St. Clair County MI
The Ft. Gratiot lighthouse is the oldest in Michigan, and was constructed on Lake Huron at the St. Clair River, north of the fort in 1825. It was destroyed in 1828 during a storn and in 1829 a new one was built by Lucius Lyon who later became one of Michigan's first U.S. Senators. Originally sixty-five feet high, the white painted brick tower was extended to its present height of eighty-six feet in the early 1860s.
The lighthouse was automated in 1933, with a range of 18 miles. In 1971 the Michigan Historical Commission designated the Fort Gratiot Light an historic site.