SHIAWASSEE COUNTY, MICHIGAN
Village of Middleton


 

Middleton, MI (East Side) (1910) - Contributed by Paul Petosky








The lands lying along both sides of the Looking-Glass River, at and opposite the mouth of Prairie creek, were about the year 1836, selected, as locations for a cluster of (prospective) villages. The old Indian trail which afterwards became the Pontiac and Grand River road, passed along the north bank of the river at this point, and in that year, as for many years later, it was the principal thorough-fare through this portion of country.

The first of these embryo villages was Middletown or Middleton.  The land on which it was laid our was entered from the United States by Sebastian Beckwith, in 1835, but at the time it was platted the proprietors  were Sebastian Beckwith, Joel Wicks, and George J. Goodhue. It was situated on the north side of the river east of the present village of De Witt, and was the north fraction of the north-west quarter of section 9 and the southwest quarter of section 4.  It was surveyed on the 25th of January, 1836, and the original map filed in Kalamazoo County, February 6th of that year. The plat shows the village to have been divided into eight lots, each of which was four by eight rods.  The streets were laid out for rods wide, except Clinton and Detroit, which were six rods in width. From the north to the south the streets were named as follows: Huron, Supervisor, Ontario, Detroit, Erie, Michigan, Mason, St. Joseph, Mill and Ionia. From east  to west, Quay, Toledo, Chicago, Main, Clinton, Monroe, Jefferson, and Washington.

This pretentious array of streets, however, did not cause the village to thrive, as on the 12th day of October, 1842, the lots of the village were sold for unpaid taxes to Milo H. Turner, David Sturgis, Hiram Stowell, W. H. Case, and W. A. Hewitt.

 

 

Source: History of Shiawassee and Clinton counties, Michigan, with Illustration and biographical sketches of their prominent men and pioneers. Michigan County Histories and Atlases, [1880] pp. 405.

 

 

 

 

 

All data on this website is © Copyright by Genealogy Trails with full rights reserved for original submitters.