SHIAWASSEE COUNTY, MICHIGAN
Village of Morrice


Morrice, MI (Grand Trunk Depot) (1909) - Contributed by Paul Petosky

 

Morrice, MI (Grand Trunk Depot) (1910) - Contributed by Paul Petosky

 



Morrice is one of the thrifty villages of the county, is located near the east line of Perry township, on the main line of the Grand Truck Railroad, and has a population of four hundred and fifty.  The site was plotted by Isaac Gale, in 1877. The land had been settled on the 1836 by Joshua Purdy, who had built a cabin just east of the present side of the school house and near an Indian trail that had eventually been in use for a great many years, as it was worn nearly a foot deep in places.  In the spring of 1837 Mr. Purdy prepared a small garden near his home, which was the first land plowed in the township. Many families settled near Mr. Purdy's claim, notably William Morrice, who came from Aberdeenshire, Scotland, with his brothers John, George and Alexander. It was from this family that the village of Morrice took its name.

For full description of the Village of Morrice, click here

 

 

Source: Past and present of Shiawassee County, Michigan, historically: together with biographical sketches of many of its leading and prominent citizens and illustrious dead.  Lansing, Michigan: Mich. Historical Publishing Association, [1906] pp. 0.

 

 

Morrice, MI (Main Street) ( ) - Contributed by Paul Petosky

 


Morrice, MI (1909) - Contributed by Paul Petosky

 

 

 

 

 

 

All data on this website is © Copyright by Genealogy Trails with full rights reserved for original submitters.