KENOCKEE TOWNSHIP
St. Clair County MI



Kenockee Township was organized in 1855, with Abel Stockwell, Supervisor. The area of the town is 21,828 acres, watered by Mill Creek and other streams. The population of Kenockee in 1864 was 783, and in 1880, 1,591. The number of school children is estimated at 647, and the equalized valuation at 8361,170. Among the first settlers were Abel Stockwell, Waldron Ward and Allen Bills. Kenockee Village is the only small center of population in the township.

The land buyers of 1836 in this township, were Martin S. Gillett, J. W. Edmunds, A. Beard, A. Coburn, N. Dickenson, C. and J. Seymour, James Abbott, W. T. Westbrook, James Williams, H. W. Delevan, R. M. D. Mill, John H. Westbrook, O. W. Turner, L. Kingsley, L, D. Cowles, F. G. Macy, Thomas Murphy, George Whiting and S. W. Hollenshead, Cummings Sanborn, Harmon Chamberlain, and other well-known residents of the county purchased lands in this township subsequently.

SUPERVISORS.

Abel Stockwell, 1855-56; Patrick Daheny, 1857 -64; S. Coady, 1865; Daniel Smith, 1866- 69; George Strevel, 1870; Sylvester Coady. 1871-78; Martin Stapleton, 1879-80; Sylvester Coady, l88l; Martin Stapleton, 1882.

JUSTICES OF THE PEACE.

Waldron Ward, 1855, George Strevell, 1857; Porter Platted, 1857; Lawrence O’Loughlin, 1858; Daniel Smith, 1859; Henry Burnham, 1860; Samuel Thomas, 1861-65; A. F. M. Sharp, 1862; Duke McKenzie, 1862; Daniel Smith, 1868-67; Luther H. Ward, 1864; George Strevell, 1865; Henry Burnham, 1866; Salathiel Butler, 1868-73; A. W. Telfer, 1869; Duke McKenzie, 1870-73; A. F. M. Sharp, 1870-78; Daniel Smith, 1871-75; Duke McKenzie. 1876; Henry Burnham, 1877; David Bryce, 1878; Thomas Ward, 1879; Frederick Brinkman. 1880; J. A. Anderson, 1881; Samuel E. Martin, 1881; Arthur M. Sharpe, 1882.

The following were elected officers of the township of Kenockee, April, 1882: Supervisor —Martin Stapleton. Clerk—Amos A. Haskill. Treasurer—John A. Anderson. Justice— Arthur M. Sharpe. Highway Commissioner—Jackson Ward. School Inspectors—Samuel Bingham, one year; William Cogley, two years. Drain Commissioner--Ephriam Green. Constables—James McKinsie, Edward Gates, Fred Gooden, Edward Grams. Kenockee is a small village in the township of that name, eight miles north of Emmett, on the G. T. & C. R. R.

BIOGRAPHY.

In the following pages are given sketches of many of those men who made tho township their homo, and raised it from its primitive condition to the rank of one^of the first divisions of this county:

DELEMERE BROWN, farmer and lumberman, P. O. Brockway, is a native of Jefferson County, N. V.. and was born May 15, 1825. His parents removed to Canada during his early childhood, and he grew up near Brighton, near Sackett's Harbor. In 1856, he came to this county and engaged in lumbering on Black River : earned on the business there ten years, and since then has carried on the business in Lapeer County, at North Branch, manufacturing shingles near Lapeer City, and also has shingle mill above Bay City. Has been successfully engaged in lumber business over quarter of a century. He is also engaged in farming and owns 400 acres of land in this town. When he began life lie bad nothing and his success is owing to his energy and business management. Mr. Brown was married February 17, 1863, to Miss Henrietta Westbrook, a native of this county. Her parents, now living at Abbotsford, are among the oldest settlers of St. Clair County. Mr. and Mrs. Brown have one son — Guy Jefferson, born January 4, 1872. Mr. Brown is a son of Stephen and Mary Brown; his father died in 1880 at the age of eighty-three; his mother lives near him. In 1867, he built a nice home for them near his own, and since then has taken care of them.

HENRY BURNHAM, farmer, Section 9. P. 0. Brockway, is a native of Connecticut, and was born August 31, 1815. His parents removed to New York during his early childhood, and he lived there until twenty years of age; then removed with his mother and sisters to Canada, and lived there sixteen years. In 1850, he came to this county, and the following year settled in this town on the section where he now' lives, and was one of the earliest settlers here. Built a log house and began clearing his land and making his farm, and since then for the past thirty-two years has lived here. Upon the breaking-out of the rebellion, he en- listed in Company K, Second Michigan Cavalry. In September, 1864, he re-enlisted in Company K, Third Michigan Infantry; was First Sergeant and promoted to Second Lieutenant, and held his commission until the end of the war, and was also enrolling officer. He has held the office of Justice of the Peace several terms; held the office of Town Treasurer six years; and was Town Clerk six years, and held the office of Postmaster many years. In 1841, he married Miss Julia Freeman, a native of Canada. They have three children— Julia, now Mrs. Vanoring; Mary E., now Mrs. Smith; Hannah, now Mrs. McKinzie.

EZRA FREEMAN, farmer, Section 8, P. O. Brockway, is a native of Canada, and was born in Elgin County July 9, 1822. After reaching manhood he came to this county in 1847. He went back to Canada and returned here two years later, and went to work in the lumber woods; the following year he bought the land where he now lives, and in 1852, they settled upon it; it was all woods, and he began clearing it and making his farm, and worked at lumbering in the winter. During the war he enlisted and served in Company K. Third Michigan Infantry, until January, 1866, when he was discharged on account of sickness and disability. Since then has been engaged in farming and lumbering, owns his farm of eighty acres. In 1851, he married Miss Susan Edgecomb. She is a native of this county, and was born at Algonac; her parents, Asa Edgecomb and Susan Newhall, were among the earliest settlers on St. Clair River. Mr. and Mrs. Freeman have four children—Charles, Hannah, now Mrs. Andrew Smith; Vinella and Maud.

DAVID MIRACLE, farmer, Section 15, P. O. Kenockee, is a native of Canada, and was born January 22, 1834. After reaching manhood he came to this county, and be^an working in the lumber woods at $10 a month; two years later he bought the land where he now lives; it was all woods; he built a shanty and began clearing his land; there were no roads; and he could scarcely get here with a yoke of oxen. He worked in the lumber woods for many years; then engaged in lumbering for himself, and for the past eight years has been associated with Dell Brown in the business. He owns 800 acres of land, his farm is well located and has excellent improvements. When he left Canada he only had $100, and his success is the result of his own efforts. Iu 1856. he married Miss Rachel Benson, a native of Canada. They have four children—Morris, Reid, Jane and Charlotte
History of St. Clair - Chicago A.T. Andreas & Co 1883

Back Back