Henderson, MI (Depot) (1909) - Contributed by Paul Petosky
VILLAGE The ground upon which the village of Hendersonville is located
embraces the north part of the northeast fractional quarter of section
23, and was surveyed April 7 and 8, 1879, for A. Henderson, by Erza
Mason. The land was originally entered by Gideon Lee, of New York City,
April 7, 1836. It was by him sold to Josiah Isham, from whom it was
purchased by Andrew Henderson, who came from Ohio to this county in 1858
and removed to his purchase, upon which a log house had been previously
built by Isham. Mr. Henderson began the improvement of this land,
on which very little had been previously accomplished by the previous
occupant, and soon after built near the bank of the river another and
more commodious dwelling. William Cook came soon after from Wayne Co.,
N. Y., and located on forty acres adjoining , on the same section. The
first building in the hamlet was erected by John Henderson, son of the
original purchaser of the plat, in 1868. In it he placed a stock of
groceries and conducted the business for two weeks, when it was
purchased by C.O. Lampham, formerly of Seneca Co., Ohio. I. Brierly
afterwards built a blacksmith-shop and remained one hear, after which he
removed to the western portion of the state. John Henderson erected
another store, which he conducted for a brief period. John D. Palmer was
an arrival of 1872. He constructed a steam saw-mill for Palmer, Detwiler
& Co., which was subsequently consumed by fire, when another mill was
erected double the size of the first. A large building was at the same
time devoted to the comfort of the laborers employed in the mill. The
store which Mr. Henderson had built was consumed by fire, but another
speedily replaced it. William Detwiler arrived form Ohio in 1874, and
commenced the grocery trade on an extensive scale, having now one of the
most completely appointed stores in the county. In 1875, John Henderson
erected a spacious hotel, and is now its landlord. Dr. J. S. Bare
arrived the same year as the first resident physician of Hendersonville.
Isaac Peck came soon after, and succeeded to the mercantile enterprise
of John Henderson. The business of the village now embraces two general
stores, owned respectively by William Detwiler & DSon and Isaac Peck
(the latter of whom confines himself principally to groceries),
one wagon and blacksmith-shop, owned by M. P. Goodhue; a boot and
shoe-shop, kept by Charles Shaw; and a hardware-store.
The first post -office was established in 1860, and William Cook received the commission as postmaster, having the office at his residence. The present postmaster is George N. Detwiler, and the mail is dispensed from teh store of Detwiler & Son. Thomas Cornoran has charge of the public school located at the village. The Jackson, Lansing and Saginaw division of the Michigan Central Railroad has a station at Hendersonville, with George N. Detwiler as station-agent.
The Flouring-Mills of Geo. D. Palmer were established by the proprietor in 1878, for the purpose of engaging in an exclusive custom trade. They have two run of stones, and are furnished with steam-power from an engine of forty-five horse power. The mill is equipped with the modern improvements in machinery for manufacturing flour of a superior quality. The mills have a capacity of four hundred bushels per day, and enjoy a large patronage from residents of the surrounding county.
Source: History of Shiawassee and Clinton counties, Michigan, with illustrations and biographical sketches of their prominent men and pioneers. D. W. Ensign - 1880.
All data on this website is © Copyright by Genealogy Trails with full rights reserved for original submitters.