Members of Quincy, Michigan
Jerome Bowen was born in the township of Butler, Branch county, Mich., August 18, 1833, spent his boyhood days on a farm until he was 20 years of age and then taught school winters, attending the college at Hillsdale in spring and fall.  At the breaking out of the rebellion he enlisted as First Lieutenant in Co. B, 11th Michigan regiment, which  was, organized at White Pigeon, Mich., by Col. Stoughton.  He remained in the U. S. service about 18 months; at which time be resigned on account of ill-health and returned to Quincy, this state, where he recuperated health, and then moved to Union City, Mich., where he and Major Easton started the "Union City Register," and was postmaster at that place through General Grant's last term of office.  His health failing him again he went to Hot Springs and remained there nearly a year. Then he went to Colorado, where he associated himself with Mr. McBurn, who was a large contractor on the Denver & Rio Grande R. R.   From Colorado Springs he went through to Durango, Col.; but not recovering his health he was compelled, to seek a different climate and came to Manistique.
He arrived here in the early 80's and at once became indentifed with the interests of the county and society.  For a time be followed gardening as a business and had health permitted he would have made a grand success of it.   In 1884, upon the retirement of the writer from the office of Judge of Probate, he succeeded to that position and was re-elected from time to time until he had held through two and over a year on his third term when he was called hence, by death. During most of that time he was also a Justice of the Peace and Circuit Court Commissioner.  He was always at his place of business and by economically manageing his affairs the salary enabled him to support himself and wife comfortably.  Several years ago he lost the use of his legs and sat from morning until bed time in his "wheeled chair."
The Judge took an active interest in National and state politics and the last time he was enabled to attend a convention was to accompany the writer to the Republican Convention which met at Grand Rapids and placed Cyrus G. Luce in nomination for his first term as Governor. He was a charter member of Geo. F. Fuller Post, G. A. R. and always took an active interest in its welfare. He had been its Commander, and never without, holding some official position. He delivered a powerful discourse at one of the Post-Decoration Day services and on several like occasions read essays that showed that although badly crippled his heart beat true to the government and its emblem of unity—the Stars and Stripes.  For loyalty to this county he leaves a proud record. In early life he married, the fruits of which were a son and a daughter. His son is a clerk in one of the Departments at Washington and his daughter is married and lives near Hillsdale. A few week ago he left here with his wife to visit their daughter and while there the summons to answer the roll call on high came.
The Post here was not notified of his death in time for any of the members to be present at the funeral, but the following from C. O. Loomis Post, No. 2, of Quincy, gives full particulars of the last sad rites:  Quincy, Mich., Feb. 8.  Commander—I am directed by the Commander of C. O. Loomis Post to notify you of the death and burial of Comrade Jerome Bowen, of your Post; and that his request before death was for our Post to perform the last sad rites, which we did to the best of our ability. The services were held in the M. E. Church at Quincy, February 8th. Fraternally Yours, J. S. CLEAVELAND, Ad'jt.  P.S. There was a good turn out of citizens and of the Post. He looked quite natural, indeed.
RESOLUTIONS OF CONDOLENCE.  At a special meeting of George F. Fuller Post 257, G. A. R., Manistique, the following resolution were adopted:   WHEREAS—It has pleased the all wise Father to remove from our midst our old comrade, Judge Jerome Bowen, and that we the members of George F. Fuller Post, G. A. R. have lost a true and faithful comrade, therefore be it Resolved—That our Post room be draped in mourning for the period of thirty days and that we the members of the Post, extend to the widow and family of our deceased comrade our heartfelt sympathy;  RESOLVED—That we hold a union service for our departed comrade, at the Baptist church, on Sunday, Feb. 18th at 2:30 o'clock and it is FURTHER RESOLVED—That we tender our thanks to C. O. Loomis Post, No. 2 of Quincey, Mich., for the kindness shown our comrade at his death.
A. L. HILL, Adj't,

HENRI BRASSEL (07/16/1936) COUNTY'S LAST CIVIL WAR VET DIES MONDAY.  Henri Brassell, 92, Succumbs After Brief Illness At Farm Home.  Served With Sherman's Army And Also In Navy In Civil War.
Henri Brassel, 92, Schoolcraft county's last surviving veteran of the American Civil War passed away at 5 o'clock Monday afternoon, July 13, at the home of his son-in-law and daughter, Mr. and Mrs. Daniel Murphy, on the River Road.  
Death  came  after only three hours of illness and, according to the attending physician, was the result of a heart lesion, old age complications and the extreme hot weather.
Henri Brassel was born September 25, 1843 in St. Margeraten, Switzerland, and came to the United States in 1862. He left Europe on May 15 and made the trip across the Atlantic Ocean on a sailing ship, the journey requiring 56 days. He arrived in New York City on June 9, 1862 with one cent in his pocket and indebted to his brothers to the extent of $75. He remained only a brief time in New York, leaving soon for Chicago where he worked as a blacksmith for two months.
The war between the North and the South was then raging in Virginia and along the Mississippi River. Mr. Brassel could not resist the call to arms and went to General Sherman's headquarters to offer his services to the Union forces. He enlisted in September, 1862, and fought in Sherman's army in the bloody battle of Lookout Mountain. He was later transferred to the United States Navy and was stationed on the U. S. S. Grant Webster.  Later he was transferred again to the U. S. Gunboat No. 38 of the Mississippi Squadron.  He received an honorable discharge from war service on June 13, 1865.
On October 5, 1865. he was united in marriage  to Catherine Wuhlgenant in Dubuique, Iowa. Mr. and Mrs. Brassel came to Manistique from Chicago in 1866 on a sailing vessel, arriving here on April 21. This was over 70 years ago  and Manistique was still a pioneer village in the heart of a vast stretching wilderness of hardwood and pine.
He worked as a blacksmith for the old Chicago Lumbering company for nine years, and then went into the butcher business for a short time. After going out of the meat business, He moved to a farm east of the city.
Mr. and Mrs. Brassel were the parents of seven children, three of whom survive. A daughter, Mrs. Charles Wurster, who died in [unreadable], is beleived to have been the first white child born in Manistique. He is survived by his daughters, Mrs. Dan Murphy of the River Road, Mrs. A. I. Burton of Manistique, and one son, Joseph Brassel of Lucky Shot, Alaska.  Eighteen grandchildren and seven great grandchildren also survive.
A Military funeral with the local Legion Post in charge, was held Wednesday from the Memorial Cottage here.  Rev. H. R. Sherman, [unreadable] conducted the last rites.  Pallbearers were Sabastian Weber, A. C. Drevdahl, George Dupont[?], Dr. A. Tucker, Louis Mueller and Ernest Smith.  The flag-draped casket was carried to Lakeview Cemetery where burial was made with an honorary guard of the colors, firing squad and buglers.

PORTUS H. BROWN (3-21-1929)  CIVIL WAR VETERAN DIES IN MILWAUKEE.  Portis [sic] H. Brown, 87, Passed Away At Soldiers' Home On Wednesday.
    One of Schoolcraft county's few remaining veterans of the Civil War was taken away Wednesday, when Portis H. Brown died at the Soldiers' Home in Milwaukee.  Word of the death was received here by his son, Clio Brown, who resides at the Tannery location on the East road.  Mr. Brown, who was 87 years old, had been in ill health for some time, suffering from the complications surrounding advanced years.  He was a resident of this city for many years, leaving here only last November to enter the Soldiers' Home.  His son was called to Milwaukee last week by the serious illness of his father but returned on Friday after the latter had seemed to have taken a turn for the better.
    Readers of the Pioneer-Tribune will no doubt recall reading a lengthy article in this paper last summer which told of the war record of Mr. Brown.
    It is expected that the body will reach here on Friday and plans are being made for the funeral to be held on Saturday afternoon at two o'clock.  The services will be under the auspices of the American Legion.
[Portus H. Brown served as a Sergeant in Co. B., 5th N.H. Infantry]

SAMUEL WATT BROWN (10/05/1906)  Death of an Old Settler.  Watt Brown Died Monday Night after short illness.
Watt Brown, one of the old pioneers of this section, died at his home in the vicinity of the brewery last Monday night after a short illness.  He was born in the state of New York and came to Manistique in 1882 from Painted Post. He was a stone mason by trade and constructed the foundations of the Ossawinamakee Hotel and the store building at present owned and occupied by John A. Falk, during the first years of his residence here.
He homesteaded the land on which "Brown Town" and the brewery is located and has made his home in the vicinity for many years. He went through the War of the Rebellion as a member of Company C, 107th Regt. New York Volunteer Infantry of which the late C. J. Fox was Captain for some time and marched with Sherman to the sea.
He was highly respected by all knowing him.  Funeral services will be held next Sunday.

JAMES A. BYERS (01/21/1898)
James A Byers. son of David and Mary Byers was born in Harrison township, Preble Ohio, May 3, 1826. He remained with his parents until twenty one years of age and then went to reside with his uncle, David Abott,  in Indiana. In 1850 he was joined in marriage to Miss Mandey Cauldice at Koscinsko Indiana They remained there until 1862 and then took up their abode in South Haven, Michigan. In September 1864 there being a call for volunteers to fight for the flag, he enlisted as a volunteer in Co I, 13th Regt. Mich. Vol. Infantry to remain so long as the war continued.   The war closed soon thereafter and he was discharged from the service June 8, 1865. He returned home and in 1882 came to this County and located on their present farm, about twelve miles north of this city By faithful toil and frugality, deceased and his estimable wife hewed out a home which today is the best in that vicinity. The homestead contains eighty acres, much of it cleared. Deceased was highly respected by all who knew him and the many friends of the family deplore the sad ending of his life and console with the wife and relatives in this their hour of trouble.
The deceased leaves a wife and three children, Elvila Kepler, John C. Byers and Mary Coda, also two brothers Isaac and A. S. Byers and a sister Katie Boaze.

WILLIAM N. CAFFEY (Died 10/18/1924)  Civil War Veteran Dies At Age Of 86
Ailments coming as the result of advanced years caused the death last Friday evening of Wm. N. Caffey, 86 years old, who passed peacefully away at the home of his son, Theodore Caffey Sr., of North Houghton avenue. Mr. Caffey was a native of Pennsylvania and served in the Civil War [104th Pennsylvania Infantry, Co. C.].  He was at one time postmaster at Caffey, which place was named after him.  Later, he engaged in farming around Whitedale.
The deceased was survived by his son, Theodore, and a daughter Francis, also many grand children and great grand children. Funeral services were con[d]ucted by Rev. M. Bursley, pastor of the Latter Day Saints church at Whitedale, on Monday morning.  Following the services the body was shipped to Caffey for interment. The Legion paid respect to the honored war veteran, six of their members being pallbearers, as follows: W. G. Beaudoin. S. M. Rubin, Ira Crawford, Alex Creighton, L. A. Danielson and Arthur Drevdahl.

AUGUSTUS C. CARPENTER (03/08/1901) Mr. A. C. Carpenter Dead,  His Death Occurred Tuesday Night,  After a Short Illness. He Will Be Buried at Columbiaville.  HE WAS A HIGHLY RESPECTED CITIZEN.
Mr. A. C. Carpenter died at his home in this city shortly after midnight Tuesday night,  after a six week's illness. While his death was not unexpected owing to the nature of his malady, cancer of the liver, yet when it did occur the community was shocked for he had been a prominent citizen of Schoolcraft county for a dozen or more years, and was so well and favorably known by nearly every inhabitant of the county.
The subject of this sketch was born in Norfolk County, Ontario on January 12, 1847. His parents were of American birth, but resided in our sister country at the time of the birth of the deceased. When he was twelve years of age he accompanied his parents to Lapeer County, this state, where he remained much of the time til he came to the upper peninsula in 1886.
Mr. Carpenter was a loyal citizen of the country, for when a mere youth he enlisted in the army and fought during the whole of the civil war. He enlisted at Flint as a member of Company D, Sixteenth Volunteer Infantry, was mustered in at Detroit and joined his regiment at Frederickburg, Virginia. His first engagement was at Chancellorsville, and he was through all the hard campaign work of the Army of the Potomac, being under fire thirty-one consecutive days through the Wilderness campaign. At the battle of Poplar Grove he received a serious wound in the head fracturing his skull.
When able to do so he rejoined his regiment.  He was present at Appomattox on the morning of Lee's surrender on the skirmish line in the advance within ten feet of the general's side, who passed through carrying the flag of truce to Grant's headquarters.
He went to Washington with his regiment, participated in the grand review, and was discharged from service at Detroit on August, 1865 after having participated in no less than forty general engagements.
After the war he resumed work in the woods and held many positions of trust, with lumbering companies; the last twelve years as assistant superintendent of the logging department of the Chicago Lumbering Co. of this city.
Mr. Carpenter was a true blue Republican and although several times disappointed in the outcome of conventions before which he was a candidate, yet he never sulked and always worked for party success.  At the time of his demise he was county surveyor. He was a facile writer and contributed articles on many subjects to the local press. There was no deceit in his make-up.
No services will be held here previous to taking train at 7 a. m.Thursday.  Interment will take place at Columbiaville, Lapeer county, Mich., where deceased resided previous to removal to Manistique, and where a brother, sister, and other relations still reside.  The remains will lie beside his wife who died at Detroit. Mich , in November 1899.
He was a prominent member of the local G. A. R. Post, and eleven of his Comrades and a number of the W. R. C. accompanied the body from the home to the depot yesterday morning.  A detail from the Sons of Veterans acted as pall bearers.  Mr. and Mrs. John Diehl, and Miss Esther of this city, and Mr. Peter Carpenter of Grand Marais, accompained the remains to Columbiaville.
An autopsy confirmed the diagnosis of the attending physicians, which they pronounced enlargement of the liver. Deceased suffered greatly during his illness until about 48 hours before the end came, during which time he was unconscious, and passed away peacefully and apparently without pain.
The deceased was insured for $1000 each in the Etna and Washington insurance companies.  Mr. C. was at one time a member of the order of Oddfellows, but had not been in active membership for some years. Two daughters survive the deceased, Mrs John Diehl, and Miss Essie, who will still make Manistique their home where they have resided since childhood and when [SIC] they are so well known and so highly esteemed.
The family wish to most sincerely thank the kind friends and neighbors who have shown such sympathy and and rendered every possible assistance during the long illness of and sad bereavement.

Major  Wright  E.  Clarke, veteran senior editor of the Manistique Pioneer, died at 7:30 o'clock at his home on Oak Street this morning.  
About two years ago Major Clarke was stricken down with paralysis and never fully regained his strength after that time, although he was at times able to do some work upon the paper. Since the first attack of paralysis he had several sinking spells.  Last night about twelve he had a similar attack and remained unconscious up to the time of his death.
Wright E. Clarke was born at Plattsburg, N. Y., in July of the year 1832, where he obtained his earlier education.  At the breaking out of the late war he was a resident of Indiana, where he enlisted in the service. He served throughout the war with distinction and was breveted a major.
After the war he was married at LaGrange, Ohio, to Miss Alice Wood, who survives him. A daughter was the result of this union, Mrs. Angus McLeod, who is a resident of this city.
After his marriage major Clarke came to the upper peninsula and was employed for a time on the Escanaba Iron Port. Later he did work for the Marquette Mining Journal and in the spring of 1880 did resign his position on that paper to come to Manistique.
He at once begun the publication of the Pioneer, and made a success of that paper, winning the respect and and esteem of the people of this county.  It may truly be said of him that he was a kind husband and father, a good citizen and  a plain, unassuming, charitable man, wholly devoted to his work; and that is the highest tribute that can be paid any man.
Up to this writing the arrangements for interment have not yet been decided upon but the ceremonies will probably take place Sunday under the auspices of the G. A. R. Post, of which the major was a member.
[Mr. Clarke's correct name was Seymour T. Montgomery.  He served in the 20th Indiana Volunteer Infantry Regiment, Co. I and was honorably discharged.]

AMOS E. COON  (02/02/1895)  Comrade Amos E. Coon Dead
Wednesday night a telegram was received at this office from David Hursh, foreman of one of the Hall and Buell camps near Seney that Amos E. Coon was dead and that he would arrive home with the remains on the evening train next day.  No particulars as to how his death occurred until the arrival of Mr Hursh, when our reporter learned the facts which we give in substance. Sleds were being loaded and Mr. Coon had been followed by a dog that he undertook to drive back to camp when the animal ran until he reached another sleigh just as the men were rolling up a log on top of the skids, the dog ran under the sleigh and Amos with an ox goad got under the skids and log to get the dog and was warned of the danger, but just as he replied "I am all right," the skids slipped and allowed the log to fall on him,  killing him instantly.  As soon as the news got here, the members of the GAR Post, of which he was a member were notified, and in the afternoon it was learned that he was also a member of J. H Allison tent of Maccabees, at Thompson. They were notified that afternoon, arrangements for the funeral services could not be made until Mr. Hursh arrived at 8 :20 p.m. Thursday night. Undertaker Kefauver and several members of the Post were at the depot at that hour and conducted them to the C. L. Co. undertaking rooms where they were allowed to remain until yesterday. A. L. Hill, Adjutant of the Post, at the request of Mr. Hursh and the Commander decided that religious services should be held at 2 p.m. at the First Baptist Church and requested Rev. J. C.  Rooney to be present and officiate.
All the members of the Post, W.  R.  C.  and S of V's that could be notified and were able to attend, as well as a large delegation of the K. O. T.  M.  assembled at the appointed hour on Walnut Street and marched to the church. The choir sang an appropriate piece and Rev. Rooney delivered a short but highly appropriate sermon after which the remains of the Comrade and noble citizen were conveyed to the cemetery and layed in his final resting place.
The deceased was bom in Ohio about 56 years ago and came when a young man to this state.  He came to Thompson about four years ago and worked for the Delta Lumber Company until last fall when he went to work for Mr. Hursh at the Hall and Buell camp. He was an industrious man. The writer made his acquaintance at the meetings of the Geo. F Fuller Post and has learned much about his Army life. His talks enlivened the proceedings of a number of "campfires."
Nothing is known about his family, if he has any— more than he spoke to us of a brother that lived in Ohio and last fall he said he had gone to see a son that he had not seen in 20 years, and we think that he said his son was in Urbano, Champaign County, but are not positive.  Many acquaintances here and at Thompson feel deeply sad at his departure and the terrible circumstances that attended his death. One by one the "old guard" are called hence.   The sad reflection thrusts itself upon us.  "Who will answer the next final call."

JOHN J. COWMAN (04/04/1929) CIVIL WAR VETERAN ANSWERS SUMMONS.  John Cowman Laid To Rest Today With Military Funeral By The Legion.
Spanish and World War veterans, to say nothing of a large host of friends, paid a fitting tribute today to John J. Cowman; the last of Manistique's Civil War veterans, who passed away Tuesday morning at his home on 110 North Sixth street. Death was due to a complication of diseases. The Manistique Post of the American Legion had charge of the military funeral.  Services were first held from the family home at two o'clock and from the Methodist church at 2:30 o'clock.  Rev. C. S. Risley officiated.
Mr. Cowman was a highly respected resident and his passing will be mourned by many.
Cowman was born in Scotland, June 9, 1847.  He enlisted in the Union Army [26th Battery, New York Volunteer Artillery] in 1861 and served until '65.  He was very proud of his record and took an active part in anything pertaining to the service. His death removes the last Civil war veteran to reside in Manistique.
He is survived by his widow, Mary A. Cowman and four children:  Mrs. Antoine Masteau, James C., Frederick L., and Charles Cowman, all of Manistique.

FRANK CRITTENDEN  (Died 11/25/1907)  OLD VETERAN CALLED.  Mr Frank Crittenden Died Monday Morning After Long Illness.  FUNERAL HELD WEDNESDAY.   Was an Old Resident of the City Having Resided Here for Thirty Years.
Mr. Frank Crittenden, an old and respected citizen died at his home on Riverside addition last Monday forenoon after a long illness.  
The deceased was born seventy one years ago and was a resident of this city about thirty years. He went through the war of the Rebellion as a member of Company B, Tenth Michigan Cavalry, and had a brillant army record. He saw much fighting and never shirked his duty as a soldier.  
His strenuous life during the war was the immediate cause of his decline and death.
Everybody liked Frank Crittenden. He was outspoken and frank at all times. The funeral services were held from the house at 1:30 o'clock Wednesday under the auspices of the local G. A. R.  Post.  Rev. Edmunds preached a short sermon.  The Veterans, Sons of Veterans and the Independent Military Co. accompanied the remains to the cemetery.

FRANCIS G. DODGE (5/13/1910) MR. DODGE IS DEAD.  Well Known Citizen Passed Beyond Last Sunday.  FUNERAL HELD YESTERDAY.  The Masonic Fraternity Attended in a Body.  Dr. Mitchell Delivered Sermon.
    Mr. Francis Gibbs Dodge of Hiawatha township, one of the most respected citizens of Schoolcraft County, died at the residence of his brother-in-law, Sheriff A. J. Smith, in this city Sunday afternoon at 5:10 o'clock, after a short illness.  For several years Mr. Dodge has been afflicted with heart disease, but aside from occasional attacks of the disease, his condition was not deemed critical.  On the day previous to his death he came to the city with Supervisor Aldrich.  He was not feeling well that day, and enroute to the city he became chilled.  He stopped at the office of his physician early in the evening and when in the vicinity of the C. L. hardware store, he was taken with a chill, and it was with great effort that his son who accompanied him, brought him to the sheriff's residence, not far distant.  Medical aid was immediately summoned, and everything that it was possible to do was done for him.  He lapsed into unconsciousness at midnight and his death occurred the following afternoon as stated above.
    Mrs. Dodge was hastilly brought to the city, and was with him when the end came, as was his brother from Germfask, his son who resides here and his daughter, Mrs. McIntyre of Manistique township.
    While the end was not entirely unexpected owing to the nature of the ailment, yet the news of his death shocked the community.
    Mr. Dodge was born at Hume, N.Y., Sept. 6, 1841.  He was a descendent of a family that emigrated to the United States from England, a century before the Revolutionary war, and which family gave scores of its members to the service of the country during the long war between the colonies and the mother country.  The records show that there were 217 Dodges in the Revolutionary war from Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, Connecticut and New York, and that forty seven of them were pensioners of the war.
    The patriotic blood of his ancestors also coursed through his veins, for before he was twenty years of age, he enlisted in the service of his country early in 1861 in a New York regiment [Co. B, 184th N. Y. Inf.], and as a result of wounds received, was discharged for disability the following year.  On recovery, he reenlisted in the 2nd New York Mounted Rifles, and was mustered out in the fall of 1865.
    He was married twice.  He wedded Emily Huntington in 1864 in the state of New York, who died in 1868.  On October 5, 1869 he married Ellen S. Smith at Oneida, Mich., who with six children, survives him.  The children are Mrs.A. McIntyre of Manistique township, Robert N., Ralph G., Cecil P., Glen L., and Clinton B.
    Mr. Dodge devoted most of his life to farming.  He came to Schoolcraft County in 1884, and settled in Hiawatha township, where he hewed a farm from the primeval forests.  During his long residence here he was frequently called upon to fill offices of trust by the residents of his township, and was actively identified with the Republican party and was a factor in political circles.  He also served his community for many years as postmaster.
    He was a member of the Masonic fraternity, and was very highly esteemed by his Masonic brethern.
    The deceased was a man of genial personality, and was well versed in the questions of the day, and [he had] tact of making and retaining friends.  He made frequent visits to Manistique, and was as well known here as the majority of the residents of the city are known.  Not only has the immediate family sustained a loss but the same can truthfully be said of the community in which he resided, and of the county as well.
    The funeral services were held yesterday afternoon from the Presbyterian church and were under Masonic auspices.  Rev. Dr. Mitchell delivered the sermon, and Miss Ward sang several solos.  About forty Masons were in line.  The pall bearers were selected from the fraternity and were, Messrs. A. M. LeRoy, A. A. LaBar, Thomas Pattinson, J. W. Bower, D. D. Fennell and Geo. E. Holbein.   

MILLARD DUELL DEAD (6/07/1907)  Was A Pioneer of this County Having Resided Here About 37 Years.  DEMISE OCCURRED SUNDAY.  Funeral Services Were Held Tuesday.  Was Very Well Known.
Mr. Millard Duell died at his home in the Village of Thompson Sunday morning after a two years'illness with cancer which affected his face and throat. He returned from Indianapolis a week prior to his death where he had been receiving treatment. Since the time that the cancerous affection first made its appearance he spent much time in hospitals at Ann Arbor, Detroit and other cities in a futile struggle to stay its progress but to no avail.
The deceased was born at Cumberland Head, N. Y., sixty-nine years ago. When he was one year of age his parents moved to Cleveland, Ohio, where he lived until the breaking out of the war of the Rebellion, when he promptly enlisted for service, in Co. A, Seventh Ohio Infantry, serving as a soldier for three years three months and two weeks.  He was shot through the leg during the second battle at Winchester, and during his enlistment proved himself a brave soldier.  After the war he located at Berlin, Wis, where he lived until 1871. In August of that year he moved to Manistique where he remained until 1880 when he moved to Thompson.
He married Miss Eva Johnson in this city on Nov. 14, 1875. The marriage was solemnized by Martin H. Quick who was a justice of the peace at that time. The widow and four children survive. They are Floyd Duell of [SIC] Dick and Charles, Alice and Palma, of Thompson.
The funeral services were held at Thompson Tuesday afternoon at 2 o'clock and the remains were brought here for burial.  Mr. Duell was a stone mason and carpenter and through his business and other relations was widely known throughout the country. The family has the sympathy of their friends in their bereavement.

E. C. EYESTONE (03/05/1909)  AN OLD VETERAN DIES.  Mr. E. C. Eyestone Died in Hiawatha Township Last Monday of Heart Failure. HAD GOOD WAR RECORD. Was a resident of this County for the Past Fifteen Years and was well known.
Mr. E. C. Eyestone of Hiawatha township dropped dead at the home of Mr. John C. Byers, Monday afternoon about 1:30 o'clock. On the day in question, Mr Byers was at Manistique and Mr. Eyestone and Mrs. Culdice, an aged lady, were alone that day. Mr. Eyestone ate a hearty dinner, and a moment prior to his death started for the hen house to gather eggs. After he left the house, Mrs. Culdice saw him fall in the path leading to the hen house, and went to his assistance. She bathed his face with spirits with the hope that same might revive him, but he evidently died instantly. Being crippled she was unable to take him to the house, or to call the neighbors, and he remained in the snow until the return of Mr. Byers. He at once summoned the neighbors, and the body was taken to the house, and later was brought to the city by Mr. F. G. Dodge who arrived in the city about four o'clock Tuesday morning.
The deceased was born in Wyandotte county, Ohio about seventy-two years ago. He went through the war of the Rebellion as a member of the Forty-ninth regiment. O. V. I., and served during the entire war. He was a brave soldier, and had a first class record. He received a wound in one of the numerous battles in which he was engaged. Later he became a resident of Eaton county, this state, and about fifteen years ago he came to Schoolcraft county, locating in Hiawatha, where he purchased a small farm. Mr Eyestone was a man with convictions, and the back bone and speech to maintain them.
He leaves three sons to mourn his death, Of these, Gibson Eyestone resides in this city, and the others are residents of Eaton county. He suffered a stroke of paralysis a few months ago, but had seemingly recovered, and apparently as active as ever.  A recurrence of the malady caused his death. The body was taken to Diamondale, Mich., for burial Wednesday.

THEODORE FRUSCH (06/07/1892)  "Mustered Out"
Late Saturday evening news was received at this office that Theodore Frusch, a veteran soldier, residing on the west side of the river had died at 3 o'clock that afternoon. The family were Germans and the fact that there was a sick soldier in town was not known to any of the comrades here until after he had passed away. Adjutant Hill at once repaired to the the residence and the arrangements were made for the funeral to take place at 3 p.m. Sunday. Word was sent to a few of the Comrades and at that hour the burial squad left the court house and started for the residence. On the way they learned that through some misunderstanding religious services had been held at the house by the Rev. S. Polkinhorn at 12 o'clock, a. m., and that the body had already been taken to the cemetery. The members of the Post marched to their hall and from there to the cemetery, under charge of Commander Kimbell and surrounded the grave where the usual ceremonies took place.  The relatives of the deceased and quite a number of citizens were present. This sad duty performed the people retraced their steps and at the court house the G. A. R's. were allowed to break ranks.
The deceased was a member of Co. B. 110th New York Volunteers; enlisted in 1862 and was wounded at Gettysburg and was sent to the Hospital. He has resided some years at or near Little Harbor, in this county; but during his last sickness he was here with his wife at the residence of his step-son. The family have the sympathy of every veteran soldier in their sad loss.

JOHN GAYAR  (1927)  "GRAND OLD MAN" CLAIMED BY DEATH.  John Gayar, 82, Civil War Veteran Laid to Rest on Wednesday.
John Gayar, Civil War Veteran and prominent pioneer resident of Manistique, was laid at rest in Lakeview Cemetry on Wednesday afternoon. The funeral was one of the largest held here for some time. Some thirty members of the American Legion turned out, many in uniform, and also a number of Spanish American War Veterans. The body was laid to its last resting place as a Legion firing squad paid a parting tribute and a Legion bugler sounded "taps." All business houses of the city were closed during the funeral hour from 2:30 p.m. to four o'clock.
Mr. Gayar was 82 years old on Feb. 10th. He was born in Maine and joined the Twelfth Maine Regiment when only 16 years of age.  Mr. Gayar served in the army for five years. He was wounded on four different occasions but not seriously. He has always taken pride in his service and in service men and rarely was he found missing at any patriotic service or celebration.  Mr. Gayar showed an active interest in politics and had the unique record of casting a ballot in every presidential election since he first voted for Abraham Lincoln.
The deceased had made Manistique his home for about 50 years since he first settled at what was formerly known as Jamestown. During this time he made warm friends of all with whom he came into contact. "He was a grand old man," was the expression made by one friend and that unquestionably typifies the sentiment of the entire community. Mrs. Gayar, who survives her husband and has been a most loyal helpmate is 72 years old.  
Funeral services were conducted from the home, 602 Oak street, by Rev. C. S. Risley, pastor of the Methodist Church.

CHARLES H. GIRVIN (11/22/1912) PASSED AWAY.  Mr. Charles H. Girvin Died Sunday After Short Illness.
Mr. Charles H. Girvin died at his home on Oak street last Sunday after noon shortly after two o'clock after an illness of about six weeks duration. The immediate cause of death was pneumonia. Mr. Girvin was striken with apoplexy about seven weeks ago, and for a time his condition was extremely grave. Later he rallied and was much improved up to Friday of last week, when he took cold and pneumonia resulted. While his death was not unexpected, yet it was a shock to his friends and neighbors who had so well and favorable known him for so many years.
The deceased was born in April 1846, in the township of Waunash, Canada, and when a mere boy, he came to Michigan, and at the age of eighteen years enlisted in the 12th Michigan Infantry. Later, he lived at Alpena and other lower peninsula cities, and at the age of thirty-five returned to Canada, where he wedded Mis Anne Stewart of Goderich Ont., who survives him.  Shorty after their marriage they came to Manistique and engaged in the baker business, which he was conducting at the time he was fatally stricken.
Aside from the widow, he leaves a brother and four sisters,  viz: Samuel Girvin of Rudyard; Mrs. Annie Shaw of Charlevoix, Mrs. Rachael Freeman of Detroit, Mary Purdy of Hancock and Mrs. Haynes of this city.
The funeral was held from the Presbyterian church Tuesday after noon at 2:30, Dr. Mitchell officiating, and was largely attended by friends and neighbors.
He was a member of the Woodmen of the World, and the Grand Army Post.

The bureal [SIC] of John F. Golliver, the aged man who was found dead in bed at Shepard's Camp near Shingleton, May 14, was held Tuesday afternoon, Rev. T. H. Williamson officiating.  It was in charge of the local Grand Army Post as he was a member of the 66th Infantry, Company I, Ohio, in the Civil war. The body was kept in the Johnson morgue pending arrangement to ship it to Prattville in Hillsdale county, where his home was and he could then be buried in the family lot along side of his wife.  On account of the lapse of time it was impossible to do this. His daughter, Mrs. McKinney of Shingelton, was here Monday evening to assist with the funeral arrangements, and he also has a son, Wm. P. Golliver, at Clondyke Camp near Shingleton.

JOHN HENRY (03/13/1914)  VETERAN DIES.  John Henry, a Well Known Resident Died Monday.
The rapidly thinning ranks of the Civil War veterans lost another comrade this week in the death of John Henry of this city, which occurred Monday evening. Mr. Henry was born in Snellbrooke Canada in 1841 and was therefore 73 years of age.  When a young man he came to Burlington, Vt, and soon after enlisted as volunteer in Co. K 1st Vermont Cavalry, taking active part in the struggle for the preservation of the Union. In his fighting around Richmond, in 1864. he was severely wounded. At the close of the war he received an honorable discharge and moved westward settling in Michigan.
On Christmas day 1869 he was married to Naomi Roborge of Cheyboygan, and in the early 70's moved to Manistique. Later he located on a homestead near the present village of Cooks, being one of the pioneer settlers in that district.  With increasing age, and infirmity, he became unable to do the work required on the farm, and a few years ago purchased a home in this city where he resided at the time of his death.
For many years he has been a sufferer of rheumatism, but other complications also set in and for several months past he has been a helpless invalid. All that could be done of loving care and sympathy and faithful medical attention has been freely bestowed to relieve as far as possible his hours of terrible agony.
The funeral was held Thursday morning from St. Francis de Sales church Rev Fr. Savagcau officiating. The casket was loaded with beautiful floral offerings the gifts of relatives and friends.
Beside the widow the deceased leaves four sons and four daughters to revere his memory. They are Henry of Gladstone. William and Joseph of Manistique., Norman of Traverse City, Mrs. W. T. S.  Cornell and Mrs Joseph Hart of this city, Mrs. H. C. D. Ashford of Neopit, Wis . and Mrs Oscar Marsel of Cooks.
The deceased had many friends wherever he was known who will unite in sympathy with the bereaved family in their hour of sorrow.

ELI HUEY (06/18/1897)
Eli Huey, an old and respected citizen of Hiawatha township, died Monday of this week. Deceased was 52 years of age, and came from Bangor, Mich., to this section a number of years ago. He was highly respected by all knowing him. [Mr. Huey served in the 11th Michigan Cavalry, Company G. during the Civil War.]

DAVID HURSH  (10/17/1902) LOST HIS LIFE.  David Hursh, an Old and Respected Citizen of Thompson, Drowned Last Evening.  BOAT SANK IN THE MILL POND.  Being Unable to Swim and Becomming Entangled in the Nets, His Son Was Unable to Save Him.
David Hursh, an old and respected citizen of Thompson, lost his life in the mill pond in that village last evening about six o'clock. He and his son William, were engaged in setting nets in the pond, at the time the fatality occurred. Will was sculling the boat while Mr. Hursh was  setting the nets. Will noticed that the boat was leaking at the bow but did not deem the situation at all critical.  Shortly afterward Mr. Hursh noticing the water in the boat exclaimed, "Will! the boat is sinking!" He upset the boat and both were thrown into the water. In falling Mr. Hursh's left arm became entangled in the nets, and was also handicapped because he could not swim. Will got hold of him and the boat and did all that he could to save his father's life, but he was compelled to let go in order to save his own life. He reached the dock in an exhausted condition. Many were attracted to the spot by the screams.
A yawl belonging to a schooner, was impressed into service and Joseph Hursh, a brother of deceased, recovered the body in about forty-five minutes. For an hour or more efforts were made to recussitate him but of no avail.
The deceased was born in Steuben county, N. Y., sixty years ago last May. He came to Michigan thirty four years ago, and nine years later moved to Thompson where he has since resided. At the opening of the war be enlisted with a New York regiment [6th New York Heavy Artillery, Company I] and served four years. He was a member of the G. A. R. Post.
During the greater portion of his residence in this county he was engaged as foremen for the North Shore and Delta Lumber Companies. He was also an expert land looker.
He leaves a widow, nine children and three brothers to mourn his loss. The children are: Mesdames Eveline Rebo, Laura Sample, Ellen Davis and Miss Minnie, William, Joseph, David jr., Newell and Leo, all of Thompson. The brothers are Henry, Wilson and Joseph, also of Thompson.
Funeral services will be held at the Town Hall in the village of Thompson next Sunday afternoon at 2 o'clock. Rev. Osborne officiating. A number of his G. A. R. comrades will attend from this city.
The deceased was very [unreadable] favorably known here and the sympathy of all is with the bereaved family.

WILLIAM IRISH (July 27, 1908) The Evening News, Sault Ste. Marie
William B. Irish, aged 63, an old resident of Manistique, died Friday evening of consumption. Deceased leaves a wife and five children, two boys and three girls, Mrs. Sheman McNeil, Florence and Helen, and Jacob and Harry, all of Manistique. Mr. Irish was highly respected by all who knew him. The funeral will be held from the residence on Elk street on Tuesday afternoon at 2 o'clock.
[William Irish served as a bugler with the 7th Michigan Calvary from July 1862 through September, 1865.]

Although he withstood four years of strenous service in the Civil War, John D. Kepler, one of the pioneer and highly respected residents of Hiawatha, could not longer withstand the infirmities of old age, and passed away at his home Monday, December 16, at the advanced age of 84 years. He was a prominent veteran in this locality and was always active in G. A. R. work. The deceased was born in Illinois, and came to Hiawatha 34 years ago and has lived there ever since, during the time that this country has changed from a veritable forest region.
The funeral was held Tuesday afternoon at 2 o'clock at the Grange hall, Rev. F. R. Leach officiating.  He leaves a wife and four children, two sons and two daughters, all being at the funeral.  The children are, Simon Kepler of Hiawatha, William Kepler of Kalkaska, Mich., Mrs. John Byers and Mrs. George Davis, both of Hiawatha.
[John Kepler served in the 17th Illinois Infantry, Co. F., and in the 8th Illinois Infantry, Co. E.  He served a total of 54 months.]

D. P. Kimbell (April, 1903)  Mr. D. P. Kimbell Dead.
Mr. D. P. Kimbell died at Marquette, Mich., April 1st after a five days' illness of pneumonia. The deceased was born at Kalamazoo, Mich., May 10th, 1846 and served 18 months during the Civil war, having been a member of Co. D. 27th Mich. Inf. He was a resident of this city from 1889 to 1893, while here was a member of the Geo. F. Fuller Post, G. A. R.
His remains were taken last Friday by his son James, to Fremont, Mich., for burial beside his wife, who died at Duluth, Minn. Oct. 29th, 1895.  
Deceased leaves three daughters and two sons to mourn the loss of a kind father. They are: Mrs Adella Douglas of Fremont, Mich., Mrs. Edith Johnson of this city; Mrs. Bessie Munsey of Los Angeles, Cal., and James and Julian Kimball of Marquette, Mich. He also leaves four brothers and five sisters who reside in lower Michigan. Mr. Kimbell's many friends and acquaintances are very sorry to learn of his demise.

MELBOURN LYMAN (12/21/1906)  DEATH OF MELBOURN LYMAN.  Was a Well Known Citizen of Inwood Township.
Melbourn Lyman, one of the old and well known citizens of Inwood township, died yesterday morning after a short illness with Bright's disease, at the age of 62 years.
He was a veteran of the civil war and had been a resident of Schoolcraft county for many years.  [Mr. Lyman served in the 5th Michigan Cavalry, Company F.]
He leaves a widow and son, Elmer of Frazee Minn. who came here two weeks ago, but was compelled to return on account of his duties as engineer and superintendent of the lighting plant of his city.
The funeral will be held Saturday.

JOHN MCCANNA (August, 1930)  John McCanna
The following story from the Ontonagon Herald tells of the recent death of John McCanna, former well known resident of Manistique and at one time sheriff of Schoolcraft county:
John McCanna, a resident of Ontonagon Village for over twenty-five years and the last Veteran of the War of the Rebellion, in the North end of this county, was buried Sunday afternoon August 10, 1930, from the Holy Family Church. Father O. J. Bennett, officiated and preached the funeral sermon, eulogizing Mr. McCanna as a citizen, and a christian and paying stirring tribute to the soldier and the man.
The funeral arrangements were made and carried out by Smith-Adams Post of the American Legion, who with substantially the entire civilian population united in paying a last tribute to the departed soldier. Assisting in carrying his old comrade to his last resting place was Orlando Peterson of Ewen, now the last remaining veteran of the War of the Rebellion in this county. With him were Charles McCorry of the Veterans of the Spanish-American War and Capt. Joseph M . Donnelly, Lieutenant John Blair, R. O. Hills and Joseph Dobbeck, veterans Of the World War and member of the Smith-Adams Post American Legion. The funeral cortege was led by the 332nd Inf. Regimental Band M. S. T. and Smith-Adams Post and the Members of the Knights of Columbus, of which Mr. McCanna had been a member for thirty or more years, formed a guard of honor.
Mr. McCanna was born at Burlington, Vermont, April 27, 1847.  His family moved to Painted Post, N. Y. when he was seven years of ag[e]. His father, Henry McCanna enlisted with the first three year men of the Union Army soon after the outbreak of the War of the Rebellion and served through the rest of the war.  When the 107th New York was organized in 1861, John McCanna, then, fourteen years old, accompanied the regiment to Washington D. C. as a drummer intending to join the army and was to be made a drum major. His plans came to naught as when he called on his father who was then in a Washington hospita! recovering from a wound received in battle, he was peremptorily ordered home to care for his mother and his younger brothers and sisters. In the spring of 1864 he contrived to enlist in the 107th New York by adding a year to his age. In the meantime his father, whose first enlistment had expired, had re-enlisted in the 107th New York, and they were tent mates for the balance of the war. They served under Sherman during the whole campaign that included the march from Atlant[a] to the sea.
After his discharge from the Army Mr. McCanna returned to his home in New York. In 1867 he took up his residence at Harrisville, Alcona Co., Michigan.  October 21. 1859 he was united in marriage to Anna Hogue, who survives him. The family moved to Manistique, Mich., in 1879. and remained there twenty years. From 1882 to 1888 inclusive he was Sheriff of Schoolcraft County. In 1897 the family moved to Green Bay, Wis., and from 1904 to the present time the family residence has been Ontonagon.
He leaves surviving him two brothers, Henry McCanna, Manistique, Mich., and William McCanna, Redlands, California, and a sister, Mrs. Fred Smith, Waukegon, Illinois; W. F. and T. Montgomery, nephews, Iron Mountain, Mich. Of his immediate family are his widow, Anna McCanna, Ontonogon; John McCanna, Flint; George B. McCanna, Grand Rapids; Leo'H. McCanna, Ironwood, sons; Mary H. and Bertha C. McCanna of Ontonagon and Mrs. John Jones, Ironwood, daughters, and also his grandchildren, Kathleen, Margaret and Jim Jones, and John, Patrick and Thomas McCanna, all of Ironwood. These are the members of his family, but if one may Judge from those who attended him on his last Journey it seems the whole Community has taken him to itself and mourns him as its own.

JAMES NORTON (12/03/1915)  CALLED BEYOND TUESDAY MORNING. James Norton Died Tuesday at Grand Rapids—-Will Be Buried Here.
James Norton an old and respected citizen was called by death Tuesday at the home of his son, Russell with whom Mr. and Mrs. Norton had been making their home during the past three months. Although Mr. Norton had been suffering from hardening of the arteries during the past three years there was nothing indicating that death was so near at hand.  He was taken sick while at the table and it was only a short time afterward that the end came.
The remains arrived here yesterday morning accompanied by Mrs. Norton and son Russell and owing to uncertainty of the arrival of some of the relatives no definite arrangements have been made for the funeral as the paper goes to press.
James Norton was born in Port Huron, Mich., April 22, 1845 and was about seventy years ago when he died.  Forty-five years ago he came to Manistique and was in the employ of the Chicago Lumber Co. nearly all the time he was here.  On Dec. 18th, 1873 he was married to Ida F. Witter, the ceremony being performed by Mr. M. H. Quick.
Mr. Norton was a veteran of the Civil war, having served in First Michigan Sharpshooters and was during the war a prisoner for eleven months in the Andersonville prison.  He was a member of the local post G. A. R.
Besides the widow the deceased is survived by four sons as follows:  Orville, Clarmont, South Dakota; Fred, of this city; Strohn, of Racine, Wis.; and Russell of Grand Rapids.  The deceased family have the sincere sympathy of the community.

JOHN PHENES (01/11/1907) DEATH OF JOHN PHENES. Was An Old Resident Of Schoolcraft County And A Veteran Of The Civil War.
John Phenes, aged sixty years, died at his home in Lakeside addition last Sunday afternoon after a long illness.  The deceased was a native of Steuben county New York state and was was a resident of Schoolcraft county about twenty years previous to his death.  He was a veteran of the Civil War [ 153rd New York Infantry, Company E ] and a member of the local G. A. R. Post.  Three brothers and two sisters and the widow survive him.  The brothers are Gilbert of New York state, Nelson and Festus of this city and Mrs. Esther Rey[?] of Pennsylvania and Mrs. Hatti L [?]  of this city are the sisters.  
Funeral services were held from the Methodist Church, Rev. Edmonds officiating last Wednesday afternoon.

MR. SHERBINAU (ALIAS PILLOW) June 10th and 12th, 1889
AMPUTATION - For several years the old gentleman known to many of our citizens as Mr. Pillow, but whose right name is Sherbinau,  has been suffering with a very bad foot, and the physicians finally decided that it must be taken off.  He is in the hospital at Thompson, under the care of Dr. Heslop Saturday.  Dr Bowen went over and the two soon performed the operation in good style. The cut was made midway between the knee and the foot   The doctors seem to think that despite his great age, that he will recover. As it was, before the operation the unfortunate man was suffering intense pain and dying by inches.  Mr. Sherbinau is an Indian, and during the late war served in the ranks and did noble service, but like hundreds of others, has been allowed in his old age to come to poverty and want, whilst other less worthy persons have been constantly drawing pensions from the government.
[DEATH] - Mr. Sherbinau (Pillow) died last night at the home of Mr. David Bouchard. He had reached the age of 93. His remains will be taken to St Ignace for interment, leaving here about 9 o'clock tomorrow morning. All members of the Post here are requested to assemble at the armory at 8 o'clock and march from there to the dock in assist in paying proper respect to the memory of another soldier that has been called to answer the "roll call" from on high. David Bouchard and a committee from George F Fuller Post G. A. R. will accompany the remains to the Point.

G. W. Sorter, an old resident of this county, passed away on April second at his home in Doyle township.
Mr. Sorter was born on May 27, 1835 in New York state. In his early boyhood he moved with his parents to Ovid township, Branch county, Michigan, where he resided until shortly before the Civil war. He was united in marriage to Mary A. Willson, and to this union were  born  four children, one son, and three daughters. He moved with his family to Dayton township, Tuscola county, as a pioneer in the late 50's, and there resided until coming here about thirty-two years ago. When the Civil war began he enlisted in Co. D, 23rd Regiment, Michigan Volunteer Infantry on Sept. 11, 1862, and served until the close of the war. He was a member of Fairbanks Post, G. A. R., of Detroit Mich. Although not a member of the local post, he was very faithful in attendance at practically every gathering of the veterans on such occations as Memorial Day.
Mr. Sorter was a very active man and only a few days before his death had been down to Manistique. He is survived by one brother, David Sorter, two daughters, Mrs. Eva A. Green of Gulliver and Mrs. Alice Magee, six grand children and one great grandson, besides the many friends made during his long residence here who also mourn his passing.

PERRY TEEPLE (08/22/1902)  PERRY TEEPLE DIES SUDDENLY.  Attacked With Heart Failure Tuesday Evening While Walking Near His Home In Hiawatha Township
Perry Teeple. aged 63 years, was suddenly stricken with heart failure while walking near his home last Wednesday evening. He was accompanied by Bert Orr of this city, and they had left the cabin a short time previous to go to a bridge in the vicinity, for the purpose of closing a gap so that the cattle could not cross the river. While thus engaged Teeple's dog commenced to bark in the marshes some distance away, evidently having an animal of some kind at bay. They started in that direction. Shortly after starting Teeple complained of shortness of breath. After resting a few minutes they continued their walk. He then complained of a startling weakness in his limbs and a fluttering of the heart.  Orr became alarmed and asked Teeple the way to the cabin. He responded that it was so dark that he could not the way, although the moon was shining brightly at the time. A few moments later he sank to the ground and died in Mr. Orr's arms. Orr then went to the cabin, got a horse, and accompanied by A. J. Smith, took the body to F. G. Dodge's home. From thence it was brought to Johnson's morgue.
The deceased had been a resident of this county for eleven years, and has a son and sister residing in Grand Rapids, and a brother near that city. He was a veteran of the War of the Rebellion [6th Michigan Cavalry, Co. H] and was desperately wounded at the battle of Gettysburg. He served through the entire war and was mustered out while with the Custer brigade in the far west.
The funeral was held this afternoon under G. A. R. auspices, Rev. Osbourne officiating.

GEORGE D. TUCKER (11/22/1901)  CAPT. TUCKER DIES.  His Demise Occurred Last Wednesday Forenoon After a Short Illness. ONE OF MANISTIQUE'S PIONEERS And Was Prominently Identified with the City's Business Interests for the Past Twenty Years.
Capt. Geo. D. Tucker died at his home in this city, last Wednesday forenoon of diabetic gangrene after an illness extending through a period of several months.
The deceased was born at Jamesville, N. Y , on February 21, 1840, and was therefore sixty-one years old at the time of his death. When a child his parents moved to Michigan and settled at Algonac, St. Clair county, where be remained until he was fifteen years of age, when he began the life of a sailor on the Great Lakes. He rose rapidly in his chosen profession and for years before he decided to quit the seas he was master of vessels. At the opening of the rebellion he enlisted in the 9th Regt. of Vol. Infantry, on Aug. 20th, 1861, as first sergeant of his company. A year later he was promoted to a second lieutenancy, and on Aug. 7, 1863 was again promoted to the position of first lieutenant. His army record is of the best and his promotions were the well merited for bravery upon the field of battle. For a time he was on the staff of Gen. Thomas as quartermaster during the Chattanooga campaign and at the close of the war he was mustered out of the service as first lieutenant.
After the war he returned to Michigan and resumed his life on the lakes. As master of the Dore and Ivanhoe he frequently visited this port when Manistique was a mere hamlet.  In 1880 he moved his  family to Manistique and has since that time been a resident of the town:  During his prime he was an important factor in the business and political circles of the county, and at one time was the Republican candidate for county treasurer.
The Captain was a frank, open hearted man and had many friends in the community who are sorry that his life is ended.
The funeral services were held from the family residence this afternoon at two o'clock, Rev. Branch, pastor of the Presbyterian church of which deceased was a member, officiating. The services were largely attended.
On June 13, 1866 he was married to Mary I. Crowell of Dexter, Maine, at Bad Axe, Huron county, this state. Aside from the widow, and three children,  Harry, Pembroke and Miss Edna, he leaves a half-brother, Victor Daniels of Ohio, and a sister, Mrs. Ashford of Lockport, N Y. to mourn his demise.

WILLIAM TURPIN (03/13/1924) CIVIL WAR VET IS IS CALLED BY DEATH. William Turpin, Sr., Esteemed Resident Of Manistique For 30 Years
In the passing of William Turpin, Sr., who died at his home on Wednesday morning, Manistique loses a highly respected resident. For more than 30 years the deceased has made this city his home. He was a veteran of the Civil War, serving for four years.
Mr. Turpin was born in London England, on October 12, 1844  and was united in marriage to Elizabeth Severs in 1867. He is survived by his wife and five children, Wm. Turpin, Jr., Joseph Turpin, Mrs. George Payne all of Manistique; Mrs. Theodore Grathen, Grand Rapids; and Mrs. P. R. Legg of Gladstone.
The sympathy of the entire community goes out to the bereaved family.

DANIEL WILSON (08/13/1910)  DEATH OF DAN WILSON.  He Died Suddenly Wednesday at Home in Thompson.
    Mr. Daniel Wilson, an old and highly respected citizen of Thompson, died at his home in that village last evening shortly after six o'clock of heart trouble.  He was in his usual health at noon, but left his store for the house shortly after dinner, and took to his bed.  He grew worse, and when his condition became serious, a physician was telephoned for but death occurred before he reached his bedside.
    Mr. Wilson had been a resident of Thompson for many years and lived on a farm in the Lockhart settlement until a few years ago when age made it impossible to actively pursue farming for a livelihood, and he moved to the village where he conducted a small store.
    He was a veteran of the civil war and is the second veteran to die within a week.
[Mr. Wilson served in the147th N.Y. Infantry, Co. I and was later transferred to the 91st N. Y., Co. I.]

LOUIS WORTH (March, 1907)  OLD RESIDENT DIES.  Louis  C. Worth One of Manistique's Pioneer Citizens Died Last Saturday Morning.  WAS UNIVERSALLY ESTEEMED And His End Regretted By His Large Circle of Friends.
Louis C Worth, one of the pioneers of Manistique died at one o'clock last Saturday morning after a few months illness with liver and kidney troubles. Last autumn while in Wisconsin attending the funeral of his father he contracted a severe cold which resulted in pneumonia and since that time his health declined rapidly. The deceased was born in Wisconsin in 1840 and was sixty-seven years of age at the time of his death.
On Sept. 10th, 1863 he enlisted as a member of Co. C Wisconsin Heavy Artillery, and participated in many of the big battles of the Rebellion and was twice wounded. He was mustered out of the service at Nashville, Tenn., on Sept. 21, 1865.
After the war he came north and was located here and in Green Bay country for some time. Later he went to Oregon but returned to Manistique about thirty five years ago and resided here until his death. On August 26, 1886 he was married by Elder Fowler to Miss Martha Burningston, who with three sons, Will, Norman and Melwin, remain to mourn his loss.
During the many years that he resided here, he was almost continually in the employ of the Chicago Lumbering Company and for twenty years served as night watchman at the docks. He was a faithful and trustworthy employe and as a citizen was honest, sober, industrious and frugal. His possession of these traits is certainly proven by the fact that he was the owner of five residence properties in this city at the time time of his death.
Funeral services were held from the home on Maple Ave last Saturday afternoon, Rev. Albert Torbet officiating. A quartette consisting of Misses Brown and Quick and Messrs. Kefauver and Hager sang. Friends filled the home to overflowing, and the floral tributes were very numerous.
The pall bearers selected were friends of the deceased since the pioneer days and consisted of Messers. A, P. Ekstrom, Nels Olsen, William Fazen [?], W. A. McKinney, Erastus Orr and E. D. Carr.
The bereaved family has the sympathy of the entire community in their bereavement.