Owosso, MI (North Washington Street) (1905) - Contributed by Paul Petosky
The Year 1899 in Owosso
The year 1899 was a memorable one in the history of the city of Owosso. In a quiet, unostentatious manner the work of building up a modern city has gone steadily forward, and at a pace that is surprising, when the full extent of development is known.
To thoseof us who live here, the changes come gradually, and scarcely more than a passing notice is given improvements which to an occasional visitor to the city, transforms the whole appearance of that section of this city.
The Evening Argus at first contemplated mentioning briefly, in this edition, all the improvements in the way of new buildings made in the city during the year, many of them beautiful in design and costly in finish, others less pretentious, but built to make a home for some happy and prosperous clerk or artisan. And who shall say which is the more to be desired, viewed from the standpoint of the city's welfare?
Coming from the homes, and the improvements surrounding them, to the marts of trade, the building of nine store buildings, a three-story carriage factory, three other business establishments, besides the enlargement and refitting of a large lumber yard, and additions made to two factories - these are improvements of which any city double our size might well be proud. We speak later and more particularly of the business enterprises added to the city, and show cuts that tell their own story of Owosso's development.
The city itself has kept step in the onward march of progress, the common council and board of public works showing commendable enterprise in managing the city's office. Wheras fifteen months ago there was not a yard of street paving in the city, today there are twelve and a half blocks of fine asphalt paving. Twelve months ago the sidewalks in the business section varied in width from eight to twelve feet, some were board, some concrete, some were high, some low. No nearly the entire business section has a fine concrete walk nineteen feet wide, built on a uniform grade.
On January 18th, the handsome iron girder bridge, spanning the Shiawassee at Main Street, was accepted by the city and opened to the use of the public. The bridge was built at a cost of $15,000.
During the year twenty-two blocks of public sewer were laid, on Ball, Saginaw, Oak and Clinton streets. During the season ending December 1, 1899, there have been built undeer the supervision of Street Commissioner Chase, 86, 143 square feet of cement walk four feet wide at an aggregate cost of over $4,517. There have been built under the supervision of Street Commissioner Chase, 30, 143 square feet of concrete or tar walk, or over two miles of walk, four feet wide, at a cost of over $2, 072. Also nearly one and one-half miles of block crosswalks, for which were used 1,746 square yards of cedar blocks sotingover 00, and over 50,000 feet of lumber, costing over $6,500.
There have been about two miles of streets graveled, using over 5,000 l oads of gravel at a cost of $2,000. The street commissioner has also used nearly 1,000 loads of filling earth for sidewalks, etc.
There have been laid for drainage, other than regular mower, over 2,500 feet of sewer pipe, costing over $250.
The city has built one stone and brick culvert at a total cost of $275.
The water supply of the city has been improved by the sinking of new wells and general upbuilding of the water system.
A start has been made in establishing a hose house on West Main street to protect that section of the city and the main department in its work.
The above are some of the improvements the more noticable. Thousands of dollars have been expended in reparing and improving property. All this work has given constant employment to the hundreds of carpenters and joiners, painters and paper hangers and the trades allied to them. There have been no men looking for work in Owosso for many months past who honestly sought employment. On the other hand, the lack of labor has in many cases materially retarded the progress of enterprise.
As a city, Owosso is entitled to great credit for the splendid showing she is able to make, the more so that the advancement is made despire calamaties that might easily have wrought her ruin.
NEW BUSINESS FIRMS
Detwiler & Sons groceries West Exchange street
New York Racket store, notions, East Main St.
Foster Bros., furniture and hardware, West Exchange street
Mrs.Julia Sargent, millinery, West Exchange street
H.A. Blackmar, druggist, Washington street
W.H. Bell, groceries, notions Washington street
Dora Kenyon & Co. milliners, West Exchange street
Thome & Frisbie boots and shoes Washington street
A.J. Miller, photographer, West Exchange street
McLean & Schiable, photographers N. Washington street
The Sugar Bowl West Exchange street
Chas. Thorn, cigars West Exchange street
Owosso Outfitting Co. general mdse, West Main street
S.F. Hughes & Son,laundry North Ball street
Wilkinson & Stone, clothing Washignton street.
Goodspeed Bros., boots an shoes Washington street
W.H. Mumby, cigar manufacturer, Ball street
Dutcher & Hall "The Fair", notions West Main street
J.T. Walsh boots and shoes West Main streeet
E.L. Deveraux groceries Washington streets
John Nold boots and shoes West Main street
The Evening Argus January 1, 1900