Post Office Owosso 1910

One of the pioneer experts in MI Postal History is Maurice F. Cole. He mentions from his book "Michigan Postal Markings" --- One of the most unusual markings to be found on Michigan stampless covers, as far as design is concerned, is the postmark from the Shiawassee County post office of OWOSSO. It is quite apparent from the postmark shown, which is on an 1844 letter, and from other markings available for study from this same post office, that the present name of OWOSSO was used much earlier than the date of the official change (June 8, 1875). The OWOSSO balloon marking, which was used many years after the marking shown here, shows the original spelling of OWASSO. (Courtesy of Maurice F. Cole, "Michigan Postal Markings" (1955).

April 4, 1844



Flag cancellation dated May 1, 1911, Owosso, MI


HISTORY OF THE OWOSSO, MI POST OFFICE

Benjamin O. & Alfred L. Williams, brothers, made the first land purchase in the area on August 2, 1833. It was first named Big Rapids. The first actual settlement in the township was made in 1835 by Elias Comstock, Lewis Findley and Kilburn Bedell (Elias Comstock's son-in-law).

Originally this settlement was named after Chief Wasso who presided over the area and was removed with his tribe to a reservation following the Treaty of 1836.

In May 1836, John D. Overton and David Van Wormer, employees of Elias Comstock erected a double log house near the river, the first building within the limits of the city proper.

Owosso was incorporated as a city in 1859.

The name of the first post office was spelled OWASSO and was established on November 4, 1837 with Daniel Ball as its first postmaster. The first post office was located in Moses' Store on the northeast corner of Water and Exchange Streets.

One of Owosso's first mail carriers was young Ebenezer Gould, who eventually became postmaster. He carried the mail weekly to Chesaning, Venice and Lyons on an Indian pony, covering 224 miles in six days.

The spelling changed to OWOSSO on June 8, 1875 with Lawrence A. Hamblin as postmaster at that time.

In 1909 a new post office was built on the northwest corner of Exchange and Park Streets (now known as the Murphy parking lot). This building was closed in 1961 and torn down in 1965. In 1961, the Owosso Post Office moved to its current location at 319 N. Washington Street.

Some famous people that lived in Owosso were: author James Oliver Curwood (born in Owosso on June 12, 1878 and died August 13, 1927), who wrote stories about the Yukon and Northwest Territory (his "castle" can be visited in the park by the Shiawassee River); designer of the Jefferson nickel, Felix Schlag (born December 4, 1891 in Frankfurt, Germany and died March 9, 1974 in Owosso; and Thomas E. Dewey, (born March 24, 1902 in Owosso and died March 16, 1971 in Bal Harbour, FL). He was an American political figure, governor of New York (1943-55). Admitted to the bar (1925). Dewey practiced law and in (1931) became chief assistant U.S. Attorney for the Southern District of New York. After briefly serving (1933) as U.S. Attorney, he was appointed (1935) special prosecutor to investigate organized crime and was elected (1937) district attorney of New York county. He received the Republican presidential nomination in 1944 but was defeated by Franklin D. Roosevelt; nominated again in 1948, he was widely predicted to defeat the incumbent, Harry S. Truman, but Truman retained the vote of farmers and labour to prevail. Dewey retired from politcs in 1955 but continued to advise Republican administrations.

From 1905 to 1906, three seperate railroad companies operated in Shiawassee County. The Ann Arbor Railroad operated over a distance of 292 miles from Toledo, OH to Frankfort, MI, with one of its stops at Owosso.

The Owosso Airport dedication on 100 acres and a mile from the city took place on August 3rd & 4th, 1929.

Postmasters that have served at the Owosso Post Office are listed as follows:

Daniel Ball....................November 4, 1837
Ebenezer Gould...........October 26, 1841
Benjamin O. Williams..February 20, 1846
Thomas D. Dewey........June 9, 1849
Charles M. Moses.........April 28, 1853
Henry C. Bogg...............June 29, 1857
Daniel Lyon....................June 4, 1861
W. K. Tillotson................September 3, 1866
Elijah T. Smith................May 3, 1867
Alpheus M. Beebe.........July 20, 1867
Isaac L. Peck...................May 25, 1872
Lawrence A. Hamblin.....December 10, 1873
Nathaniel Ball..................December 20, 1883
Charles H. Cossitt...........January 31, 1888
Newton McBain...............February 8, 1892
Charles Lawrence...........April 8, 1896
Edmund O. Dewey..........March 31, 1900
H. Kirk White....................July 11, 1916
George M. Dewey...........October 5, 1921
Harland P. White..............July 11, 1927
Otto L. Sprague................December 15, 1927
William A. Siegmiller.......April 13, 1936
Gerald A. Gale..................October 30, 1943
Paul S. Sinnott..................May 19, 1967
Kenneth R. Anderson......
**As of this writing information is incomplete from this time period on**
Gary Myers.......................
Helen Brown.....................September 29, 1992
James Vanpelt..................November 18, 1992
Jacquelyn S. Vican...........December 26, 1992
Lois A. Kassuba................February 17, 1999
Greg Boog.........................September 1, 1999
Jan Pickens.......................April 20, 2001
Janice F. Overcash...........June 14, 2003 to present

The Owosso Post Office (Shiawassee County) uses zip code 48867.

Contributed by Paul Petosky




logo