St. Joseph County, Michigan
John L. Anable
A well-known resident of Mount Vernon, was born at Three Rivers, Michigan, February 18, 1864, the son of John and Sarah (Poe) Anable. His father, a native of New York, born in 1823, of Welsh and Irish parentage, came early to the state of Michigan. Fond of travel and adventure, he made the trip to California by way of Cape Horn. Later he returned to Michigan, following which he spent a year in Kansas. As a carpenter and contractor, he was quick to see and profit by the advantages that the West offered, and in 1892 he came to Mount Vernon where he still resides. His wife, of German ancestry, was born in the Buckeye state and died in 1877. Of her seven children the subject of this sketch is the oldest. Mr. Anable attended the common schools of Michigan, completing his education by a course at the business college in Farmer City, Illinois. That he might have an all around preparation for a successful life, he had learned the trade of brickmaking, prior to the time he left home at the age of twenty-two. He has been a resident of Mount Vernon since 1886, which has honored him by electing him to various offices. He has been police justice, city clerk for a number of years, and during Cleveland's last administration, he was postmaster. Mr. Anable was married to Ida D. Kimble in Mount Vernon, August 2, 1891. Her father, David E. Kimble, was born in Fayette County, Ohio, in 1828. As one of the oldest pioneers of Skagit county, a sketch of his life appears elsewhere in this history. His mother Mary (Bozarth) Kimble, a native of Indiana, where she was born February 10. 1845, now lives in Mount Vernon. Mrs. Anable was born in Washington June 6, 1875, acquiring her education in the schools of the state. Mr. Anable is an influential member of the Democratic party, and has held the chairmanship of the Democratic county committee; while fraternally he is a member of the Knights of Pythias. He is owner and manager of the opera house of the city, and is a prominent and highly respected member of the community. [An Illustrated History of Skagit and Snohomish Counties, Inter-State Publishing Company, Chicago, Illinois, 1906. Submitted by M.K.Krogman]
Isaac Newton Annis
Wholesale and retail fur manufacturer; born, Michigan, Oct. 22, 1858; son of Joseph and Berintha (McKee) Annis; public school education; married at Burr Oak, Mich., (St. Joseph Co) June 27, 1883, Clara Culver. Came to Detroit from Burr Oak, Mich., 1880; was connected for six years with F. Buhl & Co., furs, etc.; has been in fur business in his own name since 1887. Clubs: Detroit Boat, Fellowcraft, Detroit Golf, Country, Automobile. Recreations: Golf and automobiling. Office: 241 Woodward AV. Residence: 78 Forest Av., E. [Source: The Book of Detroiters. Edited by Albert Nelson Marquis Copyright, 1908]
Stephen W. Cade
Son of Thomas and Elizabeth Cade, and he was born in Yorkshire, England, April 7, 1826. He emigrated to America with his parents in 1830, and came directly to the farm on which he now resides. There they erected their hewn-log-house, in which the first festivities in all that settlement were held, on the occasion of the marriage of his sister Mary to W. W. Stewart, when a good old-fashioned dance was indulged in, and the lively tune and the merry song were heard echoing in the neighboring forest. Thomas Cade, the father of the subject of this sketch, still survives, being in his ninety-third year, and resides in Sturgis. He raised a family of five children, who were all more or less identified with the history of the neighborhood in which they first settled : Mary, who consummated the first marriage in Sherman township; Thomas, who now resides in Wisconsin; Joseph, now a well-to-do resident of Sherman; Samuel, who died June 3, 1876, in Indiana ; and he of whom we write, now residing within a few rods of where he arrived an infant nearly half a century ago. He received a limited education at the public schools of Sturgis, attending them in the winter, and working on the farm during the summer mouths. He has followed agricultural pursuits all his life, and is generally considered a good practical farmer. December 25,1849, he married Phebe M., daughter of Charles Adams, a native of Cattaraugus county. New York, and tor many years a much respected citizen of Burr Oak township, this county, where he settled in 1843. This union has been blessed with two children, namely: Adeline E., born November 1, 1851; married Edward Murdock, April 15, 1874. Charles E., born December 7, 1874; married Miss Dillie Sturgis, August 10,1876.
Mr. Cade has always taken a commendable interest in the affairs of his township, and has accomplished much towards its development and prosperity.
In 1862 he was elected supervisor, which office he filled satisfactorily during the greater part of the war. He also lent much of his time in assisting the cause of the government, by acting as a recruiter, at which he was eminently successful in helping to fill the quota of the township at various times. He also gave liberally of his means, having donated at different periods nearly one thousand dollars. He was a justice of the peace seven years, and cheerfully converted a room in his house into a justice's court, thereby imperiling the furniture of said room, for the motley crowds that generally attend the trials before a justice, will smoke, you know, and consequently must expectorate, regardless of the consequences to carpets, etc. But this, and more in the cause of justice. He also furnished a fair criterion of his enterprise by purchasing largely of the bonds of the railroad, which cannot be considered as a paying investment, at least to him. But if it assisted iu the prosperity of the town, he is satisfied, - though minus the collateral that said bonds were supposed to represent. In politics Mr. Cade is a Republican; in religion a Methodist. He is genial and pleasant in manners; an enterprising and intelligent farmer, and a good citizen. [History of St. Joseph L.H. Everts 1877]
George J. Clark
George Jefferson Clark was born August 18,1810, in the town of Naples, county of Ontario, New York; was son of Calvin Clark and grandson of Elijah Clark; he lived in Naples until 1830, when be went to Albany and enlisted in the United States army, which was then quartered at Sault de St. Marie. He went with an expedition to explore the copper-mines, passing the picture rocks, which the Indians held in great reverence, as being the home of the Great Spirit; went the entire length of Lake Superior; crossed to the Mississippi river, then back to Green Bay. His discharge was procured for him by an uncle, Levi Parish, who was an influential man at Washington, on account of minority, in 1831. He then returned to Naples, New York, and stayed all winter, telling wonderful stories of the western States, which caused many to sell their homes and emigrate to this part of Michigan.
1832 found him again here, working as a builder in Detroit, Monroe and Whiteford. He, the same year, bought at government price four eighty- acre lots, or three hundred and twenty acres of land, in the northeast portion of St. Joseph county. He worked at carpenter work in this and adjoining counties until 1830, when he went up the Missouri river to Chariton, Missouri, and spent one year. In 1838 he was married in the village of Lima, Indiana, to Nancy Alexander, of Cauandaigua, New York, and moved to Constantine, where they lived two years, then moved to Missouri, by the way of Illinois, living three months in Ottawa, and was in Missouri until 1840; then lived in Constantine until 1854, working as a carpenter and architect. He drafted the plan for the county buildings and did much nice work, as many buildings in the various towns of the county still show. In 1854 he moved on to his wild land and cleared a farm. Then, in 1862, he moved to the village of Leonidas and lived nine years, when he moved back to his farm, where he died after a distressing illness of five years, of a cancer in the stomach, the 11th of September, 1871. [History of St. Joseph L.H. Everts 1877]
William Clark was born in Farmington, Ontario county, New York, December 29, 1805, and was married to Margaret Whitney December 31,1826. They had two children, both daughters, one of whom died in infancy. His wife died August 15, 1837. Mr. Clark married Sarah Mills February 9, 1841, and removed to Burr Oak, Michigan, and settled upon section fifteen in said township upon land which he had previously entered from the United States government, where he lived until the year 1865, when he sold his farm and removed to Eaton Rapids, Michigan, where he died June l9, 1874. He was converted in early life, and united with the Baptist church, of which he was ever after a consistent member. He was a man of strict integrity and honor, making it a rule to always fulfil promptly all engagements. In politics Mr. Clark was a Democrat till the formation of the Republican party, of which he was a member during life. He was elected township clerk of Burr Oak in 1843, which office he held several successive years. His widow and surviving daughter, the latter the wife of J. C. Bishop, of Burr Oak, still survive. [History of St. Joseph L.H. Everts 1877]
Among the prominent farmers of Nottawa Township, the subject of this record occupies an position in the front ranks. He represents property to the extent of 215 acres of valuable land, which is finely located on section 6 and upon which is a substantial dwelling, erected by his late honored father. Adjacent are all the other farm buildings necessary for the successful prosecution of agriculture. James Culbertson, the father of our subject, was born in County Donegal, Ireland, in the year 1801. The mother, whose maiden name was Charity Ludwig was born in Union County, Pa., where Mr. C. settled after his emigration to United States, and where they were subsequently married. They lived there until coming to this county, in 1831. The father took up land on section 6 in Nottawa Township, and was prospered in his labors as a tiller of the soil. He built a good homestead, where both he and his excellent wife spent the remainder of their days. The demise of Mr. Culbertson occurred Sept. 20, 1869. His wife survived him until the 20th of May following. Of their large family of children, six are living, and residents mostly of Illinois. The seventh child of a family including seven daughters and five sons, our subject was born at the homestead in Nottawa Township, on the 17th of January, 1811. He received the best education which could be obtained in the common schools, and has from his youth been engaged in fanning pursuits, lie was called a bachelor some lime before his marriage, which occurred after he was thirty-two years old. March 18. 1873, when he became the husband of Miss Mattie A., daughter of Rev. Samuel Dunuett of Abilene. Kan. This estimable lady was born in London, Canada, Sept. 8, 1817. and received a careful education, residing with her parents until her marriage.
Mrs. Culbertson is an extraordinary woman in many respects, and at an early period in her life gave indications of rare intellectual capacities. At the age of sixteen years she obtained a first-class certificate, and soon began teaching school at a salary in advance of many who bad followed the profession for years. From a notice gleaned from a prominent Chicago paper, we insert the following facts in relation to a career which has been largely in connection with public life. While engaged as a teacher Mrs. Culbertson by no means dropped her role as pupil, taking for her teachers the best writers of the age, and pursuing a course of reading from Shakespeare to Will Carlton, from Bancroft to Hume, and was at an early age regarded as an encyclopedia of knowledge. From her father, the Rev, S. Dunnett. an Englishman originally of French extraction, one of the most able men of the Dominion of Canada, the author of several books upon theological subjects. and one, a logical treatise, entitled "Philosophy of the Memory." Mrs. Culbertson inherits her marked intellectuality, good communicative talents, and fine executive ability. From her mother, a woman remarkable for her beauty and grace, she gets the poetic elements of her nature.
At the time of the marriage of Mr. and Mrs. Culbertson the former was interested in the growth and manufacture of essential oils. He had traveled extensively throughout the United States, besides visiting Central America and Europe. It was upon the evening of the day of return from Europe that he first met Mrs. Culbertson (Miss Mattie Dunnett), and was at once attracted to her. It is not necessary to narrate the experiences of this family during the panic between 1873 and 1879, following soon after their marriage. Millions of people realized how property values fell and money values rose during those dark days of our Republic; how good young men and women were wrecked by that panic, or made, as were those of this narrative," slaves to gold." Down went values, resources turned to liabilities, quiet to litigation, until the beautiful home of the Culbertsons, called Riverside, began to tremble.
It was during this period, though having the care of four small children, and though looking well to the ways of her household and assisting her husband to attend to a complicated business, including one suit in law which continued during seven years, and ended in a division of the Supreme Court, by which several thousand dollars were recovered, that Mrs. Culbertson investigated the subjects of finance, transportation and tariff, and became one of the most thorough political economists in the Nation. Not only her friends and co- workers, but even her opponents, admit this fact. Hon. J. C. Burrows, Republican Representative to Congress from the district In which she resides, in a private letter. "Though not personally acquainted with Mrs. Culbertson, yet I know her by reputation, and that she is a lady of high character and ability, and worthy of confidence."The Detroit Tribune added: "Mrs. C. and her husband are very influential in their party."
The first public speech of Mrs. Culbertson occurred in 1878, at Wasepi, being an impromptu one without preparation. Though preceded by Col. Norton, of Chicago, and Judge Sherwood, of the Supreme Court, and a resident of Kalamazoo. Mich., she was reported at the time as making the "interesting speech of the occasion." Soon after Mrs. Culbertson's advent into politics, a fusion was accomplished between the Greenback and Democratic parties, to which she was uncompromisingly opposed, and in which she never for one moment participated.
At Grand Rapids, in 1886, this lady was in attendance at the convention which nominated the talented and brilliant George L. Yaple for Governor of Michigan, and with whom, prior to fusion, she had spoken upon the same platform, and worked with in the greatest harmony. Why." said a man from her own county to her, "are you not here as a delegate? Do you not respect Mr. Yaple?" "Yes. very much. I am proud of St. Joe County's gifted son; but I could not disgrace myself, dishonor the cause, or discredit womanhood, by being a delegate to a fusion convention." Mrs. Culbertson later was a delegate of the Union Labor party to Cincinnati; was called Union, and responded in a speech full of thought and replete with wit and humor, laughter at times preventing procedure for several minutes. It was during one of those outbursts that Chairman Streeter gave her a slip of paper upon which was written the name of the new party, saying. "Read it to the convention" they are in a good mood and will receive it from you." She did so, and it was received with applause. Mrs. Culbertson at that time was interviewed by a reporter of the Chicago Times, who was heard to remark as he moved down the aisle of the hall. "That woman is as wise as a serpent on tariff and finance." She expressed herself as satisfied with the platform of the Union Labor party. It was all she hoped for, yet there were things not in the platform that she would rather see there than wear the best set of diamonds in the world. She was importuned by delegates from many different States to grace their platforms and aid their lecture bureaus with her presence. She. however, returned to Michigan and assisted at home. She made the canvass in the Sixth Judicial District, the result of which was the election of George P. Cobb as Judge, and a part of the city ticket in Bay City.
It has been said of Mrs. Culbertson "Her reasoning faculties are very rare." "She is pleasing, graceful and witty." "Her eloquence is of the highest type." "The true woman's soul that glows in her words and deeds guarantees her a place among the extraordinary women of this country." "She is perhaps unconsciously writing her name among the noble of the age." "She has fine Oratorical powers, and shows wonderful historical research." "She has an earnestness that reaches the heart." "Her lectures are fascinating and brilliant." "Truly talents are thine, lofty and bright, the subtle shaft of wit and that keen glance of intellect that reads intuitively the deep and mazy springs of human action." Yet all of these dwindle into insignificance and are dwarfed when compared to the gigantic dimensions of this woman's fidelity to principle and moral courage. She sacrifices for reform, as a martyr for his faith, supports as a devotee his church, upon the altar of industrial reform she has laid her talents, and outside of her family, her love. Mrs. Culbertson is not yet middle aged. Her life has been made up of "sunshine and shallow." an idolized daughter and a beloved wife, with disposition and ability to (tear her part in its struggles. For this she is thankful to Cod. in whom she trusts, and whose guidance she uniformly seeks in her labors. She has occupied the platform for some eleven years, and although her husband has not taken the prominent part in political life to which she has been led. He is willing to do whatever lies in his power to champion the cause which lies near her heart. Of their union there have been born four children, who bear the names. Estella A., Sherman L., Angelo D., and Charles S. [Source: Portrait and Biographical St. Joseph MI 1889]
Richard Daugherty was born June 8, 1823, in the town of Hector. Schuyler county, State of New York. In the fall of 1840 he removed with his father John B. Dougherty, and his family, to Branch county, in the State of Michigan. In the year 1843 he came to St. Joseph county, where he has resided ever since. In January, 1846, he married Susan Leland, daughter of George and Lydia Leland, and together they have raised a large family, grown and growing up. The oldest three children are girls. The oldest daughter died in her twenty-fourth year. There are eight sons and two daughters still living, and all at home except the oldest daughter, who is married and lives in Three Rivers. Mr. Dougherty is a breeder of Durham cattle and merino sheep, and has some most excellent stock of both varieties. [Source: Portrait and Biographical St. Joseph MI 1889]
This venerable citizen of Ferry county (Washington) is one of the pioneers of this section and has had a vast experience in many parts of the United States. He was born on Lake Champlain, New York, October 13, 1829, being the son of Thomas and Sally (Sleepes) Dimond, natives of New Hampshire. They settled in Franklin county, New York, and there remained until their death, the father passing away in 1860, and the mother in 1864. They were the parents of twelve children and our subject was the youngest. In Vermont and New York, our subject received his education, and until twenty-one remained with his parents, at which time he started out for himself. He first worked in a gristmill, then went to Palmyra, New York, and worked in a distillery. In 1852 he came via the Isthmus to California and did mining for two years. He made considerable money at this and then took a trip to New York and visited, after which he went to Sturgis, Mich., and operated in the butcher business for five years. Following this Mr. Dimond raised broom corn and manufactured brooms for some time. We next see him working in a broom factory in Detroit, and in 1864, he crossed the plains to Montana, and there mined for three years. In 1870, he came to Walla Walla and freighted for some time, after which he located a farm in Pleasant valley. In 1896 Mr. Dimond came to Ferry county, and opened a boarding house, his wife being the first white woman in the camp at Republic. He then opened a hotel and later took his present place as a mining claim, about one mile north from Republic. He does farming and handles cattle and has a well-improved estate. In 1878 Mr. Dimond married Miss Irene, daughter of William and Mary J. Torrance, natives of Oregon. She died in 1880, and in 1889. June 5, Mr. Dimond married Mrs. Mary Wiseman, widow of Harold Wiseman. Mrs. Dimond has one son by her former marriage, J. A., now living at home. Mr. Dimond is a stanch Republican. [SOURCE: "An Illustrated History of Stevens, Ferry, Okanogan, and Chelan Counties in the state of Washington"; Western Historical Publishing Company, 1904 - tr. By Sandra Stutzman]
Peter H. Felker
President General Printing Co.; born in Park Tp., St. Joseph Co., Mich., June 4, 1850; son of Philip and Sarah (Hoats) Felker; educated in "Little Red School House," St. Joseph Co., to 1868, then entered State Agricultural College of Michigan, at Lansing, graduating Nov. 13, 1871, degree of B.S., and for efficiency in botanical studies received M.S., in 1873; married, Grand Rapids, Mich., Nov. 1, 1877, Kate M. Bertsch; two children: Ruth Katherine and Paul Henry. Engaged on farm until 1868; taught in county district schools, winters of 1868 and 1869; after graduation, principal in Ward School, Lansing, Mich., 1872 and 1873; instructor in history, and foreman Horticultural Department, Michigan College, 1874-75; engaged in grocery business, Grand Rapids, Mich., 1876-77; became associate editor American Grocer, Now York City, 1878, and continued until 1880; removed to St. Louis, 1880, and editor St. Louis Grocer to 1892; editor St. Louis Dry Goods Reporter, 1892-1902; engaged in printing business as president Shultz Printing Co.; firm name changed to General Printing Co., 1905, of which is still president. Member Business Men's League; was charter member St. Louis School Patrons' Alliance, of which was president, 1899-1906; chairman local Michigan Association World's Fair; has been president several local improvement associations, at present of McCausland Avenue Improvement Association. Republican. Member Royal Arcanum. Author of Grocer's Manual, 1879 (seven editions); also Letters to a Young Merchant and Talks to Clerks, 1880 (three editions). Recreations: fishing, gardening, study of plant and animal life. Office: 1017 Morgan St. Residence: 6949 Mitchell Ave. (Source: The Book of St. Louisans, Publ. 1912. Transcribed by Charlotte Slater)
Mattie A. Freeman
Freethinker and lecturer, born in Sturgis, St. Joseph county, Mich., 9th August, 1839. Her ancestors were French and German, Americanized bgenerations of residence in the State of New York. Her father was a freethinker, her mother a close-communion Baptist. The mother tried to keep the children from what she considered the contamination of infidelity. They attended revivals and passed through all the usual experiences, but the daughter became an infidel in her early youth. Mrs. Freeman as a child learned rapidly. Her first public discussion was at the age of fourteen. An associate editor of a weekly newspaper had written an article on the inferiority of woman. Over a pen-name the school-girl replied to it. The controversy was kept up through several papers, the German student wondering, in the meantime, who it was that was making so effective an argument against him. He w as thoroughly disgusted when he discovered that his opponent was a girl. At fifteen she taught her first school. It was a failure. She was yet in short dresses, and the "big" pupils refused to obey her. She endured it for six weeks, and then, disheartened and defeated, sent word to her father to take her home. About that time she heard Abby Kelly Foster speak on abolition, and the young girl's heart became filled with a burning hatred of slavery. Being invited soon after to take part in a public entertainment, she astonished all and offended some by giving a most radical anti-slavery speech. Her father was an old-time Whig and retained an intense admiration for Henry Clay. Even he was horrified to hear his young daughter, of whom he had been so proud, attack his dead pro-slavery idol. If her first attempt at teaching was a failure, the subsequent ones were crowned with success. She was hired to take charge of a winter school, receiving only one-third the pay that had been given to the male teachers, and had the credit of having had the best school ever taught in the district. Soon after the war, in a city in Illinois, whither she had gone from the East, a prominent so-called liberal minister preached a scathing sermon against women. Highly indignant, a committee of the suffrage association went to Mrs. Freeman and requested her to reply. At first she hesitated, but finally consented, and her lecture was a success. She has delivered many public lectures. After the Chicago fire Mrs. Freeman devoted herself to literary work, writing four years for a Chicago paper. She is the author of many serials, short stories and sketches. "Somebody's Ned," a story of prison reform, was published in 1880, and received many favorable notices. At that time Mrs. Freeman began her work in the Chicago Secular Union. To this for ten years she has devoted herself almost exclusively. She gave the first lecture on Henry George's "Progress and Poverty" ever delivered in Chicago. She is interested in the reform movement, and especially in woman's emancipation, which she is convinced underlies all other questions. Her last venture is the publication of the "Chicago Liberal." Her home is now in Chicago, and she is corresponding secretary of the American Secular Union. [Source: American Women by Frances Elizabeth Willard, Mary Ashton Rice Livermore, Vol. 1, 1897. Transcribed by Marla Snow]
Fred Charles Harvey
Lawyer; born, Mendon, Mich., (St. Joseph) June 1, 1858; son on N. Smith and Lydia P. (Cole) Harvey; educated in public schools and at University of Michigan; married at Monroe, Mich., Nov. 28, 1884; Miss Mary E. Adams. Studied law and was admitted to the bar, 1879; Began practice as member of firm of Wisner, Speed & Harvey, the firm later becoming Wisner & Harvey; has practiced alone since death of My. Wisner, Aug., 1902. Secretary Detroit Timber and Lumber Co., director E. Ferguson Co., Limited, Ferguson Estate Co., Limited. Democrat. Episcopalian. Member Michigan State Bar Association, Detroit Bar Association. Mason. Club: Cribbage. Recreation: Yachting. Office 309-310 Moffat Bldg. Residence: 956 Trumbull Av. [Source: The Book of Detroiters by Albert Nelson Marquis 1908]
Henry J. Hebbert
Manufacturer; born, Sturgis, Mich. (St. Joseph Co ) Feb. 28, 1867; son of James C. and Eleanor S. (Smith) Herbert; educated in public schools of Sturgis; married at Detroit 1898, Miss Emma Walker. Began business career with the Detroit Umbrella Co., which he organized, 1890; then went to New York City as member of firm of Clogg, Wright & Co., umbrella manufacturers; returned to Detroit, 1899, and became member of firm of Kelsey-Herbert Co., manufactures of toilet articles, of which has been president since 1903. Also secretary and treasurer Detroit Bent Goods Co.; director fox Bros. & Co. Republican. Presbyterian. Clubs: Detroit, Detroit Boat. Office: 277-289 Monroe St. Residences: 185 Seyburn Av. [Source: The Book of Detroiters by Albert Nelson Marquis 1908]
John Hile was born in Northumberland county, Pennsylvania, on the 17th of July, 1828. In 1844, he moved with his parents to St. Joseph county, Michigan. In the spring of 1853, he left home and went overland to California, crossing the plains with an ox team, was engaged in mining and lumbering until 1859, then returned by way of the Isthmus of Panama. He reached Michigan in August, 1859, and the 1st of the following November, married Miss Sarah Jane Reed, who bore him three children, two of whom are living. She died on the 8th of April, 1864, soon after which Mr. Hile enlisted in the Fourteenth Michigan Light Artillery and served till July, 1865. He then returned to his home and children, and on the 3rd of September, 1865, married Miss Henrietta E. Vincent, who has borne him four children, three of whom are living. A month after his marriage, Mr. Hile brought his family to Minnesota and lived in the village of Morristown till the following spring when he purchased land in section seventeen and in March moved his family to the farm which has since been their home. He has been a member of the board of Supervisors and is at present Chairman; in 1880, was elected Assessor of the town and upon the organization of his school district was chosen Director and is now Treasurer. (Source: History of Rice County, Minnesota, Published by Minnesota Historical Company, Minneapolis, Minn. 1882; Contributed by Veneta McKinney)
Among the truly representative men of St. Joseph county, none were more prominently connected with its early improvement than was James Hutchison. He was one of the pioneers of Park township, and was in every respect adapted to the arduous life of the early settler. He had a robust constitution, excellent health, great intelligence, and a knowledge of men and things well calculated to inspire energy into those less able to cope with the trials incident to a new settlement. His virtues were soon recognized by his fellow-pioneers, for we find him at an early day county surveyor, and also one of the county commissioners, which offices he was abundantly qualified to fill, being a man possessing considerable more than an average education for those days.James Hutchison was born in Columbia county, Pennsylvania, November 14, 1799, and died February 2, 1866. At an early age he evinced a desire for study, and although his father's circumstances would not admit of his attending school for more than
about six months, yet we find him often poring over such books as he could procure, having a particular preference for those treating on civil engineering and mathematics, in which sciences he became tolerably proficient. He was pre-eminently a self-made man, and although commencing life quite poor, he left, at his death a very fair competency. On the 11th of May, 1837, he married Rosanna S. Fortner, a native of Pennsylvania, who still survives. She proved to him a true and faithful wife; sharing his toils and cares, and doing all in her power to assist him in his struggles in the development of a new country. Three children were sent to gladden the hearts of the good couple, of whom but one survives. Oliver H. P. died when he was in his twenty-seventh year, and Epaphroditus in his infancy, leaving but Stephen W., who now resides on the old homestead, and is well-known throughout the county as a raiser of poultry and bees. In politics Mr. Hutchison was a Democrat, having voted for Andrew Jackson in 1832, and always remained true to the old Jacksonian political principles. In religion he was a Presbyterian, and though never making any ostentatious display of his religious views, yet was ever a devout Christian; a good citizen; a firm friend, and, in fine, a true specimen of nature's noblemen. [Source: Portrait and Biographical St. Joseph MI 1889]
William N. Lintz
William N. Lintz was born March 23, 1869, at Constantine, Michigan. He attended the public and high schools until he was eighteen years of age, but helped his father on the farm until he was twenty. When he came to Montana in 1889 his first employment was for Clark Brothers in Leeton county, now Chouteau county, on their sheep ranch. He remained one season, and then went to Mr. George Miller's dairy ranch in the same county. He was there one season and then settled on the north fork of Sun river as a ranchman for himself. He began on a very small scale, was fairly successful, continued for seven years and then sold out and came to Augusta, Montana. Here he began an implement and machinery business, which he continued for two years, and then sold out and became manager for the Augusta Mercantile Company, remaining there nearly two years. He then went to Conrad, Montana, as manager for the H. E. Brockman Mercantile Store, remaining nearly two years. At the end of this time he went to Great Falls, Montana, as chief clerk for the Bee Hive Mercantile Company, and was with that company nearly two years. Removing then to Big Hall Basin, he took charge of the J. P. Lossel & Company dry goods store and was engaged there for eighteen months. In the spring of 1908 he came to Deer Lodge and opened a gentleman's furnishing, clothing and shoe store on Main street. He has been very successful and his store is modern and up-to-date. Mr. Lintz is in politics a Progressive. He was secretary of the Democratic Central Committee of Lewis and Clark county. Fraternally he belongs to the W. O. W., in which he has held all chairs, and to the M. W. of A. and the L. O. O. M., being treasurer of the last. He is also a member of the Masonic fraternity. He is secretary of the Business Men's Association and trustee of the State Merchants' Association. He is owner of city realty. Mr. Lintz has no one to thank for his successful life and he even earned the money for the cost of his education. He is progressive in every sense of the word, and is highly respected and prosperous. He married Miss Mary E. Doty, of Constantine, Michigan, his birthplace, September 26, 1896. They have four children, Ray D. who is in the public schools, Garnet A., Helen and Louise. The father of the subject of this sketch, George Lintz, is a native of Germany and is a farmer of Constantine, Michigan. His mother was Miss Rebecca Martin, who was a native of Indiana. There were six children in the parents' household: Ledah, now Mrs. Harry Young, of Constantine. Michigan; Charles E., a farmer of Constantine; Lillie, now Mrs. William Hoffman, of Craig, Montana; John P., a mechanic of Detroit, Michigan; George M., a farmer of Constantine. [Source: "The History of Montana" by Helen Fitzgerald Sanders, Volume 3, 1913 - Submitted by Friends of Free Genealogy]
Of the very few pioneers of Park township now remaining, none stand higher in the estimation of the public than does the subject of this sketch; hence, a representation on the pages of our history is but a fitting tribute to his general worth. John Lomison was born in Turbet township, Northumberland county Pennsylvania, November 14, 1807. He comes of a good old Scottish family, and boars the impress of the careful training he received at the hands of his parents, as his entire life has fully demonstrated. Until his nineteenth year he worked on his father's farm, and then apprenticed himself to one Jacob Hibler, under whom he learned the trade of tanner and currier. His industry and close application to his trade early won for him the good opinion of his master, and at the close of his apprenticeship he was made foreman of the establishment, and subsequently became a partner in it. He remained in this position about seven years and then worked at the business on his own account for four years. In 1836 he abandoned his trade and turned his attention to farming. For the furtherance of this new vocation he returned to Michigan, and on the 1st of September, 1836, he arrived at his new home, entering eighty acres at first, and subsequently the same amount adjoining his first purchase. He has added to this until he now owns one hundred and eighty-four acres of highly-cultivated land, having thereon good substantial buildings. On the 17th of March, 1833, he married Miss Sarah Fisher, by whom he has had an interesting family of eight children—four sons and four daughters. Of the sons, two, Franklin and Clarence, served in the rebellion; Franklin in the Sixth Michigan Infantry (afterwards heavy cavalry), under General Benjamin Butler, and was killed at Port Hudson, May 27, 1863; Clarence served in the Twenty-fourth Michigan Infantry, and received an honorable discharge. Mr. Lomison has been several times elected to the offices of supervisor, town clerk and justice of the peace, and also once a representative in the State legislature. He served in these various capacities of trust with honor to himself and to the satisfaction of his constituents. His character for Honesty and business ability is well known; and perhaps no man in St. Joseph county has been oftener selected by those leaving fortunes, to administer on their estates, than he. And we know that none have fulfilled the trusts committed to their care with greater integrity or more to the satisfaction of those interested. We mention one instance of an estate lie administered on, not because we wish to make any particular merit of it, but simply as illustrating his character as a business man and as a faithful trustee: we refer to the estate of John H. Bowman, of Three Rivers, which, when probated, was assessed at twenty-two thousand dollars. After paying the debts of the estate and some bequests amounting to over twenty thousand dollars, he handed over to the heirs property assessed at twenty-two thousand dollars, being equal to the entire estate when coming under his administration, after settling everything. In politics Mr. Lomison is a Republican, and while never having sought political preference, yet he has always earnestly served the best interests of the party when chosen by it to fill any office. In religion he is a Presbyterian, having been a member of that church for thirty-five years, and an elder in it for more than thirty. By thrift and economy he has accumulated a neat fortune, and now, at the age of threescore years, he enjoys the fruits of a well-spent life. Looking back over the past, he harbors no regrets, and looking to the future, he has no fears. Having always enjoyed good health, great energy and keen enterprise, and having been blessed with an admirable wife, who fearlessly shared his many trials, rejoicing ever at his success, and cheering him on in all his difficulties (and in the life of the pioneer they are many), they won a mutual triumph, and will finally reap a great reward. [Source: Portrait and Biographical St. Joseph MI 1889]
Charles B. Masser
Dr. Charles B. Masser was born in St. Joseph county, Michigan , on October 1, 1839, the son of William and Rachel (Boone) Masser, who were natives of Pennsylvania , and were reared, educated and married in that state. Soon after their marriage they became pioneers in St. Joseph county, Michigan , where they bought four hundred acres of government land which they developed and improved into an excellent farm. The father also kept a store at Three Rivers for a number of years, and both parents died there. Their offspring numbered eight, of whom only two are living, the Doctor and a brother who still resides in Michigan . The Doctor grew to manhood in his native county, and received his early education at its primitive country schools of that day. After leaving school he engaged for some years in farming and railroading, and at the age of twenty-five began the study of medicine, pursuing it a number of years and practicing in Michigan . In 1872 he removed to Kansas and, locating in the county of Republic , again devoted his attention to his profession. Prior to this time, in 1869, he was graduated from the Kansas City Medical College . He remained in Kansas actively engaged in practice until the spring of 1888, when he came to Colorado and settled in Mesa county, at the town of Fruita , where he has since made his home and the seat of his active professional work. He has taken several post-graduate courses at the medical schools of Denver , and by a close and judicious study of the literature of his profession has kept abreast with its most advanced ideas. In 1891 he established a drug store which he has since conducted in connection with his practice, and in both he has been very successful. He was married on January 15, 1868, to Miss Gertrude A. Powers, of St. Joseph county, Michigan . They have had eight children, five of whom are living, James, Henry, Gertrude, Mary and Lulu. Those deceased are Marta, Bonita and Lillie. In political faith the Doctor is a Prohibitionist, and he is firm in the support of the principles he espouses. (Source: Progressive Men of Western Colorado , Publ 1905. Transcribed by Kim Mohler)
Ira F. Packard
A retired physician and surgeon of Sturgis, and a man who is well known throughout Southern Michigan, both as a practitioner and a citizen, is the subject of a most interesting history, which is substantially as follows: Born on the 7th of June, 1808, our subject is a native of Royalton, Windsor, Co., Vt., and the youngest son of Benjamin Packard, who was the youngest son of Elijah Packard, the latter of whom settled at an early day in the town of Bridgewater, Mass. Benjamin Packard, the father of Ira, moved to the town of Royalton, in the State of Vermont, soon after the close of the Revolutionary War. Nothing of especial note occurred during the boyhood of our subject, his time being spent mostly in obtaining such education as the schools of that day afforded, while he employed his time during vacation working on the farm. When he was fifteen years old he was deprived of a father's care by death, and was thrown upon his own resources in completing his education and obtaining a living. In the spring of 1824, young Packard repaired to Boston, Mass., and took a position in the wholesale and retail store of Kittridge & Wyman, dealers in groceries and West India goods. He continued through the summer and fall with this firm, then returned home to attend the winter term of school in his native town. In the spring of the year 1825, our subject entered the service of the whale ship, "Alexander," and upon the long voyage which followed gathered much information in regard to a seafaring life and the world in general. The ship returned to New Bedford in the month of July following, with a cargo of oil and bone, and Mr. Packard subsequently made upon her several other short voyages. The fall of 1828 found him in Philadelphia, Pa., where he was engaged for a brief time in the Pottsville mines as the employee of Aaron Burr, and which were in charge of his nephew George. In February, 1829, he migrated to Allegany County, N.Y., settling in the town of Pike, which was the home of a brother, and where he sojourned a brief time; then going to Yorkshire in Cattaraugus County, he established himself in the mercantile business. On the 27th of April, 1829, he was married to Miss Emily M., daughter of Col. Araunah Hibbard. This business venture of Mr. Packard not proving a bonanza, he closed out, and going into Erie County, Pa., engaged in the grocery and provision trade upon the present site of the custom house there. Here he was again doomed to disappointment, the cholera breaking out and all business being suspended for the time. Not being possessed of capital by which he could lay idle, he was compelled to close out his business. He then returned to Yorkshire, and engaged as a clerk with Messrs. A. & W. Hibbard. In the spring of 1836 our subject commenced the study of medicine and surgery under the instruction of Dr. Bela H. Colegrove, of Sardinia, Erie Co., N.Y., with whom he continued a period of three years. In the meantime he attended medical lectures in the Western College of Physicians and Surgeons at Fairfield. Upon completing his studies he removed with his family to the town of Sherman, now Sturgis, this county, of which he has since been a resident. Having secured a lucrative practice, Dr. Packard followed his profession continually until the spring of 1850, when his close application to his duties began to have a perceptible effect upon his health. He now decided upon a trip to California, and accordingly spent the summer following in the gold fields of the New Eldorado. He was successful in the mines, obtaining a reasonable recompense for his time and trouble. He returned to Sturgis in the spring of 1851, and practically retired from practice, although occasionally treating the old friends who were unwilling to give their cases into new and strange hands. Since withdrawing from his profession Dr. Packard has been identified with various business enterprises in the city, serving as a Director of the National Bank. He has distinguished himself as a public-spirited citizen, one having a warm interest in the growth and progress of his adopted State. In religious sentiment he possesses a broad, liberal and Catholic spirit, and while being a man of decided views, with his own peculiar beliefs and convictions, he willingly accords that same privilege to others without comment or reflection. He was originally a Whig in politics, and upon the organization of the Republican party cordially embraced its principles, and has been a supporter of its general policy up to the present time. Dr. Packard and his wife became the parents of a family of five children, three sons and two daughters, the record of whom is as follows: Nelson I. was born April 8, 1830, and married Miss Lizzie A. Toby, Oct. 15, 1856; they have no children. This son is President of the National Bank of Sturgis, a man of fine talents, and a highly respected citizen. Homer H. Packard was born Aug. 10, 1832, and married Miss Sarah C. Stillman, Dec. 9, 1858; he is a druggist by profession, and a resident of Cheboygan, this State; he has no children. Emily M. was born Nov. 6, 1834, and was married to Henry S. Church, Oct. 25, 1860; Mr. C. is a grocer in good circumstances, and a resident of Sturgis; they have no children. Frank S. was born Feb. 10, 1838, and was married, Sept. 25, 1860 to Miss Jane E. Clark; they have three children, Frank I., Gertrude A. and James J., and are residents of Sturgis; his son Frank, Jr., was born Aug. 17, 1861, became a youth of great promise, choosing the profession of medicine, and was graduated from Ann Arbor (Mich.) Medical College; he died at Cheboygan, Feb. 8, 1888. Gertrude A. married Nelson Upham, and lives in Cheboygan, being the mother of one son, Frank Sherman; James I. was born Oct. 8, 1863; they have three sons: Frederick I., born April 29, 1866; Nelson H., May 17, 1874; and Thomas J., Aug. 7, 1885. All live in Emporia, Lyons Co., Kan. The ancestral history of this branch of the Packard family is as follows: Probably the first representative in this country was one Samuel Packard, who, with his wife and eight children, came from Windham, near Hingham, in England, in the ship “Diligence,” of Ipswich, with 133 passengers, John Marin, Master, and settled in Hingham, in the year 1638. Thence he went to Bridgewater, Mass., where he died in 1684. He was the father of twelve children, namely: Elizabeth, Samuel, Zaccheus, Thomas, John, Nathaniel (our subject), Mary, Hannah, Israel, Joel, Deborah and Deliverance. Nathaniel, one of the sons of Samuel Packard, and the great-great-grandfather of our subject, married a daughter of John Kingman, and became the father of thirteen children, namely: Samuel; Zachariah, the great-grandfather of our subject; George, Fearnot, Margaret, Sarah, Lydia, Faithful, Hannah, Deliverance, Elizabeth, Mary and Deborah. Zachariah married Abigail, the daughter of Richard Davenport, in 1724, and became the father of our children – Elijah, Abigail, Nathaniel and Nathan. Rev. Elijah, the son of Zachariah, was graduated from Howard University in 1750, and settled in the ministry at Plymouth, in 1764. He afterward went to Marlboro, and was married to Mary Rider; they became the parents of four children –Abigail, Benjamin, Elijah and Mary. Benjamin married Mehitable Fobes, daughter of Eliab Fobes, in 1782, and moved to Vermont in 1784. Their son Lyman was born in January of that year, and died in December, 1819; Benjamin, who was born July 15, 1787, died April 13, 1869; Charles was born June 28, 1790, and died Nov. 13, 1808; Lucy was born May 21, 1800, and died March 17, 1803; Silas was born in 1795, and died Sept. 8, 1830; Lucinda was born May 8, 1805, and died Oct. 27, 1831. Their youngest son was Ira, the subject of this sketch.
Benjamin Packard, the father of our subject, who was born in Bridgewater, June 7, 1760, served as a Lieutenant in the Revolutionary War, and was on duty at the Battles of Lexington and Bunker Hill, and witnessed the surrender of Gen. Burgoyne. He was wounded by a ball across the breast, and by buckshot in the arm. He saw the smoke rise from behind a bush, and shot through the bush, and said there was no more smoke came up from behind the bush. Elijah Packard, the paternal grandfather of our subject, was murdered by a robber and highwayman, one Bolton, who was afterward hung for robbery in Canada, confessing his guilt on the scaffold. Dr. Ira S., our subject, has a deed done in the handwriting of his grandfather, Aug. 29, 1765. He also has the old family Bible in two large volumes, which was printed in London, England, in 1683, and was bought by Grandfather Elijah Packard. It has written on the fly-leaf "Elijah Packard, his book, price £21. Bought of William Joseph Snell, of Bridgewater, in the year 1752." That sum in American money would be $101.64. Mrs. Emily M. (Hibbard) Packard, the wife of our subject, was born in Clarence, Niagara Co., N. Y., April 23, 1811, and was the first female white child a native of that county. Her father was Col. Araunah Hibbard, a soldier of the War of 1812, who was severely wounded at Queenstown Heights. He was one of two brothers who came from England at an early day. [Portrait and Biographical Album of St. Joseph County, Michigan; Chapman Brothers, 1889; Contributed by Kristen Rayner]
In this biography the reader is introduced to one of the old settlers and esteemed citizens of the county, who in the days of its earlier history look an active part in the efforts that have resulted so favorably toward the attainment of its present position. His farm is situated upon section 13, Nottawa Township, comprises 188 acres and is well improved and cultivated.
Mr. Palmer was born in Walworth, Wayne Co., N. Y., on the 7th of May 1815. He is the son of John and Nancy (Lamb) Palmer, who emigrated to Lenawee County, this Slate, in the spring of 1831, and settled on land in what is now Ridgeway Township, where, after reaching a good old age, they died. They were the parents of eleven children, of whom our subject was the second born. He came with his parents when they removed to this State, and was at the time fifteen years of age. He continued to live with them until the year 1838, and then with his wife he came to this county, and settled in Nottawa Township. His marriage was celebrated in Lenawee County, in what is now Ridgeway Township, on the 17th of September, 1837, when he was united with Mary Schreder. This lady was born near the city of Philadelphia, on the 21st of July 1818. She is the daughter of John and Susan (Wainbold) Schreder, who also came to Michigan in 1831, and settled in the same neighborhood as the parents of our subject, and they continued to make their home there until their death. They were the parents of seven children, their daughter Mary being the eldest. When Mr. and Mrs. Palmer emigrated to this county the country was very little better than a wilderness, and upon their settlement in the township their first work was to make a clearing, that done, to begin to improve the laud and cultivate it. Their first home was constructed of logs, and in it they made their home for many years. It has now, however, been replaced by a fine brick structure, making a very pleasant and comfortable home. The farm is provided with the various machines and implements needed for effective and remunerative operations thereon, and the result is seen in the harvests that are gathered year by year. The home circle of our subject includes seven children, whose names are recorded as follows: George W., Charles A., Harvey D., Celia L., Cyrus A., Ellis A. and Fred A. George is at present residing at Wasepi, as is also his brother Charles A.; Harvey D. is living in the State of New York; Cyrus is at Three Rivers; and Ellis is living at Howard City, in this State. Celia is happily married to W. W. Howell, of Jackson. Mich.; Fred still lives in Nottawa upon the home farm.
The golden wedding of Mr. and Mrs. Palmer was celebrated on the 17th of September, 1887, at which a large number of relatives and friends were present, as he is known throughout the county, and respected by all. Practically, he has grown up with the country. He has preferred always to give his attention to his own farming and other business, and has not cared to enter the lists in the political arena. He has usually voted the Republican ticket, of which party he has been a member for over fifty years. When a younger man he was somewhat active in its campaigns, although not otherwise taking any special part. His character is such as to commend itself to all, and inconsequence he receives that peculiar regard which amounts almost, to veneration that is given to those so long identified with one community. His wife is also worthy in every way, and is the recipient of the same respect as her husband, and holds a high place in the regard of her friends and neighbors, as was expressed at the recent happy gathering referred to above. Mr. Palmer is living on 160 acres of land he entered from the Government under President Jackson, from which he has never moved, perhaps the only one in his township. [Portrait and Biographical 1889]
Ira E. Shrauger
Mayor of Mount Vernon, and senior member of the law firm of Shrauger & Barker, was born in Parkville, Michigan, in 1858, the son of Francis J. and Anna (Umstead) Shrauger. The father was a descendant of the Pennsylvania Dutch stock. He was a pioneer in the state of Michigan, to which he came with his parents in the early thirties. He followed railroading for years, as conductor on the Rock Island system, and during the war he carried the wounded soldiers into Rock Island on what might be designated an ambulance special. He also at one time was a hardware merchant, and a prominent member of the Grand Army. He died in 1888, at the age of fifty-five. The mother, born in Pennsylvania in 1838, is now living at Exira, Iowa. Having spent the first twelve years of his life in his native city, Mr. Shrauger came with his parents to Audubon county, where after a short time they took up their permanent residence at Exira, at which place he received his education, graduating from the Academy, and at the early age of fifteen teaching his first term of school. In the succeeding fourteen terms which he taught he employed all his leisure time in the study of law, and in 1888 was admitted to the bar in Nebraska, to which state he had moved seven years previous. For five years he was editor of The Enterprise, the leading paper of Humboldt, Nebraska, and city clerk for the entire time of his residence there except when serving as city attorney. In 1890 he came West, first locating in Bellingham, where he practiced law for eighteen months, and later in Hamilton, where he opened a bank in connection with his law practice. Elected county attorney in 1896, he came to Mount Vernon, since which time he has made that place his home and has been connected with every public enterprise, believing this to be the best town in the country and one whose financial basis is especially worthy of praise. Nominated a second time for the office of attorney, he barely missed being elected by sixty-five votes, while other candidates on the same ticket, the Fusion, were defeated by several hundred votes. At the expiration of his term of office he formed a co-partnership with Mr. E. P. Barker, and together they have built up a splendid business. In 1902 he was appointed mayor, and elected to the same office in 1901. Mr. Shrauger was married in Skagit county in 1892, to Mayme Finne, who was born in Chicago, but came with her parents to California where she grew to womanhood. Mr. and Mrs. Shrauger have three children: Donald L., Clyde F. and Maynard F. Few members of his party, the Democratic, have rendered it more valuable service than has Mr. Shrauger, who is chairman of the county central committee, and who has represented the party in both county and state conventions, in which his personal popularity and wide practical knowledge of men and affairs rendered him a prominent figure. The legal profession, of which he is such an able member, has honored him by electing him president of the bar association. As treasurer of the county fair association, he is in close touch with the farming interests of the county and state. The Commercial club and the Knights of Pythias are pleased to claim him as an active member. The characteristics so clearly manifested in the boy-teacher, - ambition and industry. - joined to the highest integrity, growing and developing with the passing years, have insured for the man of today the exalted position which he holds in town, county and state. [An Illustrated History of Skagit and Snohomish Counties, Inter-State Publishing Company, Chicago, Illinois, 1906. Submitted by M.K.Krogman]
Edward P. Snyder
Born, Chillicothe, O., Apr. 13, 1858; son of Jacob P. and Magdalene (Gartner) Snyder; educated in public schools of Chillicothe; married at Three Rivers, Mich., (St. Joseph Co) May, 1889, Miss Lillian Shaad. Began active career, 1871, in employ of Miller, Patterson & Co., Chillicothe; came to Detroit, 1881, and was traveling salesman for A.C. McGraw & Co., 1881-95; was one of the organizers of the Michigan Shoe Co., 1895, and has since been vice president of the company. Methodist. Office: 146-148 Jefferson Av. Residence: 401 The Lennox. [Source: The Book of Detroiters Edited by Albert Nelson Marquis Copyright, 1908]
William Stear is a prominent and prosperous farmer of Constantine Township, where he has cleared and improved as good a farm as is to he found within the boundaries of St. Joseph County. He is a native of England, born in Lincolnshire, Jan. 10, 1828. He was reared on a farm in his native shire, and was there married, July 2, 1850 to Miss Frances Haylock, who was born in the same shire as himself, a year and a few days later, her birth occurring Jan. 25, 1829. They continued to reside in their native shire until the spring of 1861, when they came to America with the five children who had in the meantime been born to them. They landed at New York and came directly to Michigan. For three years after that Mr. Stear worked out by the day in Constantine, and by prudence and wise economy he had saved up enough money to warrant him in purchasing land and beginning the task of building up a home. He first bought a tract of forty acres, which is still included in his present farm. It was then nearly all covered with woods. In the years of toil and hardship that followed, in which he was aided and encouraged by his wife, he not only cleared his land from the forest and got it under fine cultivation, but was enabled to increase its area by further purchase, until he now owns ninety-three acres of fertile and highly productive land, and he and his wife have built up a very pleasant and comfortable home, of which they may well be proud.
The following is recorded of the eleven children born to Mr. and Mrs. Stear; Maria is the wife of Manford Christian, of Constantine Township; William lives at home; Mary A. died when about six years old; Hattie is the wife of Jacob Brands, of Constantine Village; Charles lives in Montana; Lizzie is the wife of Andy Craner, of Three Rivers; Susie, who was the wife of Charles Brokaw, died in Constantine, July 2, 1884; George is a school teacher; Fannie is at home; Robert H. died in infancy, and Frank is at home.
Mr. and Mrs. Stear are people whose kind hearts generously respond to any call for aid or sympathy from the unfortunate or needy, and all such find in them true friends. By their united labors, prudence and wise management they have obtained a comfortable competence, and can pass their declining years free from toil and anxious cares that beset their earlier life. Their many worthy trails of character have gained them the respect and esteem of all in the community of which they have been members for so many years. Mr. Stear takes a warm interest in the public affairs of his adopted country, and votes intelligently with the Republican party, considering its policy the safest and best in the guidance of National affairs. [Portrait Biographical 1889]
William J. Turnbull
William Turnbull, pioneer settler of this county, who with his excellent wife stands high among the people who have known him for so many years, is in the enjoyment of a good home in the shape of a well-cultivated farm lying on section 29 in Burr Oak Township. Here he has eighty acres of land, and all the buildings necessary for his comfort and convenience. He has lived the life of a quiet and law abiding citizen at peace with his neighbors, and seeking to do good as he had opportunity. A native of Glenville, Schenectady Co., N. Y., our subject was born July 25, 1824, and is the son of Robert and Elizabeth Turnbull, the former a native of Duanesburg, N. Y., and the latter of Princetown. They were the parents of five children, and the father followed farming all his life. The eldest son, George, is in Princetown; Mrs. Picket and Ellen are in Schenectady; Eveline (Mrs. John Clow), continues a resident of Glenville, NY.; Agnes (Mrs. Calvin Slawson, lives in Todd County, Minn. Our subject is the eldest child of his parents. He was married in Glenville, NY, Oct. 29, 1850, to Miss Harriet N. Hullman, who was a native of Glenville, and the daughter of Benoni and Mary Bullman, who were also natives of Glenville, and passed from earth at their home in that place many years ago. Mr. and Mrs. Trumbull spent the first seven years of their wedded life in Glenville, then came to Southern Michigan, locating in Burr Oak Township, upon the land which they occupied until 1866, and which Mr. T. sold that year, purchasing his present homestead, which at that time embraced 120 acres. He sold forty acres of this in 1844 and has eighty acres left, which is amply sufficient to furnish him with the necessary income for his comfort and enjoyment. His career has been one marked by honesty and integrity, while his estimable wife has been a true companion and helpmate, standing by his side in storm and sunshine, and inciting him to every worthy endeavor. [Source: Portrait and Biographical - St. Joseph MI 1889]
© Copyright by Genealogy Trails