N.E. Main Street
Looking North (1910)
Contributed by Paul Petosky
The village of Perry is situated upon land settled by Horace Green. When the railroad was completed through
The towmship the company established the depot on or near
a piece of land belonging to Mr. Isaac Hale. A majority
of the inhabitants of the township were much dissatisfied.
It had been understood that the station should be located
where the railroad crossed the "Mason and Owosso State
road," this location having been decided upon by a vote of
the people of the township. With this understanding considerable contributions were made. Norman Green, with a
proviso to that effect., gave the company one thousand dollars, and five acres of ground for depot and yard purposes.
After several private meetings had been held by some of
the more prominent men in this part of the township it was
determimed to plat a village and build up a business at this
point. The village was platted on the land owned by C.
H Calkins and William McKellops. The latter gentleman
commenced at once to build a mill, and other business
places were opened in quick succession, a number of buildings being moved from the old centre. Still the railroad
company would neither receive any freight for this point
nor ship any from it. The people then petitioned the
company, but without avail. They next petitioned the
Legislature the State. After various investigations and
delays, by a special net of Assembly a committee was appointed to investigate the case. The report made, favored
the village, and resulted in compliance on the part of the
railroad company. The people then donated ties for the
side track, and contributed money to build the depot.
The business interests of the village are continually enlarging, while it is steadily increasing in population and
importance. There are two large flouring-mills, two general
stores, a hotel, two hardware-stores, two drugstores, two
harness-shops, three blacksmiths and wagon-shops. The
physicians now practicing medicine in Perry village are L.
M. Marshall and S. Cbapin.
The Perry Brick Mill was built by William McKellops,
in 1877. It has four run of stones, and has a capacity of
one hundred barrels per day.
The Reliance Mill was built by O. N. Parshall, in 1878.
It has a capacity of one hundred barrels of flour in twenty-
four hours. Its flour took the premium at the Michigan State Fair of 1879.
Shiawassee and Clinton Counties 1880