The Winkelman Store
Photo of the Winkelman Store on Cedar Street in Manistique circa 1920 - Photo contributed by Paul Petosky
The Winkelman clothing store was located in the building currently occupied by the Ford dealership (on the corner of Cedar and Oak streets) and was owned by Moses Winkelman. Mr. Winkelman was born in Russia occupied Poland in November of 1864. He immigrated to the United States in 1882 at the age of 18. He arrived in Manistique in the early 1880s and worked as a peddler before opening up a dry goods store. Winklelman's first store was located near the Thompson and Putnam Drug Store. He married Hattie Freidman of Detroit in a ceremony at Manistique on July 10, 1891. The couple had four children. In 1909 Winkelman opened up a larger store in the McNamara block (pictured above on far left). The Winkelman family left Manistique in the 1920s. Mr. Winkelman's sons, Leon and Isadore later established the Winkelman Brothers Apparel, Inc., in Detroit, which evolved into the famous chain of ladies speciality clothing stores.
Source: Manistique Pioneer Tribune, February 12, 1909
Moved in New Store
Mose Winkelman moved into the McNamara block yesterday. One of
the best rooms in Peninsula. Business demanded change, can now
carry larger stock and display same in more satisfactory manner.
Mr. Mose Winkelman moved his stock of goods in his new location in the McNamara block yesterday, and he and his force of clerks are busily engaged in arranging the stock and getting everything in shape for business.
In his new location, Mr. Winkelman has one of the best store rooms to be found in the upper peninsula and gives him an opportunity of better displaying his present stock and affords him room for increasing the stock, which was impossible in his old quarters.
His present salesroom is 29 x 100 feet in size, with a cloak room 18 x 30 feet at the rear. A commodious balcony extends across the rear of the room and over the cloak room. It will be utilized for the office and cashier's desk and wrapping department. A representative of the United Tub Co. arrived in the city from Chicago this morning for the purpose of installing the parcel car rails.
The main floor has been divided as follows: the drygoods department is located at the north side of the room, the shoe department extends through the center of the room and the stock is placed in handsome cases. The clothing and gents' furnishing department extends along the entire south side of the room. Eight cabinets each containing two hard clothing racks of six feet in all are utilized in caring for the clothing stock. Each rack holds from thirty to thirtyfive fine suits. The cloak department is located under the balcony at the rear of the store as was stated above.
The fixtures are new and are finished in golden oak. They were made by contractor Ramsey.
There is not a better lighted store in the city. Ten chandeliers, each containing five powerful Tungsten lights, are used in the main part of the building, while each of the mammoth display windows contain twenty two large incandescent fastened to the ceiling.
A phone, No. 76, has been installed, and all the improvements to be found in a modern store will be installed. the building is heated by steam.
A number of new show cases, men's hat case, and up to date fixtures have been purchased but have not been received at this time.